Menu

Question about Paul Johnson's book A History of the American People...

I had planned on using this book as a supplement to Carson's US history series of books . My son however, has looked at both and told me earlier that he would like to use Johnson's book as his spine for history. My question is this.... how do I do that exactly? My first thoughts is to have him read the book )(so many pages a day) and to take notes as he reads. I was thinking about having him underline words that he is not sure of the meaning and then look them up and write a definition of the words in his history notebook. Beyond that I am not sure what to do. I would like to have him read books to go along with this...specifically Albert Marrins books along with various other books. Do I have to read the entire book to figure out where these extra books will fit into the book? How do you guys figure these things out. As you can see I am in need of some guidance. So anyhone care to help?

Thanks

I see from the table of contents of Johnson's book (available on Amazon) that dates are given for each part of the book (i.e., Part Six, "The First International Nation", Melting Pot America, 1912-1929). With that information and the basic time frame of each Albert Marrin book you could match them up. Therefore, Marrin's The Yanks are Coming: The United States in the First World War would go with this part of Johnson's book.

Regards,

Kareni

don't we have a place to put files so someone who creates a work of genius doesn't have to email to eveyone who is interested. We do this on the art groups i belong to - people can post pictures and/or instructions that we can all access. Because i would like one too Tina, and i am sure there are other people down the road who might like to take a look as well.

I mean, I do understand choosing who you send something to with an eye to possible copyright, etc. but if an author has purposed to make something available, it might be easier to have a 'files' forum.

just a thought,

kate in seattle

The "story" of history flows in the Johnson books and topics aren't broken down with nice, neat headings as in a textbook. Nevertheless, it is interesting and well-written, and my kids have enjoyed it.

Tina, I'd be interested in your outline, too! We have used Johnson in the past as a supplement, with the kids using the index to look up information. An outline would be helpful.

homeprof6@sbcglobal.net