Menu

How do you use Core Knowledge books (What Your _ Grader Needs to Know books)?

mathnmusic

This series of Core Knowledge books (CK), "What Your (first, second, etc) Grader Needs to Know" looks amazing to me. I have all the books from K-6, and looking through the content, I think that if my kids finished 6th grade knowing all the material in these books, I'd consider them extremely well educated. Everything from art, science, history/geography, literature, music, world civilizations, it's so thorough. As a spin-off from another thread about Baltimore Curriculum Project, I wondered how people are using these books. I'd love to use it as a full curriculum (I would add 3R's), but how do you think multiple grades could be taught together with this? My kids are ages 6 and 8, so 1st and 3rd grade technically.

• 4 months later...

I'm bumping this old thread.

Is anyone seriously using the What your Grader Needs to Know books? The fact that they are available BOTH as kindle books AND as cheap used books and library books, makes them appealing to me right now.

I'm in this mood to seriously purge my library, and for better or worse, just streamline to a few Kindle and easily replaced books. I'm tired of the towers, that line the walls. Books and art supplies are the only mess in my home, otherwise it's pretty stark here and I prefer it that way. The books and supplies are getting to me. I feel like I'm losing more than I'm gaining by being responsible for such a load. We had a mini earthquake awhile back and the bookcases shook and could have fallen on me with a bit more shaking. And I was just looking at am them thinking, "I'm not sure I want you in my life anymore. It's been great and all that, but...I think we are growing apart."

I just learned about Books to Build On today. I'm surprised I've never heard of that book before. :confused:

I don't know, I've been picturing what it would be like to self-educate and tutor with little more than my Kindle and some paper, pencils and regular 24 packs of Crayolas.

I have the K and 1st grade book, and was looking at the free scope-and-sequence, a few Kindle samples, and the Books to Build On.

I love HTT and while I've been glad to have a hardcopy, I think I could just use the kindle version now. I figure the hardcopy NtK books might be like that. They might be nice to have, but less and less necessary, as I get more and more familiar with the volume.

I'm bumping this old thread.

Is anyone seriously using the What your Grader Needs to Know books? The fact that they are available BOTH as kindle books AND as cheap used books and library books, makes them appealing to me right now.

I'm almost serious about it :lol:.

I have the first grade one on my night stand and I've had it there since August. Every once and a while I read through it and mentally check off what we have done, and take note on things I want to cover yet. I actually really like the books. I like that the stories and information are actually written out. I don't see it as a stand-alone curriculum, but I do genuinely like it.

I have the first grade one on my night stand and I've had it there since August. Every once and a while I read through it and mentally check off what we have done, and take note on things I want to cover yet. I actually really like the books. I like that the stories and information are actually written out. I don't see it as a stand-alone curriculum, but I do genuinely like it.

What do you think of the history? The sentences are actually age appropriate. With "Books to Build On" I wonder how it looks as a complete history program.

Hunter, I'm replying to your question more given the OP is so old.

I used Core Knowledge 1st and 2nd grade sequence to create plans but never owned or even looked at the book. Then I took a break in planning my own lessons due to life and thought I might pick up with 3rd using the Core Knowledge book to make the planning easier. So I bought the 3rd grade book.

My thought is if you want to cover the material in the CK curriculum it's convenient (though certainly not necessary) to have the literature and artwork selections, for example, all in a book for you.

For us, though, I've decided the written material for history, science, and geography wouldn't "stick" if I just used the book as my source material. In the past I used a variety of resources for covering the recommended material as I didn't own the book itself.

After looking over the book I think I'll have to continue to use outside books and resources to cover the material. So I went ahead and switched gears a bit to incorporate some better "spines" as we cover ancient history CK concepts. As an example in my opinion the selection on the Punic Wars in both SOTW and MOH are both more interesting to read compared to the material written in What Your Third Grader Needs To Know. Because of that I'm seriously considering just going to ancients for history, simplifying my science this year (though I love CK science and the Baltimore plans), and maybe using some aspects of CK only.

The book wasn't all that I hoped but maybe my expectations were too high. There are things I really love about the way CK structures their cycles. You revisit topics adding new information each year. I think retention doing that would be far better than some other approaches. I guess I really love the scope and sequence but wish it required less footwork for me to use! The book, unfortunately, didn't really change the level of work the curriculum is going to take for us to continue using it.

Edited by sbgrace

:iagree: this is about where I am too!! Hunter I got a copy of How to Tutor and i'm wondering if you could give me a little breakdown of how you use it? I'm definitely thinking of using the free Alphaphonics lessons for my 5yo. Thanks

:iagree: this is about where I am too!! Hunter I got a copy of How to Tutor and i'm wondering if you could give me a little breakdown of how you use it? I'm definitely thinking of using the free Alphaphonics lessons for my 5yo. Thanks

I sit down quietly without the student, and create a notebook page exactly like I want the student's page to look like. It helps prepare me to teach the lesson and also gives the student a model.

For the math, I do use some Professor B style finger work and recitations as well as assigning the copywork.

For drilling the 12's (page 212) we read MY copywork example and then do a recitation.

A recitation would sound like this:

teacher: "12,10

student: "2"

teacher: "12,9"

student: "3"

teacher: "12,8"

"4"

"12,7"

"5"

"12,6"

"6"

"12,5"

"7"

"12,4"

"8"

"12,3"

"9"

"12,2"

"10"

First we would do that while reading my copywork sample and then without it.

Then I mix them up and drill rapid fire.

Then I have the student copy the 12's table, using my example as a model.

I might make up flashcards. or have the student use xtramath.com, but I'm doing that less and less. I usually only use these methods now to show the student they need more recitations and copywork. Random testing is not as efficient as recitations and copywork that follow a pattern, or a rule.

I spent some time using Spalding to remediate my own handwriting. I predominantly use lowercase cursive and uppercase manuscript. I am confident creating all my own materials because I am confident in my handwriting.

I think I'm looking at the NtK books just like you are looking at HTT. Can I really use this as my main curriculum? Alone or easily supplemented? What will a lesson be like? And what will the student produce if anything?

I'm learning how to teach with less and less in front of us. I don't have a blackboard or a whiteboard, so I make up copywork examples beforehand. If you ever had a teacher that taught from the blackboard with a lecture, then that is what these types of books can often be used for.

All that's in the book is a line of addition problems that add up to 12, but it takes 1/2 an hour to complete the lesson.

I'm wondering how well Principle Approach, vintage and Waldorf methods of lectures, recitations, copywork, notebooking, and drawings would work with the NtK lessons.

Textbooks used to be thin. Students were busy interacting with those thin books though, without workbooks or page after page of questions. They mastered the material in the book.

Edited by Hunter

Wondering what "Sentences" you're meaning. Are there sentences to memorize? Perhaps I just haven't noticed :)

Some people here have recently been talking about how complex the sentences are in history curricula supposedly written for K-3. I personally don't think 1st graders need to hear or try to read semicolons, while trying to understand history topics that they have NEVER heard of before.

This thread has some great information on the history scope and sequence.

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/showthread.php?t=70050

The book wasn't all that I hoped but maybe my expectations were too high.

My expectations have dropped a bit, and I am looking for different things than I have been in the past. I didn't find the "better" curricula to be so much better, and sometimes I found it to be so much worse.

If I'm going to have to tweak and supplement, than I'd rather start with a cheaper and smaller book, if possible. I don't know if these are good enough, but neither is all the rest of what I have, so, if it's not going to be good enough, maybe this not good enough would be better than that huge mess of not good enough.

Lately, every time I get frustrated with HTT and Professor B not being good enough for math, I look through the rest of my stash, find nothing better, sigh, and go back to HTT and PB. I wonder if NtK will become like that if I give it a chance, at least in History. I have NOTHING I like for history including MOH and SOTW, so my standards are pretty low here.

I do like Evan-Moor Daily Science 1, but if I already have NtK for the other subjects, I wonder if it will be good enough. And I like PA Noah Literature, but this looks good too.

I find I REALLY like having the same book in hardcopy and as a kindle version. It really is nice to have your curriculum with you at all times on your phone. That is a draw for me right now, for no super important reason that I can identify. It has come in handy at the library, but..I do most of my ordering of books online, so...it's not like that is going to be a common situation. It just...feels good, somehow. We all know I'm a bit weird. I'm also the kind of person that carries around a knife in her bag all the time too, just in case I need to cut something. And a few tea bags. And 2 pencils and 2 pens. And I'm not saying what else.

I have both the K and Grade 1 book. I think I'm going to start using them a bit this week, starting with the history and music, and see what happens.

Edited by Hunter

I'm wondering how well Principle Approach, vintage and Waldorf methods of lectures, recitations, copywork, notebooking, and drawings would work with the NtK lessons.

Textbooks used to be thin. Students were busy interacting with those thin books though, without workbooks or page after page of questions. They mastered the material in the book.

I think this would be economical and efficient. And you know I like that combo a lot!

I picked up a couple if these at a used book sale last week for a song (1st & 5th). I do think someone could easily use them for a spine. History and science, read the topic, go to the library and get out age appropriate books, do some copywork and narration or have the child write a summary on what he has read. (same with music and art). Personally for me, I like having Hostory in chronological order so I probably would not follow the history in the CK series. Math and Language arts you can take the topics and design your own worksheets to go with it for practice. I do not have a Kindle (or anything similar) yet ;) so I am still not sure how those work other than as an ebook, nut I think your idea to simplify is totally doable. I, personally, would not get rid of my books until I have tested my theory and know that is working. that way no regrets.

Edited by kayinpa

This thread says that Core Knowledge is more chronological than it first looks, but I'm confused. Is it just the Pearson books, whatever those are, that are chronological?

At first look, the history looked choppy to me. I don't have enough of the books to see more of the scope and sequence. Lately, it's always seeing the WHOLE series that makes or breaks it for me. Often the ones that look least attractive in each book, look totally different as a series.

Actually, the Pearson series (Core Knowledge) does run chronologically - it just runs American history and world history separately.

American History

3rd grade

Earliest Americans

Exploration in America

13 Colonies

4th grade

American Revolution

Constitution

Early Presidents

American Reformers

5th grade

Westward Expansion pre-Civil War

Civil War

Westward Expansion post-Civil War

6th grade

Immigration

Industrial Revolution in America

Reform in America

World History (I would assume it begins with ancients in grades 1-2)

3rd grade

Ancient Rome

Vikings

4th grade

Middle Ages

Spread of Islam

5th grade

Renaissance

Reformation

England - Golden Age

Age of Exploration

6th grade

Enlightenment

French Revolution

Industrial Revolution

Someone above mentioned classical vs CK. They are different in that CK does some World History and some American History each year. I would say that CK is more or less chronological. In World History, for example, Mesopotamia & Egypt are studied in grade 1, Greece in grade 2, Rome in grade 3 and so on. But kids do not spend a whole year just on ancient history. Each year there is a study of a modern country. In the first two years, world religions are studied. As much as possible, subjects are coordinated, but not in a forced way -- for example, Hinduism & Buddhism are studied in the same year that ancient China & modern Japan are studied. Also literature is coordinated -- Chinese & Indian folktales add depth to studies. Greek myths are read along with Greek history, etc.

Last night I was reading through the books and cracked up laughing that many of the lessons were exactly what I had compiled from a huge assortment of sources, over the last couple months for a certain student. She has a notebook of copywork, that looks almost as if I'd used NtK with her.

I'm sitting on my books for awhile. Extreme minimalism is a pattern for me though and I've never regretted the purges, even if I've replaced a few items later. When I was younger I loved collecting kitchen tools. Then I got sick of it all and got rid of everything, even the toaster. I eventually replaced the toaster, and bought a lettuce spinner--go figure--which I'd never had. I never again have had what would even qualify for a normal amount of kitchen tools. For the first two years after I got out of homelessness for the second time the only knife here was my folding pocket knife and plastic knives. :lol: A frequent visitor finally got so sick of it that she bought knives to use herself when she was here, disguised as a Christmas present to me. I'm still mixing up cake mixes in a pot with a potato masher, and cooking them in the lid of my cast iron dutch oven, and don't care at all.

Throughout my life, I end out focusing on one area, where I finally manage to to collect a sizable collection of items, enough to get it out of my system, and then I'm done. I'm just like that.

So I'm sitting on these books, to see if this is just a phase. But...I think I'm done with having lots of books. I've managed to recollect almost every book I had before homelessness, and any book I lusted after and wanted but couldn't have. And now that I have them all, and I compare having them to having almost no books at all, I'm ready to let them go. It's like it needed to be MY decision to go bookless, not poverty, homelessness, or a mean person restricting my access to them.

I'm generally not impulsive, except for when I'm heavily drugged for my seizures, and that's not the case right now. That's why I'm sitting on the books even though they are annoying me. I don't want to be impulsive. I'm going to get some boxes and gradually start boxing some up and get them out of sight and not accessible and see how that feels. That is something I have done in the past when going on a non-impulsive purge. If I don't open the boxes for months, I reopen them just to be sure, and then I give the things away. If I hadn't of done this with everything from kitchen tools to shoes to scented candles, I'd be more leery. I think anyone who bakes cakes like I do, is capable of tutoring with less than 3 walls of books.

I'm the only person I know who lived on a boat as a child, almost joined a Mennonite church, and has been homeless twice. It's kind of hard to own a collection of ANYTHING after that, even books.

We'll see what happens. I'm curious what's going to happen, because this has never happened with books before, except for a certain specific topic I tired of learning about. But I never had the opportunity to try out having so many books with the opportunity to have even more. I know I'm weird to be curious to watch what I'm going to do, but I am curious, because I'm only guessing what the future is going to bring.

I have a 6th grade 1st edition book from the library. It doesn't match the scope and sequence at all. Many of the 6th grade book topics are in the 7th and 8th grade scope and sequence.

Is the 1st edition different than the 2nd edition, or does the scope and sequence not match the books?

The new books line up to the S&S. (the 2nd edition... and yes they are way different and much better)

We are getting ready for Sandy to hit so I don't have time to write' date=' but I love the NTK books. I have dropped the Intellego Unit Studies actually and just use the NTK books and pick and choose "library" books (Ok I buy all our books our library sucks but you get the idea.

I think it's complete, enough on it's own when you need it to be and plenty of extras can be added when you have time. I definitely could see it used with a narration, copywork, Waldorf-y type style.[/quote']

Thanks so much. I've ordered some of the NtK books from the library, but I think they have not been careful to separate them by second and first editions.When I put them on hold, I don't think I know what I'll be getting.

Are there any plans for books for grades 7 and 8. The second edition series is not complete? The first edition series was complete in 6 books?

Jumping in to answer the original question:

I have used them different ways over the years. For K, it was nice to have the stories on hand to read from in one place. Actually that is nice in all of the books. If we are taking a trip, I can grab one of these books and have lots to read aloud on all kinds of topics, and not have to take a huge bag of books.

With my 1st 1st grader, I used the Art and Music sections to guide us through those subjects and just expanded on the book. We would read directly from the book, look at the art and such, then do any hands on it suggested. I picked up books from the library and C.Ds. and videos for the music sections, and we all had a really good time that year.

Then I have always used the lit. and history sections to find things that go along w/what we are studying. We do SOTW, but sometimes there will be things in these books that aren't in SOTW that complement it. Then I get an idea for some good library books that go with that subject and we end up with a better rounded history unit.

With my 2nd 1st grader, I was asked to co-teach a history class at co-op. I used WY1GNTK as a guide of what to teach in that history class that year. I did the class with library books and internet searches for worksheets and projects, but the book gave me a plan to follow.

Now the books are mostly supplements for us. But they come in handy. I often hand one off to my older dd and tell her to read a section of it for her silent reading if I feel we haven't covered something this year. At least she gets a little bit of info on the subject. I still like to pull them for the art sections. It is nice to have all of that in one place, etc.

I think it is a good sequence, and I like having the books on shelf to flip through.

I am so unbelievably frustrated right now!

There are NO resources for grades 7 and 8 other than the scope and sequence? The series is purposely written to NOT be repetitive, so there is little spiraling through the topics. The grades 7 and 8 topics are very important as they have not been covered in earlier grades. There are no books 7 and 8, and the advertising in the front of the second edition books implies that the series is finished with books for K-6.

Okay so if the publisher wasn't interested in selling books 7 and 8 if they would not be best sellers, you would think the foundation would be responsible enough not to leave parents and schools hanging.

Am I missing something here? Is this yet another provider misrepresenting their product? And not bothering to tell you they have not finished it, and never intend to, and leaving you in the dark for years before you figure that out?

Jumping in to answer the original question:

I have used them different ways over the years. For K, it was nice to have the stories on hand to read from in one place. Actually that is nice in all of the books. If we are taking a trip, I can grab one of these books and have lots to read aloud on all kinds of topics, and not have to take a huge bag of books.

With my 1st 1st grader, I used the Art and Music sections to guide us through those subjects and just expanded on the book. We would read directly from the book, look at the art and such, then do any hands on it suggested. I picked up books from the library and C.Ds. and videos for the music sections, and we all had a really good time that year.

Then I have always used the lit. and history sections to find things that go along w/what we are studying. We do SOTW, but sometimes there will be things in these books that aren't in SOTW that complement it. Then I get an idea for some good library books that go with that subject and we end up with a better rounded history unit.

With my 2nd 1st grader, I was asked to co-teach a history class at co-op. I used WY1GNTK as a guide of what to teach in that history class that year. I did the class with library books and internet searches for worksheets and projects, but the book gave me a plan to follow.

Now the books are mostly supplements for us. But they come in handy. I often hand one off to my older dd and tell her to read a section of it for her silent reading if I feel we haven't covered something this year. At least she gets a little bit of info on the subject. I still like to pull them for the art sections. It is nice to have all of that in one place, etc.

I think it is a good sequence, and I like having the books on shelf to flip through.

Great ideas!!

I am so unbelievably frustrated right now!

There are NO resources for grades 7 and 8 other than the scope and sequence? The series is purposely written to NOT be repetitive, so there is little spiraling through the topics. The grades 7 and 8 topics are very important as they have not been covered in earlier grades. There are no books 7 and 8, and the advertising in the front of the second edition books implies that the series is finished with books for K-6.

Okay so if the publisher wasn't interested in selling books 7 and 8 if they would not be best sellers, you would think the foundation would be responsible enough not to leave parents and schools hanging.

Am I missing something here? Is this yet another provider misrepresenting their product? And not bothering to tell you they have not finished it, and never intend to, and leaving you in the dark for years before you figure that out?

I looked at the website under the "by grade" and yes, there is no actual NTK book for 7th (and I am guessing 8th) grade. There are a few resources such as a day by day workbook. There is a 4th grade sample which I am getting ready to view in I hook up my phone to my laptop. There is also a CD music for that grade level, neither of which I think is what you are looking for. I can understand your frustration.

Has anyone used the first edition set? It looks like there were 6 books for grades 1-6. Were they written to be a COMPLETE set???

The 1st edition 6th grade book is pretty difficult for a public school scope and sequence. I'm thinking the foundation decided to spread the content out to two more grades upward, but the publisher decided to only continue publishing up to grade 6 and added a lower preschool and kindergarten book. And maybe the foundation cannot just give us the missing content, because it is copyrighted by the publisher. What a mess was made in the "improvements". I'm not sure which version of the series the "Books to Build On" book goes with, if either one.

I see a plentiful amount of the hardcover (and paperback) 1st edition books available for very reasonable prices at a variety of used retailers that I frequent. There are no kindle books though :-( I really like the idea of a kindle backup on my phone.

The workbook--whatever that is--goes up to grade 8, but the teacher's manuals only go up to grade 5. Why pay so much for an unfinished series? I am just not getting this at all. The whole point of this series is to prevent gaps and it's not finished????? Most people who obsess over gaps are not going to adopt an unfinished series. Are they just hoping we'll be stupid enough to spend a lot of money before we figure that out? Or that fear of gaps is not enough to stop most people/schools from endlessly curriculum hopping, so it doesn't matter.

This type of thing REALLY irritates me. It makes me feel taken advantage of. There is nothing on the website to help people understand the changes that have taken place, or how to best serve the needs of the children and teachers and parents using this curriculum. Shame on them! I guess more than anything they don't want to advertise that they dumbed down the curriculum. :lol:

Interesting. I am no help. I just pick them up used each year for the upcoming grade, and haven't used the S&S as our whole curric. So I haven't looked into it that much. I was aware that they S&S books go up to 8th and that the books only go up to 6th.

Interesting that you think the 6th book is advanced. I don't have it yet, but am interested to see it now. I also have never used any workbooks. I was aware that there is a preschool one, but didn't know there were any for any other grades. I would be interested to see them. I know there are now texts available as well, instead of just the WYGNTK books. But I haven't looked into them too much either. They seemed very pricey when I did look at them once.

Good luck to you....

Interesting. I am no help. I just pick them up used each year for the upcoming grade, and haven't used the S&S as our whole curric. So I haven't looked into it that much. I was aware that they S&S books go up to 8th and that the books only go up to 6th.

Interesting that you think the 6th book is advanced. I don't have it yet, but am interested to see it now. I also have never used any workbooks. I was aware that there is a preschool one, but didn't know there were any for any other grades. I would be interested to see them. I know there are now texts available as well, instead of just the WYGNTK books. But I haven't looked into them too much either. They seemed very pricey when I did look at them once.

Good luck to you....

:iagree:

Hunter, I think the books 1-6 are the complete set. I have the first editions of the 3rd, 4th and 5th grade book, the rest are the revised editions.

From what I can see, the first and revised editions cannot be mixed, if you are using them to prevent gaps. I don't know about the lower levels, but I do know the 6th grade books in the first and revised editions are VERY different.

The revised 6th grade is not difficult, but the first edition is a challenge for the average public school class. The first edition 6th grade is doable, but I agree it's BETTER to spread some of that out to grades 7 and 8. One of the best ways to prevent gaps is to keep the curriculum doable so it gets FINISHED by ALL students. I'm not always against "dumbing down", but I am against what they have done with this series. Lopping off the end of the curriculum insures that NONE of the students will FINISH. I don't get it.

From what I can see, the first and revised editions cannot be mixed, if you are using them to prevent gaps. I don't know about the lower levels, but I do know the 6th grade books in the first and revised editions are VERY different.

The revised 6th grade is not difficult, but the first edition is a challenge for the average public school class. The first edition 6th grade is doable, but I agree it's BETTER to spread some of that out to grades 7 and 8. One of the best ways to prevent gaps is to keep the curriculum doable so it gets FINISHED by ALL students. I'm not always against "dumbing down", but I am against what they have done with this series. Lopping off the end of the curriculum insures that NONE of the students will FINISH. I don't get it.

I'm only planning to use a few sections from each book as of right now. I have a revised edition 2nd grade book and an older 3rd grade book , the 2nd grade book does Greek history and the 3rd grade book picks up with Rome. I do see that there will be some overlap, but for the student I would be using these with that would fine.

I'm only planning to use a few sections from each book as of right now. I have a revised edition 2nd grade book and an older 3rd grade book , the 2nd grade book does Greek history and the 3rd grade book picks up with Rome. I do see that there will be some overlap, but for the student I would be using these with that would fine.

I'm such an OCD person. Hell for me would be to be locked in a room with nothing to occupy myself except a mixed edition set of NtK. Shudder! I don't think I would ever recover. :lol:

Did you buy the music CDs directly from the publisher?

We used the "What Your ... Grader Needs to Know" books by Core Knowledge in an informal way here. They were older editions (c. 1999 and early 2000s). We read through about 1-2 books per year, maybe a page or two at a sitting, several times a week as part of a family "together time". We had the grade 2 through grade 6 books, and we dipped into various books at different times in different ways over the course of several years.

For example, we took about 5 minutes 2 times a week to read the poetry and literature selections during our morning "together time".

After lunch a few days a week, we did the famous sayings/adages as a fun "Wheel of Fortune" game (fill in the blanks for the letters of the saying on the white board like Hangman, used dice instead of a wheel), and then read about the saying/discussed it.

We read the art and music sections for about 10-15 minutes once a week whenever we did art or music.

We read a history or science section whenever it fit in with whatever history or science we were covering at the time.

We never really used the math section -- although, I sometimes would read through it on my own to make sure we were covering all the math topics for that grade level, or to get an idea of a different way to present a math topic that a child was not getting.

We really enjoyed the series, and were sad when we finally outgrew them. Overall, we found the books to be a great additional resource to schedule in whenever various topics in the books fit in. Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.

We used the "What Your ... Grader Needs to Know" books by Core Knowledge in an informal way here.

I envy you, being able to just...not obsess.

I can't seem to look at them as anything less than a prescription for the ailment of fatal gaps, that I must administer correctly. It's like I think I'm going to breed some sort of continent destroying supergerm created by improper administration of antibiotics.

I think I need some sort of vacation. I don't know what kind or where, but I need to just...something. I don't what. Oh, look! A smilie that's appropriate. I need a :chillpill: :lol:

I can't seem to look at them as anything less than a prescription for the ailment of fatal gaps, that I must administer correctly.

Um, well, I guess I just saw them as one of a number of supplements sitting on the shelf, and just plugged them in when they fit. :)

Here's an idea: put masking tape over the title; rewrite the title to what will allow you to think of it as just a nice supplement rather than some sort of ultimate gap-filler. ;)

Even better -- just tear out the pages you want to keep, 3-hole punch and store in a folder, and toss the rest! (Just helping you try and get radical! :tongue_smilie:)

Hugs, Lori

Um, well, I guess I just saw them as one of a number of supplements sitting on the shelf, and just plugged them in when they fit. :)

Here's an idea: put masking tape over the title; rewrite the title to what will allow you to think of it as just a nice supplement rather than some sort of ultimate gap-filler. ;)

Even better -- just tear out the pages you want to keep, 3-hole punch and store in a folder, and toss the rest! (Just helping you try and get radical! :tongue_smilie:)

Hugs, Lori

Oh my gosh I think I love this idea. I struggle with feeling "behind" since my 1st and 2nd graders are currently working on topics in the K book. If I put a cover over the book and renamed it CK Book 1' date=' I wouldn't feel like we are grade levels behind ourselves. (we are actually working through K, 1, 2, and 3 but mostly in K at the moment)[/quote']

:iagree: and Lori, I loved your ideas for using the books. Awesome!!!!!!

I'm still obsessing over all this. I was really hoping to shrink my home library, by using these books. I think I'm complicating things in my efforts to simplify though. It'll be simpler to keep my walls of books than to keep obsessing like this.

I have several different curricula books in both hardcopy editions and kindle ebooks. I find I need the hardcopy edition when I first start using the book, and if students are working directly from the book. As time moves on though, I use the book less and less with the student, and only as a reference for myself. I end out writing a lot of sample copywork I expect the student to copy. Even with the book on the shelf, I will often just quickly open up the ebook to check a few sentences while I'm preparing a page of copywork, and never reach for the book itself. That is AFTER I have worked with the book for awhile though.

I can imagine getting to that place with the NtK books, but am not sure. I know I would need them at least at the beginning, though.

I'm betting that all the necessary information to complete the new series, is in just the 5th and 6th grade old series. Maybe some of the old 1st grade information is in the new kindergarten and preschool books. I'm thinking maybe I will need the new P, K, 1-6, and the old 5-6. I have put a lot of books on hold at the library.

Yes, I think of the books as levels, not grades, just like McGuffey's and many other vintage books. And I have used really low levels of CGE and EM daily Science. I really like those series, but don't obsess over the numbers on the covers at all. Especially when students seldom see the books themselves.

As we do more and more Waldorf and Principle Approach style notebooking. Sometimes I call the copywork we do "slatework" because it really is different than Charlotte Mason style copywork. We do very little copying of pretty language. It's more charts and definitions and rules and diagrams and captions. I do so much lecturing from the copywork pages I create. It's my version of lecturing from a blackboard that was prepared before the students arrived.