Menu

Midwest Colleges

BlsdMama

Our PNW plans for college are changing. We need to, very quickly, rethink our college options and get in apps.

We're open to suggestions.

Music major and wants to minor in Lit., or Russian Studies.

She'd like to be around Iowa. I'd like her to be at a Christian college.

So far we've thought of Luther and Cornell. She likes Loras as well. Suggestions? I'm familiar-ISH with Iowa colleges, but not at all with others in the Midwest.

Would she go further north?  Because St. Olafs in Minnesota or Lawrence in Wisconsin are both liberal arts colleges with excellent music programs.  Our new church music director is a St. Olaf grad and from what she has described it sounds like heaven for a musician or singer. Further east there are good music programs at Oberlin (though probably not a good fit if you prefer a Christian school), Otterbein and Wooster.

DePauw University (two states over in Indiana) has a fine music program, as well as a Russian studies department. Greencastle is a cozy little town about an hour west of Indianapolis. It was originally Methodist. Good luck in your search!

Well, never mind.... We had a long talk last night and she wants to live at home ONLY.  I understand that and it probably makes good sense  - both financially and emotionally.  (We're preparing, God willing, to move "home" near family and friends after being gone for four years.) 

So now the only decision is secular university, small Catholic college with longer commute, or "Christian" college that is really quite liberal.  Hmm.... 

I know I probably missed something..but what is PNW plans? And why have they changed?

PNW - Pacific Northwest

DH had an interview two weeks ago that looks likely. We're hoping to find out today or next week. If so, it would move us back to the Midwest. The Midwest is where she really wants to be but we had planned on her staying with us and going to college in Oregon if we were here.