Menu

switched on schoolhouse questions

We have had a rough last few years and a huge move.  I even tried to convince all the kids to go to public school :huh: I need to make homeschool easier on me.  I do have some special needs.  So, my I have to keep after my oldest and I have to sit and do all schoolwork with my 3rd child.  My younger two just need to have some time with me.  And, the stress of the last 6 years has caught up with me.  I have been trying to figure out exactly where our difficulties are.  

I am interested in using SOS for Science for the oldest two.  They use Apologia currently and they won't get it done.  The only way is for me to do it with them.  I don't have it in me anymore. I just don't. 

What will I have to do with SOS?  Does it check everything?  Do they still fill out lab reports?  

We tried it several years ago. Awful and horrible are not quite strong enough to describe it. My kids have all used it for health, but only because it is a subject that I find ridiculous to be required. It was strictly for checking a box. I don't recall any lab reports. THen again, I am not sure dd made it out of the second chapter of biology before I threw the danged thing away.

I wouldn't use it. We tried it for a few subjects, and no. 

Right now my 14 year old is using Time 4 Learning, the highschool physical science. It's $31 a month, and worth it. He is enjoying it. That price covers 4 classes, so I'll probably add on health for him as soon as we finish up our study skills unit we are doing. 

K-8 cost is lower, but not sure if all grades include science. 

My understanding is that Apologia without labs would be better than SOS any day.

But what if you signed them up for http://www.virtualhomeschoolgroup.com/

They can study the Apologia science curriculum online with a group or use their self-paced option.  The self-paced option is free.  I'm working through a course myself this year so that I'll know what is going on for my son next year.