Menu

Runners: it is getting chilly outside...

Mommyfaithe

It depends on how cold it is.  It was around 40 degrees yesterday and I wore a headband to cover my ears, and a jacket, and I pulled my long sleeves down over my hands for a little while.  I wore capri running pants though.  And I saw a neighbor out in shorts and a t-shirt.  I live in South Dakota.

As it gets colder, I just keep adding layers.  I will wear long pants, but I don't have any fancy extra warm pants, and unless the temp. is in the teens, I'm just fine.  I will always wear a long sleeve shirt under a jacket - just a light weight jacket in the 40's, then a better jacket as it gets colder - I have a water proof, wind resistant, fleece lined jacket that I will wear until the temps are in the 20's.  Then I may move up to a real coat, or I may add another fleece jacket or hoodie under.  

The key to staying warm while running in cold weather is really the accessories - where I live it's not the cold that gets you, it's the WIND!!!  I really like a fleece headband for most weather,  and I will add a fleece hat (with the headband under) for when it's really windy or in the 20's.  Good gloves or mittens are a must.  I wear just the regular stretchy cheep-o gloves most of the time, but when temps are in the 20s/teens I have to wear something much warmer.  I have had problems staying warm even in ski gloves.  I prefer a really nice mitten.  I also wear a neck "gator" when it's windy or really cold (it's amazing what you can get used to.  At the beginning of the season 30's seem really cold, but as the winter wears on, 30's are nice and warm!)  I'm not sure if "gator" the real name for it, but it's just a circle of fleece that I wear around my neck.  I will pull it up over my mouth and nose if it is really cold, but once I warm up, I don't generally keep it up over my face.  A regular scarf just does't stay put.

I don't generally take off layers as I'm going.  I do sometimes take off my hat (leaving the headband on) or take off my gloves.  I don't like to take off a sweatshirt while I'm running... 

The schools here let kids play out at recess unless temps are below zero. I try to keep that rule for running for myself, but I find I have a hard time breathing in the single digits.  I'm okay to walk, but running in the single digits hurts my nose, throat and lungs.

I love being outside. Running on a treadmill just isn't the same.  I can't wait to read the other tips!