Menu

Opinions on 11th/12th grade

So, my twins went off to ps for high school. They're both doing great both academically and socially, but my more introverted twin has been saying she'd like to come home next year (11th). She doesn't like all the busywork, and feels like she'd learn more and get more done at home in less time. Yeah, probably true. (Extroverted twin is energized by the other kids and is pushing herself in a way she wouldn't at home - she'd wilt. What different kids...)

Anyway, I have no idea if she'd actually end up coming home next year, but I need to plan waaay in advance. So, I'd love some feedback on how to fill in her last two years. She's thinking of becoming a programmer/computer engineer of some kind.

11th:

English - maybe Pre-AP English at Aim Academy (mostly writing) or WriteGuide?, plus book club w/ discussion, WWtW for vocab.

Math - Foerster's Precalc? She really liked Foerster's for Alg 1 and pretty much taught herself. She says she prefers to just teach herself than having a teacher; she says they confuse her more than help. Is the Foerster's Precalc a good text for her to teach herself?

Science - She's doing Honors Chem this year. She did alg-based Physics in 8th and Honors Bio in 9th. The Bio class was fantastic; the Chem at this high school is not so great. I'm wondering if something like AP Chem w/ ChemAdvantage would be good here? I hear really good things about it...? How do the labs work w/ that course?

AP US History - her high school does US Hist over 2 years; if one does AP they end up overlapping a bit. Dd says I teach History (and English) better than at school - from what I've seen, she may be right. I'm thinking maybe I could use the FundaFunda syllabus a wonderful mom here made and shared...

Spanish - she needs AP Spanish - where's the best place to go for that?

Computer Science - AP level; I'm thinking maybe I could sign her up at MIT; they offer AP classes to high schoolers once a week on the weekend, and only $250. Or she says maybe she doesn't want to take classes all weekend (she'll already be at German school on Sat. mornings) - is there a really good online option? But then almost all her classes would be online...

Elective???

12th

AP English - w/ PA Homeschoolers or ??? other recommendation?

Calculus - I'm thinking maybe at the CC? (guess I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around her teaching herself calc...)

Physics - Calc-based, I'm thinking also at the CC?

Computer Science - the school has one more class after AP called Data Structures w/ Java - what could she do here? The CC offers a Java class, but I'm not sure what level it's at.

Then I'm stumped... foreign language is "done" - she'll have 2 APs in those by then. I guess she could do an internship or design her own electives?? Anything "missing"?

I will have an 8th grader at home as well, and much of what she's doing will be beyond me, hence so much outsourcing... ouch the $$; have to say it's nice the high school is free...!

I think you need someone like Gwen in VA (I think that's right) who has worked with a very heavy AP load.

I was curious about taking a "Pre AP" course in English as a junior until I saw the workload, otherwise I would recommend doing the AP English Language earlier than senior year because the skills learned are helpful with writing in other AP level courses. When the time comes for that class, I can't recommend PA Homeschoolers enough. Ds is working harder than he ever has before, but loves the class and holds both his teacher and fellow classmates in high regard.

For your language courses, will your dd be covering literature as well?

Maybe check with Kathy in Richmond with regards to the calculus? Jane in NC? Jann in TX?

Either AP Biology or Chemistry would be a viable option for junior year if she is doing a calc.-based Physics course her senior year.

Your dds sound like very bright and motivated young ladies and you are a great mom for helping all the pieces fall into place.

My ds has two AP courses this year and one honors-level science course and both of our heads are likely to explode - and I even outsource the math and Spanish.

So what are all the courses she will have had by the end of this year?

Does your state have any requirements for homeschooled high schoolers?

What are the requirements of colleges she's interested in? You need to make sure she would have the correct number and typed of classes on her transcript.

I vote for AP English Language for junior year as well. The writing involved with that class will help in all classes going forward. Here AP Lang junior year and AP Lit senior year is a very common pathway for the top students, not for the college credit (because most places will take one or the other) but to show rigor and to challenge the students.

Have you considered a social science like psychology or economics for senior year, AP or otherwise?

Hi Lisa! I can't quote because of site bugginess, but I'll try to make this reply cogent. :)

Is your ds also 10th this year? What APs is he taking, and are they both with PA homeschoolers? My dds aren't taking any AP classes this year (10th), but will be taking the AP German test this spring - their German school is prepping them for that. I am actually wondering if I should hold off one more year for the introverted dd, who will be going to Germany this summer, but that's another thread. :)

I was pondering the Pre-AP class because it's all writing, but I don't think Lit Analysis. Dd is very good at English - loves reading, has great vocab and grammar, scores very high on standardized tests. But she hates the Lit Analysis portion - she's a programmer type and thinks very black-and-white. She'd argue that she doesn't want to take AP English at all, but I think she could pull it off well. A year of respite from having to analyze everything she has to read could be good. But I actually know nothing about the AP English Language course - what does that cover? Maybe that would be a good thing? Our ps doesn't offer it.

What are you going to do with your ds with science going forward? I know you're doing Chem at home this year. I'm so intimidated by the labs - I outsourced those (or did coops for them) even in elementary. How do these online classes handle them?

Where are you outsourcing Spanish - are you happy, and do they have AP level?

I'm worried about the head-exploding part you mention! Having them school is downright relaxing! There is a ton of homework, though - even our very academically minded exchange student has mentioned it. She feels like in Germany there is less homework but they learn more.

There's also the younger dd at home who is bright but not so motivated (she'd *love* it if her sister came home, she'd downright lonely by herself, which is why she tried school last year). I wouldn't even be considering this at all, but this dd15 is very sweet and doesn't ask for much and I did tell them when they went to high school that they could come home again if they really, really wanted to. But I want to make sure I don't do myself in.

Hi Luckymama, just noticed your response, as I think you were posting while I was responding to Lisa. I'm going to try quoting manually...

So what are all the courses she will have had by the end of this year?

8th (at home):

English: LLfLotR, LAoW, WriteGuide, WWtW, Book Club

Math: Foerster's Algebra I

History: Middle Ages through Enlightenment w/ K12HO

Science: CPO Physics: A First Course

Spanish: BTB 3

9th (at ps):

English H

Geometry H

World History H

Biology H

Spanish 3H (decided to give her an easy class :)

Intro Programming H

Health (required)

10th:

English H

Algebra II H

Chemsitry H

US History I H

Spanish 4H

Java Programming H

3D Modeling/Design (1/2 yr)

Does your state have any requirements for homeschooled high schoolers?

In what way? Technically I don't have to report after 16yo, but I probably still would. If this happened I kind of hope that she'd maybe be able to continue some of her after-school activities (Robotics, A capella singing group), and I think reporting would be necessary for that. Supposedly the state U requires a GED from homeschooled students, but I have a friend whose ds just got in to their honors program and apparently they never asked...

What are the requirements of colleges she's interested in? You need to make sure she would have the correct number and type of classes on her transcript.

The plan would be for her to have courses to get in anywhere. She'll have 4yrs each of English, Math & Science, 2 foreign languages through AP, only 3 yrs social studies planned unless she decides to take an elective sr. year, and 4 yrs computer science.

She'd like to go to some kind of engineering school. She doesn't know many names yet; I'm planning on getting her some books like "Colleges that Changes Lives" so she can get a better idea what's out there (any other suggestions)? She'd love to go to WPI because it's close to home and she's been there (summer program in Engineering Software), but it'll also depend on what we end up being able to afford... she'd probably also love to go to MIT (same reasons), but that's probably true of most kids in her classes, so not banking on that one ;).

I vote for AP English Language for junior year as well. The writing involved with that class will help in all classes going forward. Here AP Lang junior year and AP Lit senior year is a very common pathway for the top students, not for the college credit (because most places will take one or the other) but to show rigor and to challenge the students.

I've never heard of a high school that even offered this. Must be regional. Our school doesn't offer as many selections as it seems some do, but what they offer they do well. Over 92% of kids who take an AP test (and the test is required of anyone who takes the AP course) get a 3-5.

Have you considered a social science like psychology or economics for senior year, AP or otherwise?

I was going to suggest to her to take 1/2 yr. Econ and 1/2 yr. Personal Finance her senior year if she stays school, but I'm not sure those would be her choices. I don't think she'd like Psych, it's the black-and-white thinking again. :)

I also think that AP English Language and Composition would be a good choice for 11th grade.  My 11th grader, who would rather have a root canal than analyze literature, is taking the class with PAH this year, and it is going very well.

I think AP Chemistry with ChemAdvantage would be another excellent choice for next year, especially since your daughter is studying high school level chemistry this year.  ChemAdvantage prepared my oldest extremely well for the AP exam, and I plan on having my younger kids take that class in high school.

Since your daughter is interested in computer programming, I would have her take an additional discrete math class as an elective.  She could take both Number Theory and Counting & Probability (for a combined 1 credit) with the Art of Problem Solving.  Another option would be to take a math class with eIMACS.  I don't have any first-hand experience with the math program at eIMACS yet, but I plan on having my current 9th grader take them in 11th and 12th grade.

eIMACS also offers a three course computer science sequence.  My 11th and 9th graders are both taking these classes.  They are excellent.

HtHs a little

Discrete math is a great elective for CS, and the AOPS courses being neatly divided into semester courses make it very easy to do half a credit per year.

The IMACS logic courses would also be very suited towards the type of math CS needs to do.

Thanks for all the great feedback!

So, I've been off researching the AP Eng. Language course, and I have another question. The College Board overview of the AP English courses has this to say:

The AP English Development Committees therefore offer parallel exams: one in Language and Composition and one in Literature and Composition

The committees intend them both to be of equal rigor in keeping with the standards of quality of the AP Program, and they recommend that students taking either course or exam receive similar treatment by the college granting credit or exemption or both

So, even though it seems like a lot of kids take AP Lang in 11th followed by AP Lit in 12th, it seems like that wasn't the original intent. Would it be looked down upon somehow if she *just* took the AP Lang in 12th, and we did my original English plan in 11th (the Pre-AP class or WriteGuide across the curriculum)? That would make her sooooo happy. It's not the writing or grammar or vocab she objects to, it's specifically Lit Analysis, which she finds contrived and "made up". This would allow her to show her strengths in English without having to deal with the Lit Analysis portion. Or would that be looked at askance, since so many take it in 11th followed by the other in 12th.

Thanks also for the recommendation of Discrete Math... I'll look into that as well.

Still wondering how labs are done with an online class like ChemAdvantage...? Does sound like a great course - I've only heard great reviews.

Do you think I should just make her take Econ senior year (either at home or school)?

How often do PA Homeschool classes or ChemAdvantage meet for live classes?

Fwiw, my son is taking AP English Language & Composition his junior year so he will have the AP score to report on his college applications.  He will be taking a "homebrewed" English class his senior year as there is no way I could convince him to take the AP English Literature class.

The AP Chemistry class, unless it has changed in the last couple of years, does not have a "live" class lecture.  I purchased my son the required chemistry kit, and he completed the labs at our kitchen table.

The AP English Language class my son is taking through PAH meets once a week for an online lecture.  Attendance to the lecture is not mandatory, and the lecture is recorded for students who are unable to attend.

Fwiw, my son is taking AP English Language & Composition his junior year so he will have the AP score to report on his college applications. He will be taking a "homebrewed" English class his senior year as there is no way I could convince him to take the AP English Literature class.

Hm. It makes some sense to have it jr. year for the college apps, but she'd have sooo many APs in one year then - it would be English, Spanish, US Hist, Chem, and CompSci. That's 5 APs! And I'm not sure then what she'd do senior year for English?

The AP Chemistry class, unless it has changed in the last couple of years, does not have a "live" class lecture. I purchased my son the required chemistry kit, and he completed the labs at our kitchen table.

So it's just read the text, do the labs, and have access to online discussions and teacher support as requested? How did your son find the labs - did he do them pretty much on his own?

So it's just read the text, do the labs, and have access to online discussions and teacher support as requested? How did your son find the labs - did he do them pretty much on his own?

In addition to what you have mentioned above, the instructor provided a weekly outline, and the students had assigned homework in an online system called WebAssign.  The instructions for labs were extremely easy to follow.  My son did them on his own.  Some of the labs were more time consuming than others, and  my son did them on the weekends. I don't remember how many labs he did, but I know he did not work on one every weekend.

Not sure how far the Saturday German school goes. Would a German language certificate be an option? These are administered In the US through Goethe Institute. GI also has online studies programs. The certificate tests range from beginner tests (including youth versions) to pre University language competency tests (similar to TOEFL).

Not sure how far the Saturday German school goes. Would a German language certificate be an option? These are administered In the US through Goethe Institute. GI also has online studies programs. The certificate tests range from beginner tests (including youth versions) to pre University language competency tests (similar to TOEFL).

The exams I mentioned in a PP are those exams... (ETA.. or was that another thread? Anyhow, the school will give them the Deutschesprachdiplom 1 & 2 over the next 2 yrs.). The 2nd level exempts them from additional language testing if they wanted to attend a German Uni. US schools don't tend to have any clue what they mean, which is why the school recommends taking the AP for good measure.

I also think that AP English Language and Composition would be a good choice for 11th grade. My 11th grader, who would rather have a root canal than analyze literature, is taking the class with PAH this year, and it is going very well.

For those of you whose kids aretaking AP Lang w/ PAhsers this year... which teacher do they have? I just looked @ the syllabi for the 3 different teachers, and they are soooo different from each other! How did you pick & are your students happy with their choice ?