Menu

Hunter, how do you use your What Your ---- grader Needs to Know Books

Do you have the original set or the newer set? I have the original set with the sponge painted covers. The newer edition with the children on the covers drives my OCD crazy.

The narration technique in this article can be used with NtK.

http://simplycharlottemason.com/2013/09/25/narration-auditory-speech-issues/

And this one

http://www.childlightusa.org/review/Winter2007_Review.pdf

When I've been using the series with a student I'm working closely with longer term, I have supplemented with library books and DVDs. Other times I have stuck more closely to just trying to make progress through the books alone.

Sometimes I've used Waldorf techniques with the books. I have created copywork from the lessons, then reviewed the copywork with the student, read aloud the book lesson, then discussed the lesson, and then had the student copy the copywork into their notebook. I don't have a blackboard, so I create the copywork example on paper, which I think is more helpful anyway.

One of the things I really like about the original series is how integrated the lessons are. There is no listing of which lessons are integrated with other lessons, but it will become apparent as you work through the books. I try to write notes in the margins.

I will also use more than one level at a time, especially for grammar and other language arts. I like the student to see the entire series as a complete encyclopedia of the most important topics they have missed, rather than grade levels. But I do make an attempt to cover all the topics in each book, in order, so that the student can note some real progress, even if we pull out that completed book to review some grammar or music topics.

I really like the history. It's a 90s style attempt at politically correct by conservatives, which creates some balance that is tolerable to me. The history is kinda sorta chronological, but also hops around a bit to cover what is most commonly taught in each grade, and to make the lessons integrated. This is another good time to pull out lower and higher books to review bits of the same topic/time period that is repeated in another book.

Social studies is broken up into 3 strands every year: world, American, and geography, so it keeps things more interesting. Science is also broken up into 3 strands: life, physical (earth, chem, physics), and scientists.

The art and music in the older series is not as nice as the newer series, but it is more integrated. I do substantially supplement color. Advanced color theory using a 24 pack of Crayolas is an important topic here. Some of my students are homeless and do end out incarcerated and hospitalized at times. Crayons are great self-soothers and are not considered "sharps". Crayons can be used to do some quite advanced art, aren't messy, and take up little room and weight in a backpack.

I had put my NtK books away to focus on eBooks, but I have missed them so much. They are so complete and organized. They are so 90s style back to basics, no nonsense, get the job done, which resonates with me. Rigor and wider scopes and sequences came out in the late 90s and exploded in the early 2000s and just keeps exploding. NtK is a last complete curriculum developed before that all hit. I really really really hate it that this set is out of print and will be harder and harder to acquire.

I have the newer versions. Honestly, I use them in two ways. 1. I use it as a guide to make sure I've not really forgotten anything big. It also might spark my thoughts for something. 2. Sometimes I have my older daughter read from it, for fun. and 3. when my kiddos were little, I would read directly from the book sometimes.

Hunter, I don't recall if you've ever said so or not but, do you use the math portions of each book? How do you think it would work if I paired these books up with the Schoolaid math books? I know you prefer HTT to tutor math and I'm wondering if you'd recommend it for teaching beginning math also? I keep taking these out and starting to use them and then I get up in not doing enough and what not.

I have used the math and am looking at using it again. I don't really have the resources right now, to create problems for the lessons. 

Many years ago I used this software, and it looks like it has only gotten better. Right now access to a working printer is just not something I can depend on.

http://www.schoolhousetech.com

Right now, I'm thinking of checking out some of the free online worksheet makers that will display on an iPad or Android screen and just handcopying some of the generated problems.

Some lessons don't need problems, and those are the ones I am most interested in to supplement HTT. Library books and common household items are all that are required for some of the lessons, especially the early ones. HTT doesn't cover up till algebra, and is narrow. NtK enriches and then finishes what HTT starts.

I splurged on Math on the Level just days before my financial situation crashed, and I needed to become so mobile. I've tucked it away for better days, but I'm thinking about using the NtK math with Math on the Level methods.

Thanks for your reply Hunter. More questions....do you do a lesson from each chapter daily....iow, put a sticky note in between subjects and cover several a day? Imnow this sounds stupid, my brain is having organizational issues....and I think these books would be so helpful right now in finding gaps and introducing material I did not yet over with my youngest....who is a challenge, to say the least.

Thanks again for your input. It is very helpful!

I never worried about scheduling NtK, because the books say that they can be read 3 times in a year. I forget how many minutes/hours a day, but it was something small. When I have time and attentive students I supplement. If times are nuts and I need to make faster and shallower progress, I just read the books.

Slow and steady, take it as it comes. When you see how much progress you are making through the books in a short time, the worries fall aside. Unlike the more current edition, the original vision for the NtK books were supposed to leave lots of time for teachers to do OTHER things. The common core was supposed to be a very reasonable PORTION of the education.

So you can add library books to the topics being studied, or you can study something else entirely. For families using SOW and/or spending a lot of time on family worship, the narrow but essential focus works well.

Book 1 has a short section on ballet, but I have supplemented that extensively. Also the Jazz. I didn't supplement the Inca, Maya and Aztec; it's covered again in a later book.

Even with my OCD, I've been comfortable not trying to schedule ahead for NtK.

We kinda went wild with integrating animals and dams, by including beaver DVDs and books. Also Egypt and dams. And them the Central American pyramids. Things just seem to go in circles integrating in so many ways, discovered by the student and teacher. We would flip around in the book and reread.

I strived each day for variety, but didn't have a checklist.

Mommyfaithe, I'm glad you have the older books. I feel even more strongly about the superiority of the older NtK, than I do about the 4th edition of WRTR.

Just about anyone who has compared 4th edition WRTR to the newer editions and preferred it, will have a similar response to comparing the older and newer NtK.

I have the older books (gr. 2, 3, 4, 5, 6), and below is a "replay" from an older post of how we used them informally during the elementary years, from this past post:  "How do you use Core Knowledge Books (What Your ____ Grader Needs to Know)?". Really enjoyed seeing the variety of ways Hunter uses them. :)

Also check out these old threads:

"Anyone Here Use Core Knowledge?"

"What Your ___ Grader Needs to Know"

"What Your ... Grader Needs to Know"

"?s about What Your X Grader Needs to Know"

Hope something there sparks ideas for how YOUR family can use the books! Warmest regards, Lori D.

"We used the "What Your ... Grader Needs to Know" books by Core Knowledge in an informal way here. They were older editions (c. 1999 and early 2000s). We read through about 1-2 books per year, maybe a page or two at a sitting, several times a week as part of a family "together time". We had the grade 2 through grade 6 books, and we dipped into various books at different times in different ways over the course of several years.

For example, we took about 5 minutes 2 times a week to read the poetry and literature selections during our morning "together time". Very enjoyable!

For a year or two, we went through the "adage" section from all of the books, doing as a game. After lunch a few days a week, we did the famous sayings/adages as a fun "Wheel of Fortune" game (fill in the blanks for the letters of the saying on the white board like Hangman, used dice instead of a wheel), and then read about the saying/discussed it. The boys loved that.

We read aloud the art and music sections for about 10-15 minutes once a week whenever we did art or music.

We read aloud a history or science section whenever it fit in with whatever history or science we were covering at the time.

We never really used the math section -- although, I sometimes would read through it on my own to make sure we were covering all the math topics for that grade level, or to get an idea of a different way to present a math topic that a child was not getting.

We really enjoyed the series, and were sad when we finally outgrew them. Overall, we found the books to be a great additional resource to schedule in whenever various topics in the books fit in."

Mommyfaithe, I hope you don't mind me barging into your conversation, but I just wanted to ask if you would continue using CLE in addition to using the NtK books or would you stop CLE and just used the NtK books?

Lol! No barging! We have been bouncing ideas off each other for years!

I am not sure....how is that for a clear answer! My youngest son is ummmmm....quirky. I have not had him tested or diagnosed as of yet....that is one goal for this year....he is very intelligent, needs very little repetition, and easily frustrates. He needs a straight to the point curriculum. For now, I have been doing the lesson part of the math and LA with him, then the quizzes and tests. He aces every one of them. Kind of expensive when you are skipping most of the lessons and exercises in a book! I believe he is gifted Asperger's. That is my feel anyway.

My next ds needs all the review and then some. Can you say yin yang? Lol! Total opposites! So, he stays with CLE. My oldest still homeschooling is staying with CLE until graduation. It is just easier on our relationship. This is what you have to do to finish...Kwim? So, that is my answer :-). Yes and no.

Anyway, as for my youngest, I think the WYCNTK books will be better and to the point, short CM type lessons....and I don't have to think too hard about it. My thinker is somewhat cracked....it is coming back, but I definitely am organizationally challenged now. Before my last huge flare up, I could write my own lesson plans, teach grammar through writing and copy work/ dictation, find cool projects etc. Now, I lose the darn workbooks if I let them out of the room! Frustrating, but trying to find my new normal....

MommyFaithe, I'm not sure what challenges you are struggling with right now, but I understand what you are saying. When I'm seizing a lot, I have to adapt my teaching to the realities of my impairments. It can be very frustrating.

I teach NtK better when I am well, but I can at least still teach with it when I am struggling.

MommyFaithe, I'm not sure what challenges you are struggling with right now, but I understand what you are saying. When I'm seizing a lot, I have to adapt my teaching to the realities of my impairments. It can be very frustrating.

I teach NtK better when I am well, but I can at least still teach with it when I am struggling.

I agree with this, I need something I can teach no matter what's going on.

I just figured out something. There is a complete American history rotation in grades 1-2 and then another rotation in grades 3-6. The world history rotation in grades 1-6, but there are 2 complete rotations for American history.

I so wish I could get ahold of the old scope and sequence. As I use the old series, I gradually figure out the organization, but it would be so nice to have it explicitly explained to me.

I've also noticed that grades 1-2 includes the history of the holidays that are often celebrated by grade schoolers. Martin Luther King and the Bicentennial are covered for modern history. Also Chinese New Year.