Menu

Anyone here ever done substitute teaching?

I'm trying to consider all options for income here. I do not have a teaching certificate, but I do have a bachelor's degree. If I understand the county forms correctly, I don't have to be certified to substitute, but I'd get paid at a lower rate than someone with a certificate. Do the rules differ by state? I'm in MD. What about for private schools? Anyone have direct experience, wisdom to share, do's or don'ts on this one? :)

TIA,

In the school districts I know of in Texas, you are paid less if you are not a certified teacher. I'm not sure how much less, but I know that's true. I'm not sure about the private school. I'm not sure if I was paid less than the certified teacher or not. I don't think so, but that could definitely vary by school.

I think it does differ from state to state, or even district to district. It was many years ago that my dh was substitute teaching here in CA, and at that time you just needed a bachelor's degree. Now things are so much more regulated it wouldn't surprise me if they require a teaching credential. I'll ask him about it when he gets home.

Have you tried looking at the website of the districts you'd be interested in? They should have a section about job requirements.

Here in Oregon, you have to have a substitute teaching license issued by the state. I don't know if a college degree is good enough. I recently got my sub license, but that was b/c I had previously had a teaching license that had expired, and my degree is in elementary education.

You might consider private schools, but will probably be paid less.

can substitute with just a Bachelor's Degree, you can work in private schools, you can do home/hospital teaching and you can tutor. I'm in a similar circumstance as you regarding income and I'm now working at a private school, applied for home/hospital and am tutoring on the side. I haven't applied for substituting but I keep hearing that you get paid more because you have the degree and those with the degree will get paid more than those without the degree. Since I'm not interested in working in a large classroom I hadn't looked into this any further.

My county has the home hospital information on the county schools website. I'm putting flyers up, posting on Craigslist and otherwise talking to people about tutoring. As far as the private school, I got lucky in that my mom is one of the founders/co-directors and knowing that I had the qualifications and experience she got me an interview. I just go the offer to start part-time in the fall after working for them during their summer session. I'm hoping I'll be able to go full-time in a couple of months.

BTW, I live in Maryland.

I subbed now and then in a Catholic school I used to live near eventhough my degree isn't in teaching.

I loved it! Great second income without the pressure of having to be there everyday. Because I only did it in 2 schools, it was nice to get to know the other staff and it helped that when they were going to be gone, they would start to request me so I got to know their students well too. I loved the flexibility!

Personally, I LOVED subbing. Because I like kids. I so enjoyed the challenge of walking into a classroom of teenagers and winning them over. I don't know what age you would be working with, but with teens, you can't take yourself too seriously. Knowing you, I think you would do just fine with this one. I knew a sub who would bring in his own overhead with his classroom rules typed up on it. Needless to say, the kids ate that guy alive. Arm yourself with a great sense of humor, a genuine love (or at least like) of kids you should do fine. This job has great flexibility and if you get known as doing a good job, you can usually work as much as you want.

I can give you a few more of my best tricks if I know what age you want to work with.

Oh, please? happy004.gif

I am planning on subbing this fall and would like to mainly do middle and high school. Any helpful hints would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Tips from you would be like money in the bank, as far as I'm concerned. I was leaning more towards elementary age kids because I'm not sure I really am cut out for the inattentive/beligerent riff-raff that can sometimes show up in the middle/high school classroom. But, on some level, I realize those levels could also be more interesting. So, fire away with your words of wisdom, girl. I'm taking notes! :D

Sorry it took me a while to get back to this one. Well, the best thing about teaching high school is that you really only have to endure any one kid for an hour. I always figure I can do that! :001_smile: In elementary, you gotta have the same class ALL DAY!

My best advice is to know that the highschool kids will try something on you and don't take it personally. A standard one is for them to trade places. You can always tell when they are trading places because they volunteer their name to you. "Hi, *I'm* Johnny." So, I usually just wait 5 minutes and when they aren't expecting it, I call, "Hey, Johnny," and the real Johnny looks over. I just smile at them and say, "Hey, I thought YOU were Johnny." I tell them that they can go by any name they want, but before they better choose someone smarter than them if they are going to do each other's homework.

My favorite story is the time that a boy tried tried to pretend he was deaf. The other kids around him were "assuring me" that he really was deaf. I know no sign language, except for one phrase. That phrase happens to be "Maybe you need a mechanic" (don't ask-long story!) So, I smiled at him and signed, "Maybe you need a mechanic." The boys around him started laughing and saying, "Dude, you're busted. She knows sign language." We all had a good laugh.

So, basically, I'm saying (as bad as this sounds) treat it more like babysitting and less like teaching. Any teaching that happens is a bonus. As a teacher I'm just happy if I come back and the sub has no problems to report. Never try to pretend you know material that you don't. They can tell. You are much better off saying, "I have no idea how to do that. Let's see if we can find someone in the class to explain it to us." They respect that way more than if you try and fake it. Don't try to act like their friend, but don't try to act all authoritarian either.

For elementary kids, 4 words. Heads up-Seven up! I did sub a couple of times at an elementary school, and the kids love this game if you need a little filler!

The best part about subbing is that you can say NO if you want. And, if you have a terrible class, you don't have to go back!!