Menu

11 year olds

My first thought was; is your 11 year old weird? lol

But I started worrying lately.  I hear him say "most kids my age do not know this"  and similar comments.  I am not sure how to respond to him.  It makes me think he is putting others down and becoming kinda arrogant.  

My oldest just turned 12. Yes she's weird. :P

Actually she's annoyed that all her friends want to talk about is *boys*. She plays with boys all the time and doesn't see anything special about them. She likes to read big fat books, especially fantasy, and she like to draw manga and paint pictures. This summer she was bemoaning the fact that no other girls her age have similar interests. Putting her in a Jr.high/high school co-op this year has been wonderful. She's been able to meet other girls (and boys) who have interests outside the opposite sex. (And even some kids who are weirder than her ;))

In my house I would respond with, "Dude, arrogant much?" (I have an 11 year old dude.)

We talk A LOT in our home about being humble, having a teachable heart, receiving instruction, etc. We have since the kids were little. My DH is a flight instructor so we use the example of student pilots not taking instruction - and how that can literally kill them. We talk about learning from everyone - people younger and older than ourselves. I don't think there's anything wrong with calling out a specific character trait that's not yet an issue, but will be if you let it go (as in trying to homeschool a wise-in-his-own-eyes 14 year old boy, or a student pilot too smart to take criticism).

Dd11 turns 12 today.  Yes, she is weird.  All my kids notice that other kids are learning (or not learning) different things.  Dd7 came in the other day and said the neighbor boy didn't know who Helen Keller was and "He's 14!"  She was astounded.  I just point out that I am sure he knows things that she doesn't, and it would be a boring world if everyone knew the same stuff and nothing different.  She was happy to go educate him about Helen Keller; I am not sure he was, though. lol

In my house I would respond with, "Dude, arrogant much?" (I have an 11 year old dude.)

We talk A LOT in our home about being humble, having a teachable heart, receiving instruction, etc. We have since the kids were little. My DH is a flight instructor so we use the example of student pilots not taking instruction - and how that can literally kill them. We talk about learning from everyone - people younger and older than ourselves. I don't think there's anything wrong with calling out a specific character trait that's not yet an issue, but will be if you let it go (as in trying to homeschool a wise-in-his-own-eyes 14 year old boy, or a student pilot too smart to take criticism).

Ohmygoodness--my dd is going through an "unteachable" phase! She has always been stubborn, but it's getting unbearable. DH has been commenting that we need to start discussing humility and being teachable. Maybe I should just write "humility" on a post-it note and glue it to her forehead.

Ohmygoodness--my dd is going through an "unteachable" phase! She has always been stubborn, but it's getting unbearable. DH has been commenting that we need to start discussing humility and being teachable. Maybe I should just write "humility" on a post-it note and glue it to her forehead.

My dearest friend used "KIA" with her dd. If the DD started down the "I Know" road she's whisper it to her. It meant, "You're being a Know It All, and knock it off." It was a polite, but direct, way to redirect her attitude.

11 yr olds. God bless 'em.  I have got one too. 

Though mine is more of a self conscious girl type 11 yr old around others.  She is aware that she knows more than her psed 11 yr old friends, but she doesn't want them to know it too much.  She kind of keeps it to herself. She would be the type in school to hide her brains to try and fit in I think.  I notice it mostly at church as everyone there is in PS and are probably from the "in crowds."   She just doesn't have a lot in common with their talk about boys, texting, current movies and such.  She is still into "Ironman" and those types of movies.  The girls seem to be seeing horror movies and listening to music that is too mature, IMO.

Luckily she has a really great intellectual homeschool crowd that she does a lot with.  They study latin and Robotics together.  So she has peers where she doesn't have to hide anything.   And she is in dance and scouts where she has that in common with those kids.  It really helps that she can be herself in those groups.

But like the others, with me, she knows it all LOL.

Guest submarines

Yep, mine is weird. About him saying that though, it all depends on his self esteem and level of confidence. Lack of confidence can hide behind such remarks. He might be just building himself up. 

Does he enjoy being homeschooled? He might be justifying being homeschooled to himself. 

Are his comments true? Is he equally good in all the academic areas?

My perspective is different, as my 11 year old lacks self confidence and I wish she'd say things like that (in private  :huh: )  :laugh: It is better than negative self-talk, that's for sure. 

Maybe I should just write "humility" on a post-it note and glue it to her forehead.

If I did that, mine would just roll their eyes and argue with me about the definition of the word and whether or not the glue was hypo-allergenic.   :tongue_smilie:

If I did that, mine would just roll their eyes and argue with me about the definition of the word and whether or not the glue was hypo-allergenic.   :tongue_smilie:

Oh my goodness.  Have we got the same 11 yr old?? 

We started Critical Thinking Book 1 yesterday and I loved that right in lesson 1 it says that a critically thinking person understands that people will have different ideas about what a word means. 

We talked about (OK, I talked about) that one quite a bit.  She loves to correct me on my words too.

Thank you all for your ideas!  And letting me know about your weirdos <3 

He has in the past said he doesn't go to school bc it would be too hard.  I was   :huh: and we talked about it so it looks like he just went the other direction, lol.

Guest submarines

Thank you all for your ideas!  And letting me know about your weirdos <3 

He has in the past said he doesn't go to school bc it would be too hard.  I was   :huh: and we talked about it so it looks like he just went the other direction, lol.

Then it doesn't seem like bragging or being arrogant. It is self-affirming. It is positive self talk and I'd support this.

I'd talk about what is socially appropriate and being sensitive to other people's feelings.  :001_smile: