Menu

How do you "do" Singapore Math?

I'm wondering if we are going too fast. I do pull from Challenging Word Problems of the same level some (but we do not do ALL the problems therein) and much less from Intensive Practice (though I've decided to delay this by at least one semester, i.e. do 4A's Intensive Practice when we do 4B, at the earliest).

With all that, it seems we will make it through 4A in about 2 months. We do place an emphasis on math and, this being our first semester homeschooling, we are not doing many other subjects (or if we are, they only get half the time each that math gets).

I should also mention that here is not accelerated: he is a 4th grader doing 4A right now. But with my "doing the next thing once you find decent curriculum" approach, it seems we will have to accelerate by default.

Many thanks.

Which components are you using? You mentioned doing some of the CWP and IP, but are you also using the textbook and the workbook?

Ah, sorry I see now that I was not clear. We are using the textbook, the workbook, and the Instructor's guide. I do throw in an end-of-unit test (not each component, just the larger units). The most well-worn book by far is the workbook. I'd say we do 95% of the problems therein, skipping some drill ones.

If he's understanding and retaining everthing, you're not going too fast; he may be in fifth-grade math by January. Or you may hit something that's harder for him and see a need to slow down. If he can do everything from three and four chapters ago, carry on. But if he isn't solid on it, you could consider supplementing with a second curriculum to slow down to the more typical two- to three-books-a-year pace.

He is also making his way through the Beast Academy stuff, but he is just wrapping up 3C at this point. I have thought of printing certain MEP pages to help reinforce.

I'm sure everyone has a different approach. We have the HIG, the textbook, the workbook, IP, and CWP. We do all of it. (Or at least we did the past three years). I tried skipping the workbook the first 6 weeks of is year, and only doing IP after the text, but I wasn't thrilled with the results. It took them too long to get through and with more struggle than I liked. But when I handed them the first 60 pages of the workbook, what a breeze. They whipped through it. So we will go back to text and workbook together for the practice of the basics, and then IP. CWP is for Christmas vacation and summer, or after we finish the a/b books for the year. I don't like them skipping any IP or CWP; that's when they really get to think and apply the math they've learned, imo.

I'm sure everyone has a different approach. We have the HIG, the textbook, the workbook, IP, and CWP. We do all of it. (Or at least we did the past three years). I tried skipping the workbook the first 6 weeks of is year, and only doing IP after the text, but I wasn't thrilled with the results. It took them too long to get through and with more struggle than I liked. But when I handed them the first 60 pages of the workbook, what a breeze. They whipped through it. So we will go back to text and workbook together for the practice of the basics, and then IP. CWP is for Christmas vacation and summer, or after we finish the a/b books for the year. I don't like them skipping any IP or CWP; that's when they really get to think and apply the math they've learned, imo.

Interesting, so you do the textbook and workbook first, and only after theyare done do you do IP and CWP before starting the next level?

We use the textbook, workbook, and CWP. Dd does one exercise of the workbook per day, going over the material in the textbook with me first as needed (seems to be a lot of review for her at the beginning of 5A, so I haven't had to cover too much with her yet). When we finish a chapter, we do the CWP for that topic for a week or so, usually a 2-page spread per day. This year we're also doing a unit of LOF Fractions after CWP, but before going on to the next chapter in Singapore. This schedule will make 5A last the first semester and 5B last the second semester which has always been an appropriate speed for my kids. They also do some work in Horizons each day for continual review.

Interesting, so you do the textbook and workbook first, and only after theyare done do you do IP and CWP before starting the next level?

We do the CWP after we are done the entire level. The IP is usually started midway through. I've just found they are easier to do once we have the concepts and practice cemented for awhile. Then we need to work with the application, not the arithmetic/concept. Plus we run out of time to get it all done otherwise too!

First year with singapore too, so far the best process that works with us is to:

a) let child read section of text, then go over concept with them in front of a white board and a few made up problems

b) If there are any concerns about their grasping the concept, use khan academy videos

c) follow up with workbook

d) two times/week let them do a sample test from the dedicated test book

e) once/week do math sprints

f) The intensive math and word problem books are great and wonderful for forcing creative thinking and real effort, however  I'm just having trouble figuring out where and how often to use them....we have a full schedule as is.