Menu

AP Chemistry Labs

We started the year using Spectrum Chemistry but that has proved too simple for ds so we added Thinkwell AP Chemistry.  We are continuing with Spectrum as well.  I'm wondering if I should also supplement the labs or if the Spectrum labs will be enough preparation if he chooses to take the AP test.

Thanks!

Interesting question, because the test is redesigned this year, right? I'll be following this thread...

Last year, with the new bio exam, the questions were more focused on process than they had been in the past ... "How would you design an experiment.....etc."

Have you joined the APchem Teacher community at the college board website yet? The teachers are usually discussing these types of questions all year - it could be an interesting wall for you to be a fly on.

At first I thought your question was asking whether Spectrum Chemistry was sufficient preparation for the AP exam, and I was going to say No.  My husband is teaching a high school Chemistry class using Spectrum Chemistry, and he says that Spectrum does not contain any discussion of Thermodynamics and that Kinetics is only lightly treated.

So, I can't answer your question.  My guess though is that you would need to supplement the Spectrum labs to bring them up to AP Standards.  I hope you can find the information you need.

Regards,

Kareni

I would agree with the previous posters - join the AP Chem teacher's forum and compare the labs you have against the ChemAdvantage ones. :)

In previous years, some colleges and universities wanted to see the student's lab notebook before they would give the student college credit for AP Chem (assuming the student received the exam score required by that institution for credit).  I don't know if that's still true after the course revamp or not.  Just thought I'd mention it as something to check into.  If a college or university is going to want to look at a student's lab notebook in order to grant credit, I can almost guarantee the institution will be expecting the student to have completed labs that are a LOT more rigorous than the standard cookbook-chemistry, fill-in-the-blank labs that make up the lab portions of so many chemistry courses.

Just my thoughts. :)

ETA: I was looking on the Thinkwell website to see if they stated anywhere that they've made adjustments to their AP Chem course to align it with the new standards and I don't see anything.  That doesn't mean they haven't but it might be worth a quick email to them to make sure they've made any necessary changes or adjustments. :)

I would agree with the previous posters - join the AP Chem teacher's forum and compare the labs you have against the ChemAdvantage ones. :)

Will they let you join without having an AP chem syllabus approved?  The reason I asked is because this summer I asked to join the AP US Gov. teacher's forum.  I said in the comments I was a homeschooling teacher and so did not have an educator profile to link to (although maybe I misunderstood what they wanted me to link too, now that I think about it--maybe they wanted something from the College Board website.  I assumed they were asking for something on a school website or something).  Anyhow, I got a snooty rejection email back about how this was only a forum for approved teachers.  Well, I actually DID have an approved syllabus, so I tried again, listing my syllabus approval number, and it went through. 

I really wanted to also join the chemistry group because although I am not teaching an AP chem class this year, I can see me doing that in the future.  The AP bio teacher's forum is an absolute WEALTH of information, and I can't imagine teaching without having it!  But I chickened out from trying to join--I don't handle rejection well, LOL!!