Menu

Rant: Calvin's working at twice his previous rate - I'm so cross!!

Calvin has been dawdling more and more as the years have gone by, especially in maths. I've tried various ways of speeding him up (including the inevitable nagging) to no avail.

This week I gave him control of his Engish and maths - just wrote a list for the week, told him to get on with it, and he could choose whatever English/Maths he wanted to do at the end if he finished his work early. I had tried to do this with him before, but he always resisted.

Today is Wednesday and he has finished his week's work! I'm torn between wanting to congratulate him and slap him. He's a bit shamefaced himself. Aaagh! I've wasted a couple of years nagging a child who didn't want the control that would allow him to fulfil his potential! Aaaaagh!

As you were

Laura

Aaagh! I've wasted a couple of years nagging a child who didn't want the control that would allow him to fulfil his potential! Aaaaagh!Laura

Coincidentally, Wade & I briefly discussed Calvin last night when we were having a "gosh we're almost done here so it's time to recap and recall our time here" happy hour conversation. As you know, Calvin's potential is enormous. Wade has traveled a lot, was schooled in expensive prep schools, and he has never met any kid like him. A gem.

As you know, Calvin's potential is enormous. Wade has traveled a lot, was schooled in expensive prep schools, and he has never met any kid like him. A gem.

Knowing his potential it just does make me crazy when he doesn't fulfill it. Right now, it's up to me to help him use his ability. It's going to be very hard in a few years when I have to step back and give the reins more to him - watch him fail and (I hope) get beyond that.

How are the preparations going?

Laura

How are the preparations going?

Laura

Everything is humming along; we're just busy filling out all kinds of forms for shipping our stuff home. The company hired movers so this time we don't have to pack and ship ourselves, which makes life easy.

Overall, we're visiting our favorite places one last time, seeing some friends and just enjoying the time we have left. Fortunately the weather is bad and the view is terrible, so it makes leaving a bit easier... ;)