Menu

CLE Math: Do I need the Teacher's Guide for 300 and up?

Wonder

My daughter will be finishing up the 300 level soon, so I'm going to order the 400s.  Though I have the Teacher's Guide for 300, it seems like I don't really end up using it much, except to check my daughter's work.  I was considering just getting the answer keys for the 400 level as that is obviously cheaper.  Does anyone else do this?  Or does the Teacher's Guide contain enough "good stuff" to make it worth getting?

I did CLE 4th grade with my daughter & we did not buy the TE.  I felt like the books were written directly to the student & didn't need a lot of instruction from me. If she ever got "stumped" on something, we would rely on youtube videos and Khan Academy for further explanation. If she needed additional practice on a concept, I just found free worksheets online to help her before moving forward. HTH.

You don't need them. I find it much easier on my eyes though to use the TG to check work. The answer keys are fine, but they are not set up like the child's workbook page. Just a long list of answers. It seems a lot of people don't mind this, but it really bothers my eyes.

You don't need them. I find it much easier on my eyes though to use the TG to check work. The answer keys are fine, but they are not set up like the child's workbook page. Just a long list of answers. It seems a lot of people don't mind this, but it really bothers my eyes.

I totally agree with you on this one!

I used just the answer keys for level 4 and 5 and then ordered the TM for level 6. I much preferred the TM. From memory, the TM had the complete and worked out solution to each problem whereas the answer key just had the answers. Maybe this has changed in the three or so years since I have used the answer keys?

I agree there is not much instructions in the TM but it is nice to have the alternative tests for extra assessment. A few years ago, I asked the same question as the OP on the CLE yahoo group when I was about to order level 6 and got the impression that most people used the TM rather than the answer keys for math. 

I bought both in 4th grade because I couldn't decide. :) I decided to go with just the AK from 4th on up. I liked the TG layout better - where you have a duplicate of the student page, but this was not a big enough deal to spend the extra $$. Plus, that TG is HUGE and space is at a premium around here. The AK does have worked out solutions, too, so that shouldn't be an issue.