Menu

BFSU-esque science?

silver

I'm doing BFSU with my son, and loving it. However, it isn't really a great science for families with many children. If I continue with it, I will wind up using all three volumes at once, each one with a different child. That seems like a lot to juggle on top of all the other subjects and workload of multiple children.

Things I like about BFSU:

Learning through discussion. I sit cuddled up with my son on the couch and we talk about things in the world, relating them to concepts he knows, asking him questions about what is happening. It makes connections for him so much easier. I appreciate that there aren't fill-in-the-blank worksheets.

Living books. I love the suggested books at the end of each lesson. I love that they're on topic and at the appropriate level. The few times my library hasn't had any of Dr. Nebel's suggestions, I've just grabbed random children's non-fiction books on the topic, and they're often over my son's head.

The focus on big ideas, rather than getting lost in the details. I like that we learned that animals have adaptations that help them live in their particular habitat. We looked at a few different habitats, with one or two animals per habitat and then moved on. We didn't sit there and make the specific adaptations the focus (quizzing him on things like "What adaptations does a desert fox have? How about a conifer tree?")--we focused on the fact that they exist and why they are important.

Demonstrations/Activities that actually help learning. I'm not a hands-on teacher. I know, throw the rotten tomatoes at me. I really dislike the science demonstrations that are more for the "wow" factor than for learning. So many elementary science curricula have demonstrations where the science behind what is happening is too complex for the kids to understand. I want the demonstrations to help show the concept, to be for "ah ha!" instead of "wow!"

The only thing I don't like is that I can't combine my kids. Is there a science curriculum that has the above features of BFSU, but can be combined?

ETA clarification:

I guessing I'm looking for a science curriculum where each book is independent (so children can be added in to the sequence as they are old enough, even though they missed the earlier books), has different levels within the book or is easily adapted for different levels, and has the attributes of BFSU that I like.

I'll probably end up in a similar situation. Though I haven't looked through the 2nd book too much yet and don't even own the third, I wonder if they have similar topics and progression through them. My thought is that you could start with everyone together, discuss the basics, then "dismiss" the youngers. Do some more discussion on a deeper level for the next, dismiss the middles, then finish with the olders. They would all have their own levels of living books.

That would take some coordination on your part, though.

I hear you. I'm really unhappy with the lack of options and I like bfsu best for the same reasons you listed plus the fact that it's secular. Ita on the demonstration thing too. Fwiw, my plan when I have kids in all 3 levels is to just use more independent things in other areas. We're still in vol. 1 though so I can hope for better options by then. Sorry I'm no help, just commiserating.

I don't think it would be possible to do all my kids together with BFSU--the topics build on each other too much. My youngest is currently only 1. She (obviously) doesn't listen to any of our science discussions. By the time she'd be old enough to listen, my oldest will be near the end of the 2nd book (assuming I continue doing 1/3 of a book in a year). For example, my son has already learned about the particulate nature of matter--and many lessons require this knowledge, which my youngest wouldn't have.

For those curious about the topics that BFSU covers, this page details how each thread progresses in each level:

http://www.pressforlearning.com/synopsis_content.shtml

And now I'm wondering if it's possible to make a science curriculum that doesn't focus on details but also does not build on itself.

I think with a wide age span it's not going to be possible to not have some "repeat" over the years of basic principles.   Even if I just consider my older three, the lessons on gravity from volume 1 that my older two remember from about 1.5 years ago, my current 4.5 year old doesn't remember at all -- yet he'll still need to learn those basic principles at some point even if the older ones have already mastered it, kwim?  I don't think it really matters which curriculum you are using, you'll still have to repeat those big ideas for the younger set (much to the eye rolling of the older one if you try to include them...or at least my 9 year old already does this!).

One thing I do find is that having been all the way through vol 1 with the older two (though even DS 6 doesn't remember the early lessons), I have the principles on the tip of my tongue and I am able to at least explain things in a "BFSU-esque" manner when various topics come up.  There is quite a jump (in my opinion) between  volumes 1 and 2 in terms of difficulty, and we weren't really able to make the jump very effectively.  I have done a few lessons from Vol 2, but even my oldest isn't really ready or interested in microscope-intensive science at this point, much less her younger brothers.  So you may find something else suits you better for your oldest in time anyway, possibly freeing up more time to go through volume 1 topics with younger ones.  I am having my oldest do a lot more interest led science, and assigning her independent reading.  She also gets some science at co-op, etc.   I haven't found any "one" thing that fits us as well as BFSU and allows us to meet everyone's needs, either.

I have a third grader and an 8th grader. It wouldn't occur to me to try to stick them in the same science any more than it would occur to me to put them in the same math. I do have them in the same subject area (physical science this year) but we work on it separately.

I use BFSU with  my younger child, it wasn't out when we started so my older boy has missed out. I split it up. This year we are doing physical science so I am following that thread (is it D?) and then adding in some other stuff. It has worked out pretty well so far.

How far apart are your kids? Could you combine them into two levels? I think BFSU is one of the few where you can combine. I'm not sure of a program that would allow you to get them all in a single level. I find it very easy to stretch the grade levels of BFSU. We have taken V1 very slowly. Dd9 is just about to finish V1, and I have just started with ds7 and dd5. I plan to work in two levels. I did switch from teaching dd9 two short periods a week to a longer period once a week, so that I could do the same for the little ones.

I love BFSU, but have many times gone in search of something easier to get done, and I always come back. I just haven't seen anything else quite like it.

My older two are 2 years apart and probably could be combined if I hadn't started BFSU when the younger of them was only 3.

I know there are some science options out there that allow for combining. For example. God's Design for Science has a section to read to young students, and then the rest of the chapter is for older students. I think Science in the Beginning is similar.

I guessing I'm looking for a science curriculum where each book is independent (so children can be added in to the sequence as they are old enough, even though they missed the earlier books), has different levels within the book or is easily adapted for different levels, and has the attributes of BFSU that I like.

If you have to do 3 volumes at once then it means there is a 7 year minimum gap between oldest and youngest which means you would not be able to do the same curriculum no matter which one you chose. Is there anyway to join two of your children together in the same volume and just be doing two volumes? When my youngesr starts BFSU I may try joining topics from BFSU2 - as in doing the youngest childs learning as review for the older and then do the older one's by herself. That way since it is a prerequisite for the older it will be a good time to do that for the younger and I will be having to look up less since it is related anyway.

If you have to do 3 volumes at once then it means there is a 7 year minimum gap between oldest and youngest which means you would not be able to do the same curriculum no matter which one you chose. Is there anyway to join two of your children together in the same volume and just be doing two volumes? When my youngesr starts BFSU I may try joining topics from BFSU2 - as in doing the youngest childs learning as review for the older and then do the older one's by herself. That way since it is a prerequisite for the older it will be a good time to do that for the younger and I will be having to look up less since it is related anyway.

Not a 7 year gap, but a 5 year. The oldest will be in his first year of volume 3 (6th grade), the middle child in volume 2, and the youngest in her 2nd year of volume 1 (assuming 3 years per volume). Even a four year gap can make all three volumes be used at once (oldest just starting vol 3 as youngest is finishing vol 1). Even in years where I'm only using two volumes of BFSU, I'll have three different lessons because younger kids won't have the prerequisite understanding needed for where an older child is in a thread.

I'm concerned that I'll be doing 3 different maths, 3 different areas of the Ayers list with WRTR, and 3 different BFSU lessons. Those are all mom-intensive one-on-one subjects. The youngest will need mom for all her subjects still, as she won't be fluently reading yet. The older two might be able to do things like writing, grammar, and Bible on their own. I'm just trying to figure out a science curriculum now so that when I'm teaching three kids in the future I won't be in over my head.