Menu

Attic Greek Texts?

dawn of ns

My duaghter is going through the Greek Alphabetarion and Greek Hupogrammon. This is fine, she'll learn her alphabet. The problem is looking for a text beyond that. She wants to learn greek to read ancient Greek works - Attic Greek. We're not interested in koine/biblical Greek right now.

Are there Attic greek texts for homeschoolers? Is it much different from koine?

Help?

There is an Ancient Greek text that is sold by Galore Park. It's a fairly basic one-year course, called Greek - A New Guide for Beginners.

Galore Park is working on a brand new Ancient Greek text, similar in style to their Latin Prep, that should be out within the next year or so, if you can wait that long.

Best wishes

Laura

We used the book Laura referenced this past year. It is a great book. Unfortunately there is no answer key but I think my dd got a good grounding. We are anxiously awaiting a Greek Prep series from GP. There just is not much out there for Attic that is not aimed at the high schooler and beyond. We are going to focus on French this coming year or I may have searched harder for Greek options. There are a few texts that get good reviews on Amazon. Maybe try there.

My duaghter is going through the Greek Alphabetarion and Greek Hupogrammon. This is fine, she'll learn her alphabet. The problem is looking for a text beyond that. She wants to learn greek to read ancient Greek works - Attic Greek. We're not interested in koine/biblical Greek right now.

Are there Attic greek texts for homeschoolers? Is it much different from koine?

Help?

You can learn ancient Greek first. Koine is very easy to read if you have studied ancient Greek. I'd concentrate on ancient Greek first.

Athenaze is a very good introduction to ancient Greek. Reading Greek from the Joint Association of Classical Teachers is also quite good. Both have a connected storyline. Reading Greek has an independent study guide available for students working through it alone. While they use a lot of reading-based techniques, there's plenty of grammar in these books.

After working through Reading Greek, it's not difficult at all to pick up a copy of the Greek New Testament and just start reading. Koine just isn't that difficult at all.

You can learn ancient Greek first. Koine is very easy to read if you have studied ancient Greek. I'd concentrate on ancient Greek first.

Athenaze is a very good introduction to ancient Greek. Reading Greek from the Joint Association of Classical Teachers is also quite good. Both have a connected storyline. Reading Greek has an independent study guide available for students working through it alone. While they use a lot of reading-based techniques, there's plenty of grammar in these books.

After working through Reading Greek, it's not difficult at all to pick up a copy of the Greek New Testament and just start reading. Koine just isn't that difficult at all.

Latinteach,

What ages/grade levels would you consider Reading Greek and Athenaze to be aimed at?

Latinteach,

What ages/grade levels would you consider Reading Greek and Athenaze to be aimed at?

Probably secondary school to college level, with Reading Greek being the more difficult of the two. Reading Greek also is two volumes. One volume is the grammar reference and the other is the reading text.

My copy of Athenaze (and a much older edition) has disappeared, but I recall it being comparable to Oxford Latin. (Plaid Dad, aren't you using Athenaze?)

I used Reading Greek when I took some college classes in Ancient Greek. I have no problems with the text, but can't imagine working through it without a teacher. I haven't seen the independent study, supplement, though, so that may make all the difference.

Currently I'm planning on using Athenaze with my dc when we get to that point. :)

Kelsy

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kareni viewpost.gif

My daughter is going to be taking on out of the home Greek class. The text her instructor will be using is Thrasymachus: Greek Through Reading by C. Peckett .

This is fairly similar to the Oerberg text, though the Oerberg text has a lot more ancillary material.

By the Oerburg text, are you referring to Lingua Latina or does he have Greek too?

Would Thrasymachus, Reading Greek or Athenaze be equivalent to Henle or are they more difficult?

By the Oerburg text, are you referring to Lingua Latina or does he have Greek too?

Would Thrasymachus, Reading Greek or Athenaze be equivalent to Henle or are they more difficult?

By Oerberg, I mean his Lingua Latina texts.

Thrasymachus states in its preface that "this book is intended primarily for pupils who have done enough Latin to have a working knowledge of the simpler uses the cases of nouns and adjectives and of the persons and tenses of the verb in the indicative. Pupils who know this much should be able to proceed fairly quickly. It is, however, possible for this book to be used by those who have done no Latin at all, provided that their teacher is willing to teach, in his own way, the very elementary grammar first." So, the writer of this Greek textbook expects that the student knows some very basic Latin.

Those using Thrasymachus are expected to do the reading material first and then read the grammatical explanations. Each chapter has the forms for the chapter at the end of the chapter and there's a full grammar at the end of the book.

Thrasymachus is a reading textbook. The grammar does have some English explanation.

If a student has worked through Henle, I think they'd probably do fine working with any of the three, though Athenaze probably would be the most user friendly.