Menu

Grammar struggles with 8th grader

Ok ladies.  I'm in need of some advice.  My 14 year old son is in 8th grade and he just doesn't seem to "get" grammar no matter what I try.  We've done BJU, ACE, Analytical Grammar, and are now using Bridgeway English which is a remedial English program.  Oh we also tried Easy Grammar at one point.  Nothing seems to stick with him.  He writes ok but his writing could use some work too.  I was planning on working more heavily on writing second sememster because the first half of Bridgeway is grammar and the second half is more focused on writing.  I have to sit with my son while he does all his grammar work and I'm afraid that at this point if he can't do any of it independently that he's just going to continue to struggle.  How will this affect his high school level work?  He's reading and comprehension are off the charts strong.  He's also very good at analyzing literature due to BJU Reading.  Grammar on the other hand is going to be the death of both us I think. 

Help!  Any insight, ideas, etc. etc. etc!  

My son really struggled with grammar as well. He used Hake grammar for 3 years and it really made a difference for him right away. We're taking a break right now from Hake and he's doing AG, but I don't think he'd ever done as well as he's doing with AG if he hadn't used Hake. I have Hake 8 waiting in the wings if I feel he needs one more run through in high school.

My dd is in 5th grade and has never really liked or fully understood grammar.  We've used several different grammar programs and nothing up to this point broke through her "fog" -- until now.  Believe it or not, she just recently told me that doing Latin (this is our first year, and we are using LC) has helped her to understand grammar.  She was so excited.  It was like a light bulb clicked on.  I purchased the light English Grammar Recitations program to coincide with LC as suggested by Memoria Press.  It is working like a charm. DD has memorized 14 grammar rules and knows how to apply them.

Maybe something like that would help your ds if nothing else is working.

What exactly do you mean when you say he "struggles with grammar"?

1. Is it that he doesn't understand about things like parts of speech and clauses or can't construct a syntax tree or diagram a sentence? 

2. Is it about writing mechanics?  Does he have trouble with punctuating his writing or remembering about apostrophes?

3. Does he actually have a problem with grammar where he uses the wrong tense or can't construct sentences in the usual English order?

My advice for the first problem is not to worry too much about it.  Grammar isn't often taught in public schools and plenty of adults don't know these things either... but I totally understand if you aren't willing to admit defeat.  I really like the EPS books "Rules of the Game". 

The second problem is worth fixing and lots of writing books address this.  Check out EPS "Writing Skills" for example... or for fun "Grammar Works" by Jim Halverson.

The third problem would be pretty unusual unless he's not a native English speaker, speaks a non-standard form of English, or has a specific language impairment.   In this case, you might need to look into ESL grammar textbooks like Azar "Understanding and Using English Grammar" or Murphy's "English Grammar in Use".