DS has mastered the following so far this school year:

Our Father

Hail Mary

Glory Be

Months of the Year

Days of the Week

His full name and birthdate

My first and last name and cellphone number

He's currently working on a four seasons poem and we'll do our address next.

He also knows most nursery rhymes from listening to kids CDs for a few years.

I'm considering skip counting and the Pledge of Allegiance some point soon.

DS has mastered the following so far this school year:

Our Father

Hail Mary

Glory Be

Months of the Year

Days of the Week

His full name and birthdate

My first and last name and cellphone number

He's currently working on a four seasons poem and we'll do our address next.

He also knows most nursery rhymes from listening to kids CDs for a few years.

I'm considering skip counting and the Pledge of Allegiance some point soon.

DS will be 6 in January, so he may be a bit older than some, but we have completed this list along with skip counting by 2's, and 10s (will be starting on 5s after the holidays) and the Pledge.  I have been woefully neglectful of nursery rhymes and just picked up a couple CDs this weekend for the car.  Hopefully just hearing them, he will pick several up.

I guess I'm a bit lost on how to implement memory work. Am I doing it right?

We recite from written on the white board. Thus far, he has memorized:

Sign of the Cross

Dinner blessing

Hail Mary

skip counting by 2's to 20

This week we'll review the above for a minute, then move into "new" memory work - the Guardian Angel prayer, skip counting by 10's to 100 (he has this, but he mixes up sixty and seventy, lol), and.... something else - not sure what yet. I think I'll do as a pp mentioned and add in something "daily life" like his birthdate or phone number?

I guess I'm a bit lost on how to implement memory work. Am I doing it right?

We recite from written on the white board. Thus far, he has memorized:

Sign of the Cross

Dinner blessing

Hail Mary

skip counting by 2's to 20

This week we'll review the above for a minute, then move into "new" memory work - the Guardian Angel prayer, skip counting by 10's to 100 (he has this, but he mixes up sixty and seventy, lol), and.... something else - not sure what yet. I think I'll do as a pp mentioned and add in something "daily life" like his birthdate or phone number?

I use this method. http://simplycharlottemason.com/timesavers/memorysys/

But, I type up what he memorizes and put it into a 3-ring binder and reguler dividers since I had all that on hand.

He doesn't know enough to expand to one different review each day of the week, so right now I have our current study behind Daily and two things each behind the Even and Odd days.

I don't have him recite prayers during memory work since we say those during prayer time. Though I'll add more when he's older, so we might review those on memory work.

Hope that helps!

ETA: I don't have the 1-31 dividers even made yet, it'll take us a long time to get enough for that part to be useful for us!

In K, we did some shorter poems from various resources.  I like The Random House Book of Children's Poetry, and the Usborne books of poetry for children (can't remember their exact title… there's one for young children, and one for children.

I started intending to just have her do one line poems, but she memorized those so quickly that she found the whole thing boring and it was kind of pointless.  So we did some pretty long poems.  Some children's songs make good poems, too… "Mooses Come Walking" was a favorite.

I blogged in detail about our PreK and current Kindergarten memorization lists, as well as our system for memorization, so I'll just link to them so I don't have to retype them.  I really enjoy doing memorization and so do my girls. We do have a little more that we do with other subjects, like AAS or math songs, but these are my intentional memorization subject lists:

PreK list

Kindergarten list

How we do memorization

I hope this helps someone.

Memoria Press has great Recitation lists available for dollars digital or print.

These are great! I downloaded the prek list.

We're also memorizing nursery rhymes, Bible verses using Children Desiring God's foundation set, and catechism using the songs on Ask Me Whooo

Edit to add: Linguistic Development Through Poetry Memorization too.