Menu

Non-textbook math plan? Still want a strong plan.

Tardis Girl

My 2nd and 4th graders have been using Math Mammoth for the past couple of years, but it's feeling kind of ... boring. It's just getting a bit repetitive and feels like a chore. Now of course I know that not everything is going to be exciting, but I'm looking for options. 

For the past two months, they've been primarily working through Life of Fred Elementary and spending time on Khan. In the past 2 weeks we've added in Primary Challenge Math -- the 2nd grader works through Levels 1-2, and the 4th grader goes through the Level 4/Genius. (Although I do talk it through with them; they aren't really able to do it completely on their own, and we talk about how to think through the problem and I teach material if it's needed.) Would working through LOF, Khan, and PCM be a really solid math program? I do worry that this combo will be lacking in repetition; but more traditional math programs seem to just kind of kill the interest and thinking and love for the subject. I guess I'm looking for something that keeps math more... interesting to ALL of us. 

So...ugh. Any math geeks care to comment?

My math baggage: My college students followed a more traditional textbook math for high school, going through pre-calc -- although used Strayer-Upton in the elementary years leading up to pre-algebra, which I think was very solid, and then transitioned at that point -- but in retrospect they were really not very solid in that higher-level math or well-prepared for college math. Not that they are pursuing higher-level math, but it's really not even an option without  a ton of catching up. Honestly it's hard to admit that. 

Or maybe I should stick with MM or try some Strayer-Upton for elementary, or in combo with some of our other current resources, and then come up with a better plan for pre-algebra and beyond??

Another possibility...you could use the Kitchen Table Math series for the younger ones.  My oldest daughter used that series.  You would have to come up with problems to review, etc, but KTM would have all the topics that need to be covered up to about 5th grade (my guess).  I am not using a math curriculum with my youngest right now, but I probably will later (mostly because I have so much stuff lying around here from the other kids).  She works through videos on www.educationunboxed.com and Miquon's The First Grade Diary.  We also read living math books from the library.

My son (the 5th grader) has also used more living math than anything else.  The only curriculum he uses is Life of Fred.  He's also working on The Perilous Book of Math right now and really enjoying it.  Have you seen the Living Math website?   http://www.livingmath.net  Lots of ideas on there, too.

The only problem I've noticed so far with my kids who used more living math than curriculum...they are really good at real-world math problems, but struggle with algorithmic-type problems.  They're actually really good at word problems.  *shrug*

Edited to say: Have you seen the Zaccaro math books?  One of them is Becoming a Problem-Solving Genius.  I'm thinking about trying that with the kids this winter (if we have time).  He has a number of books out for elementary to algebra.

I have one ds who does well with MM.  But he burns out on it pretty much every two months.  He just burned out on it last night.  "This is BORING!  I know there's more to math than this!"  He's twenty pages from the end of 4a, so I told him he had to finish, but then we'll take a break for a month.  He'll lose being "ahead" on math, but that's fine because he'll cement some skills and not hate it.  Basically, I think MM is really solid, but it's also really, really dull.  We spice it up with other stuff, but sometimes we just need a break.

I'm going to let him do a little of his brother's Beast Academy.  And we'll finish The Book of Perfectly Perilous Math, which he's more equipped to finish now than last year.  And a little more in PCM.  We tried Kitchen Table Math awhile ago and while I love the idea, I didn't find it user friendly enough for me as the teacher.  And it didn't suit his style.

I think your proposal of LoF, PCM and Khan is fine.  And if it isn't, you can go back to MM, but plan breaks from it.

Thank you for the feedback and encouragement! I've been reading through that thread you shared, lewelma, and it's very interesting. I remember a living math book of Penrose...think I loaned that out and didn't get it back. Is that the same thing? I remember there were a few titles in the series. And some of the other things I hadn't heard of, so I will look into that too. I've been thinking more about maybe making better use of Khan as main resource, but I will post separately about that. 

Thanks again!

would something like Beast Academy fit your criterion?  It has a book written in a comic books style and a workbook. My son was a bit disappointed to find that you don't get to read the comic book every day (or at least he doesn't) because you read a bit and then you get a number of pages to work through, then you read a bit again. I am sure there are some kids who get through all of the workbook pages in one sitting, but not mine.

I am using BA alongside SM, but I have been told it is intended to be a complete math curriculum. I believe there are plans to continue it up to 6th grade?  Anyone? I am sure that info is at the BA website. I am just not that motivated to go check, lol.

I know they are in the process of publishing 4th grade right now, so the first couple might be available. But, you could consider starting a 4th grade in the 3rd grade books. Some of it would be quite easy, but some of it would not. My 8th grader is using AoPS Algebra, and he likes to join in the fun of Beast Academy.

Another possibility is MEP. I love MEP! It is FREE and very good. When I see people suggesting all kinds of supplements I always think that MEP has it all right in the lessons.  However, MEP is time consuming. It is scripted. If you just hand off the worksheets there isn't much going on. The lesson plans involve working with the students to solve problems, learn math vocabulary, mental math, puzzle solving. With the second grader, you might be able to just jump right in at level or back towards the end of year 1. With the fourth grader you might go back to year 3.  You should look at the scope and sequence to decide for yourself where your kids should be. Don't take my word for it. For a while I was fairly familiar with the ins and outs of MEP, but it's been a while since I was using it every day.