Menu

For those with severely handicapped children - social service?

bethben

What are social services like in your state for help in taking care of your special needs child?  We are/were considering a move to Illinois until we discovered there is really no social services financial support.  I was just looking for basics like incontinence supplies and support staff for when he gets older since dh's and my back have seen much better days.  Also, some services my son gets at school are paid for by his social services plan.  Technically there are social services supports in Illinois, but the waiting list is 22,000 people long and no one has been added to the list in three years.   I was basically asked why we would ever think of moving to Illinois from Minnesota when there is a migration of families with special needs kids moving here.  I've been living in this delusional world that every state had some sort of support set up for these kids.  Am I living in the golden state?  We wanted to move to live closer to my large extended family, but we are looking at a miracle to have that happen (which is possible because we know the main guy who's in the miracle business).

Beth

This just popped up in the "new" posts, so thought I would tell you we have this in CA. My dear friend has a daughter who is missing a part of the brain and she gets many types of aid. $, supplies, special formula , food thickener, special bath lift, etc, etc...

So it must be state to state.

When my sister was alive, she passed a year ago and was born severely handicapped, the State of Alabama provided her with a specialized wheelchair, salary for a sitter to come 10 hours per week, a lift, and ileostomy supplies.  I don't know the particulars other than a social worker periodically visited my mom.  

Sis was 43 yo and on my step dad's insurance plus medicare.  The second health insurance policy covered what the first one missed. 

I believe there's now an extra tax on durable medical supplies tied to Obamacare...But whatever...I digress...

Good luck..

ETA:  Sis attended a regional school for the blind.  She was picked up everyday, no matter where we lived inside the county.  She received PT at the school and was in a small class with a helper.  She used an abacus, books on tape, and knew braille.