Menu

Homeschooling in Illinois

There are no hoops at all.  There's basically no oversight.  On the downside, many districts do not allow homeschoolers to go part time or participate in school sports.  Rec teams are common, but it's a pain if you're not near one.  Also, dual enrollment I think is what you're thinking of, and Idk if it's free here, but it depends on the community college-most are private with public funding and very inexpensive.  Some will not allow dual enrollment situations but will allow you to take a class if you haven't graduated high school.  AFAIK with the colleges dh has taught at, you have to pay, though it's pretty inexpensive.  

The only hoop that I am aware of is that you have to give your existing school written notice that you are transferring your child to another school.  (If your child is not currently attending school, this would not be required.)  There is no requirement to state that it is a homeschool, because in IL, a homeschool is by definition a private school on the same footing as all other b&m private schools.  You need not make any notification to the state.  But just like any other private school, there is no state funding for anything, but you can deduct educational expenses on your taxes.  IL HOUSE is an organization that provides information about IL laws relevant to homeschooling.  

The only hoop that I am aware of is that you have to give your existing school written notice that you are transferring your child to another school.  (If your child is not currently attending school, this would not be required.)  There is no requirement to state that it is a homeschool, because in IL, a homeschool is by definition a private school on the same footing as all other b&m private schools.  You need not make any notification to the state.  But just like any other private school, there is no state funding for anything, but you can deduct educational expenses on your taxes.  IL HOUSE is an organization that provides information about IL laws relevant to homeschooling.  

Oh, IL allows deductions for educational expenses? I did not know that. How kewl is that? Most states don't. :-)

I don't think there's a law that requires you to officially withdraw your child from school, but it's a smart thing to do so. Otherwise, children who just cease to show up are considered truant, and then you might have to deal with that mess. :-p