Menu

Favorite math programs for 5-8 grades??

j_thurm

Hi, we are currently doing Christian Light Education and, while we love it, I feel there isn't as much guidance in lesson taught as I would like. Math is not my strong subject so I need a program with more teaching/guidance on the new topics.   I thought I might see what others found as their favorites for this level.  

Thanks!

Saxon gets so slammed. But have you looked at it? NOT the K-3, but the 54 on up? I believe that if Saxon had not been available since the beginning, and came on the scene later, it would be more popular. Also people confuse the K-3 with the 54-Calculus, and they are NOT the same at ALL.

Have you seen the Amish math? Rainbow sells it, now. It is designed for teenaged teachers with an 8th grade education to teach in a multi-graded classroom. It's solid, flexible, and the teacher is fully supported.

http://www.rainbowresource.com/prodlist.php?subject=10&category=469

You can purchase it here too.

http://www.milestonebooks.com/list/Study_Time_Arithmetic/

We like Math Mammoth for 5th & 6th grade.  The teaching is incorporated into the worktext, and so you don't have to juggle mutiple books.  It is solid.

But, my new favorite 6th-8th grade program is this one from Arbor Center for Teaching - it covers PreAlgebra through Algebra 1 over three years, which seems to me to be a very sane way to do it.  The books are called Jousting Armadillos, Crocodiles & Coconuts, and Chuckles the Rocket Dog.

http://www.arborcenterforteaching.org/publications/books/

We like Math Mammoth for 5th & 6th grade. The teaching is incorporated into the worktext, and so you don't have to juggle mutiple books. It is solid.

But, my new favorite 6th-8th grade program is this one from Arbor Center for Teaching - it covers PreAlgebra through Algebra 1 over three years, which seems to me to be a very sane way to do it. The books are called Jousting Armadillos, Crocodiles & Coconuts, and Chuckles the Rocket Dog.

http://www.arborcenterforteaching.org/publications/books/

Just curious, and I hope you don't mind me asking, are you planning to use the Jousting Armadillos, et al, series as your DD's core math program for Pre-Alg through Alg 1? I'm still exploring options and would prefer to use the same program for the next few years if possible instead of hopping around, so I'm wondering if you think the JA series would be good as a core for "most" kids. My DS is good at math but doesn't love it, so I think intense discovery programs like AOPS would not work for him. I understand JA is discovery also, but much gentler. Your opinion on that? Thanks!

Just curious, and I hope you don't mind me asking, are you planning to use the Jousting Armadillos, et al, series as your DD's core math program for Pre-Alg through Alg 1? I'm still exploring options and would prefer to use the same program for the next few years if possible instead of hopping around, so I'm wondering if you think the JA series would be good as a core for "most" kids. My DS is good at math but doesn't love it, so I think intense discovery programs like AOPS would not work for him. I understand JA is discovery also, but much gentler. Your opinion on that? Thanks!

That's my current plan.  My dd is the same way - she is good at math, and she likes it, but she does not love grappling with tough problems, or need to be slowed down/super challenged by digging quite that deeply in.  Plus, I think the wordiness of AoPS PreA would really throw her.  So while I've flirted with AoPS (as you know!) I wasn't fully comfortable with the idea.  I was actually leaning toward starting with Jacobs once she finished MM6 and my slew of PreA supplements.  

Enter JA - it is based on a combination of Jacobs Algebra + Math, A Human Endeavor.  I absolutely love Jacobs, and was plotting about how to add in MHE, so when I realized someone had combined them for me, I was thrilled!  And yes, it is discovery method, which I like, but it is gentler than AoPS.  We really like it so far. I think it would work fine for any kid who had a parent who would work with her/him as a "math buddy" because the discussion/discovery part works better when you are talking about it, and doing some of the exercises together.  Not all of them, but certainly some of the early chapters for sure.  So yes, I think JA would be good for most kids - provided they have an involved parent, it isn't one I'd just hand off and expect to be 100% independent.

My current thought is to use all three JA books, then perhaps to work through AoPS Algebra 1 - a hopefully quick review through the first 12 chapters, then the rest of the book.  My understanding is that the 2nd half of the book is Algebra 2.  That part of the plan is all in pencil, though!

That's my current plan.  My dd is the same way - she is good at math, and she likes it, but she does not love grappling with tough problems, or need to be slowed down/super challenged by digging quite that deeply in.  Plus, I think the wordiness of AoPS PreA would really throw her.  So while I've flirted with AoPS (as you know!) I wasn't fully comfortable with the idea.  I was actually leaning toward starting with Jacobs once she finished MM6 and my slew of PreA supplements.  

Enter JA - it is based on a combination of Jacobs Algebra + Math, A Human Endeavor.  I absolutely love Jacobs, and was plotting about how to add in MHE, so when I realized someone had combined them for me, I was thrilled!  And yes, it is discovery method, which I like, but it is gentler than AoPS.  We really like it so far. I think it would work fine for any kid who had a parent who would work with her/him as a "math buddy" because the discussion/discovery part works better when you are talking about it, and doing some of the exercises together.  Not all of them, but certainly some of the early chapters for sure.  So yes, I think JA would be good for most kids - provided they have an involved parent, it isn't one I'd just hand off and expect to be 100% independent.

My current thought is to use all three JA books, then perhaps to work through AoPS Algebra 1 - a hopefully quick review through the first 12 chapters, then the rest of the book.  My understanding is that the 2nd half of the book is Algebra 2.  That part of the plan is all in pencil, though!

Thank you *so* much!  This is extremely helpful!