Menu

Recommend a New England vacation for family with little kids?

Aspasia

We are wanting to head up to New England to enjoy the fall foliage and generally just get away. Our kids are really little (6,3,1) so that limits us. We were thinking of doing Boston, but I don't know how much our kids could really enjoy. All the stuff that seems cool for adults or elementary age kids just seems like a lot of walking and waiting for the littles.

I don't even know what it is we would be able to do--this is why we don't go on many non-beach vacations! Any ideas?

We would enjoy some hiking, maybe some apple picking--you know, fall stuff. What is there to do for families like ours???

We moved to RI when we had a 4 year old and infant twins. Over the next four years, we managed to drag them around to quite a few sites on the weekends. Some that especially enjoyed:

• Mystic Aquariam
  • Mystic Seaport
  • Sturbridge Village
  • Walden Pond/The Old North Bridge/Minuteman State Park
  • Boston Science Museum
  • Providence Children's Museum
  • Roger Williams Zoo (in Providence)
  • Cliff Walk (Newport--this is where we lived)
  • Norman Bird Sanctuary (can't remember if this is in Newport or the next town up)
  • Breton Point (also in Newport. Go to see the kites and stay until dusk to spot the rabbits)
  • Plimouth Plantation

We took about a month to travel the East Coast when my kids were younger. We loved Williamsburg. We also went to Boston and enjoyed that so much! Your kids are younger than ours were though, so I'm not sure how much they would get out of it. I'm sure you can find some activities there, and they might enjoy the Duck Tour. :) We also stayed overnight in an old caboose in Lancaster, PA, and the kids sure enjoyed that.

If you are coming to see the foliage, you'd better hurry.  I heard that the north has already hit peak.  It is beautiful in my backyard!  

If you head to MA,  I'd go to Plymouth Plantation and the Freedom trail.  If it rains, there is always the Boston Aquarium, Museum of Science, and Museum of Fine Arts to keep you occupied.  

You won't see much foliage in Boston though.  For that I'd go to the White Mountains.

If you head up toward quechee/sugarbush there is billing farm which has an 1918's house and usually has horse drawn hayrides. There is also the Monteshire Science Museum which kids love. There are quite a few pick your owns up that way too (PM if you decide to go and want to know what they are).  If you head up 89 further there is Rock of Ages which is a granite quarry totally fun or you can keep going for Ben and Jerry's (who doesn't love ice cream).  There is an aquarium in Burlington.

When are you going? According to the discussion on a friend's newsfeed today, the foliage is past peak up near Lincoln, NH.  At this point I would check foliage guides if you are hoping for any of that. You will also want to keep an eye out for what is affected by the shutdown, as any National Forest or Historic site will be affected.  There are several good museums (Museum of Science and the Boston Children's Museum) and an aquarium in Boston. If you have a car you can easily visit some historical sites for a side trip that would let you see some of the foliage (Lexington and Concord, Wayside Inn) though again I'd check to see how much of those types of places are accessible should the shutdown continue while you are visiting. On occasion you can find things to do with Pilgrims, too....  South of Boston you could visit Edaville Railroad and take a train ride through the cranberry bogs. We took a tour of a private cranberry bog last year, and I think something like Edaville Railroad might be better for younger kids. 

I don't know if the Swan Boats will be running at this point in the year, but if your kids are fond of Make Way for Ducklings they can go to the pond in Boston and visit the statues of the ducks and ducklings. Even as older kids my kids loved that. Quincy Market is also pretty popular, but I'd recommend visiting during off hours when it won't be so crowded.

We loved Plymouth Plantation. Kids are allowed to touch, sit on beds, etc. So it's a museum that is not museum-y. If you are going soon, you could visit the the (sandy, smooth) public beach in Plymouth -- it's on the bay, so the water stays reasonably warm, plus it's shallow and no big waves. Plymouth itself has lots of places with homemade ice cream, and there is also an old fashioned penny candy store. We enjoyed a pirate cruise on Plymouth harbor -- the kids on the 'big' boat got to 'attack' a pirate in a tiny boat -- they sprayed him with water hoses. We loved the John Carver Inn -- there is a swimming pool with a water slide in the shape of the Mayflower's prow. It would be fine for your 6 year old and maybe for the three year old if you caught him/her. 

There are lots of other attractions around Plymouth. The Plymouth tourist office was extremely helpful when I called with questions. Btw, we went a few years ago, but I hope my info is still reasonably accurate.

We moved to RI when we had a 4 year old and infant twins. Over the next four years, we managed to drag them around to quite a few sites on the weekends. Some that especially enjoyed:

• Mystic Aquariam
  • Mystic Seaport
  • Sturbridge Village
  • Walden Pond/The Old North Bridge/Minuteman State Park
  • Boston Science Museum
  • Providence Children's Museum
  • Roger Williams Zoo (in Providence)
  • Cliff Walk (Newport--this is where we lived)
  • Norman Bird Sanctuary (can't remember if this is in Newport or the next town up)
  • Breton Point (also in Newport. Go to see the kites and stay until dusk to spot the rabbits)
  • Plimouth Plantation

Born and raises in RI and this is a great list.  When we go back to visit, we would go to most of these places.  

For foliage and fun with kids those ages, I'd say Storyland hands down. It's right up in the White Mountains in New Hampshire, and all the rides there can be ridden by everyone in the whole family. Right around the corner you can take the cog railway up to the top of Mount Washington. We always stayed at a place nearby that had an indoor pool and a playground that the kids thought were wonderful. It's also right next to North Conway that has tons of outlet shopping if you like that. We used to go up there every year with the kids were little.

For foliage and fun with kids those ages, I'd say Storyland hands down. It's right up in the White Mountains in New Hampshire, and all the rides there can be ridden by everyone in the whole family. Right around the corner you can take the cog railway up to the top of Mount Washington. We always stayed at a place nearby that had an indoor pool and a playground that the kids thought were wonderful. It's also right next to North Conway that has tons of outlet shopping if you like that. We used to go up there every year with the kids were little.

I agree that Storyland is a very family friendly place for kids of the age you have. There are also very good deals if you will be in the area for two days regarding admission. A lot of attractions up here are only open on weekends now, and Storyland closes after next weekend. I don't know if you were planning to travel midweek or not to take advantage of a homeschooling schedule, but that may prove difficult depending on what you want to do and where you end up going. We're getting a lot of wind today and losing quite a few leaves, and we're (in southern NH) not quite at peak foliage. If you haven't left for vacation yet I would not count on seeing much on the way of peak foliage in northern parts of New England. Canobie is open for longer in the season but is open only F-Sun at this point.