Menu

Henle Tests and Quizzes

My kids are studying Henle Latin through Classical Conversations' Challenge program.  I am wanting to give them my own quizzes/tests at home.  There are several options out there to purchase and I wanted to get some feedback on their use.  If you've used them could you comment?  Thanks!

Memoria Press First Year Latin Quizzes and Tests

MODG Latin 1 Syllabus

OLV Progress Tests

Seton Latin 1 tests with partial key

I mainly want to use them so I can gauge how effective their current study habits are.

For beginning students, I like the Memoria Press First Year Latin Quizzes and Tests.  The quizzes are nice and short, and cover the high points very well.  I like that they ask questions on grammar.  Keep in mind of course that the pace that CC follows will be different than Memoria Press does.  One week of CC Latin does not equal one week of Memoria Press Latin.  I think that there are samples on the Memoria Press website, if I remember correctly.

For more advanced students, the MODG Syllabi have good sentences to translate, but have a lot of declining/conjugating which I felt was not the point for more advanced students.  They also have matching exercises for vocabulary, and I'm not a fan of matching exercises although they're easy to write and grade.  I'd rather see fill-in-the blank for vocabulary, and more translation for advanced students, but I used the MODG materials as a baseline and then did my own.

I'm not familiar with the OLV and Seton tests.

I am not familiar with the speed at which CC moves through the book. We have used the first MP which equals roughly 1/4 of the first year text. We liked it alot. We switched to the MODG with each book equaling half the first book and love it. Both are great programs. I would pick the one that allows you to do a quiz weekly or close to weekly.

• 2 weeks later...