Menu

Boxed Curriculum for 5th ... Ideas?

lovinmomma

I've been out of the homeschooling loop for the most part for a couple of years now. I'm wondering what options there are out there for mostly boxed curriculum? I'm looking for 5th grade specifically. Something that I can choose my own math is an option, too. I'm just needing an Instructor's guide. Something open and go.

Secular, protestant, Catholic?

Secular:

Oak Meadow

Calvert

K12

Catholic:

Kolbe

Catholic Heritage

Seton

Anglicum

Our Lady of Victory

Mother of Divine Grace

Protestant:

I have no first hand knowledge of these, really, and haven't researched them. Off the top of my head... Abeka, BJU, My Father's World

Secular, protestant, Catholic?

Secular:

Oak Meadow

Calvert

K12

Catholic:

Kolbe

Catholic Heritage

Seton

Anglicum

Our Lady of Victory

Mother of Divine Grace

Protestant:

I have no first hand knowledge of these, really, and haven't researched them. Off the top of my head... Abeka, BJU, My Father's World

Secular. Some Christian content is fine, but I don't want it to be completely centered around spirituality. I know Sonlight has A Christian foundation, so something like that is ok, too.

Calvert lets you choose between their math and "Math in Focus" (Singapore "My Pals are Here" for the US market).  It would give you a daily lesson plan; where as Oak Meadow is weekly.   Some school districts provide Calvert as a virtual school option if that interests you.

Sonlight, too, is daily...but IMHO it has gotten much more....can't find the right word...young Earthish?  In the past, I didn't really get that, but then I had used earlier Cores.  Now I've read some stuff in even the 3 week samples which make me uneasy.  

Timberdoodle also has a "boxed" curriculum.

Calvert lets you choose between their math and "Math in Focus" (Singapore "My Pals are Here" for the US market).  It would give you a daily lesson plan; where as Oak Meadow is weekly.   Some school districts provide Calvert as a virtual school option if that interests you.

Sonlight, too, is daily...but IMHO it has gotten much more....can't find the right word...young Earthish?  In the past, I didn't really get that, but then I had used earlier Cores.  Now I've read some stuff in even the 3 week samples which make me uneasy.  

Timberdoodle also has a "boxed" curriculum.

Off to google Calvert and Timberdoodle. Thank you! :auto:

You know what? I think what I really want is an open and go history program with literature intertwined. That way I can add in my own LA and math. And do interest led science. Hmmm... something to think about.

I think that I'm going to start another thread specifically about open and go history/literature.

Of course there's always Calvert which is Secular.  5th grade covers a LOT of writing, outlining, narratives and other compositions.  5th grade focuses on American History, including 5 books related to American history, the textbook and labeling and memorizing the 50 states and capitals.  Even the poetry is tied to the American History.  

The Science is A Closer Look series which we love, with enough hands on Science experiments to make it interesting but not so many to overwhelm you.  There is computer lessons which teach everything from networking basics to using Editing software like Word. The art is A Child's HIstory of Art: Architecture with related art projects tied to the art history.  We LOVE this art series.  

We love the online spelling program.  The workbook is supplemental so we skip most of it.  

It's expensive, but you get a lot for your money including access to teachers who use and love the program and will talk to you, or your child, over the phone any and every time you get stuck.  

I think there are a lot of great options which are less expensive, but Calvert just works for us.  I love having the open and go manual and teaching everything in an organized, professional way.  There's a lot of variety and hands on stuff built in, and it requires little to no planning on my part.  I just open up and teach with confidence.

We have disliked some things here and there over the years but overall Calvert is very good and I've heard that 5th grade is often one of the favorite years in Calvert since everything is linked together so nicely.