Menu

Sound Literacy app vs Logic of English app

happyhappyjoyjoy

Sound literacy is just tiles.  No sounds.  You should check out Word Wizard to use with AAS instead as it is only $3.  It's a less expensive alternative and it has tiles & sounds.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/word-wizard-talking-movable/id447312716?mt=8

That looks really good!!!  Does it have any of the phonics/spelling rules?  Thanks

PS.  Not trying to highjack this post!

I have the LOE app and I really like it.  It is pretty boring, just a multiple choice game where the lady asks you which tile says "sh" and you click on "sh."  However, it is pretty well done and very effective.  We use OPGTR and just started AAS, but my dd5 and dd3 already know lots of their phonograms just by me locking them in that game on the iPad (using guided access) every now and then.  It does have the ability to see all the phonograms and click on them to hear what they say.  It was worth it for us.

I have the LOE app and I really like it.  It is pretty boring, just a multiple choice game where the lady asks you which tile says "sh" and you click on "sh."  However, it is pretty well done and very effective.  We use OPGTR and just started AAS, but my dd5 and dd3 already know lots of their phonograms just by me locking them in that game on the iPad (using guided access) every now and then.  It does have the ability to see all the phonograms and click on them to hear what they say.  It was worth it for us.

Thank you.  It seems to be only on ipad/ipod etc....  I am to the point where I might by an ipod just to have a good phonogram app. :)

Thank you!!  I'm glad I bought it this afternoon, I can't wait to play with it next week and i've got to read that post about locking the kids in an app..

Oh, and you can also set up different "profiles" so that different kids can work on different phonograms (dd3 is working on the alphabet, dd5 is doing more complicated ones).  They have pre-set levels that the child can work through, but you can also make custom levels for whatever phonograms you want.  Right now, my dd5 is in the long-a section of OPGTR (phonograms ai, ay, ea, etc.).  I set up all of the upcoming long-a phonograms in a list and make her play through it before she is allowed to play any of her other games on the iPad.  We are cruising through the OPGTR sections, and I'm giving this simple app credit for that.  There have been several times when we have been doing her reading lesson and she picks the wrong sound for a letter when sounding out a word.  Just by asking her what sounds that letter makes, she can correct herself and tell me the word very quickly.  Is the app boring, yes, but it does the boring work for me.  If it weren't for the app, I'd be stuck doing these by flashcard. :)

Oh, and you can also set up different "profiles" so that different kids can work on different phonograms (dd3 is working on the alphabet, dd5 is doing more complicated ones). They have pre-set levels that the child can work through, but you can also make custom levels for whatever phonograms you want. Right now, my dd5 is in the long-a section of OPGTR (phonograms ai, ay, ea, etc.). I set up all of the upcoming long-a phonograms in a list and make her play through it before she is allowed to play any of her other games on the iPad. We are cruising through the OPGTR sections, and I'm giving this simple app credit for that. There have been several times when we have been doing her reading lesson and she picks the wrong sound for a letter when sounding out a word. Just by asking her what sounds that letter makes, she can correct herself and tell me the word very quickly. Is the app boring, yes, but it does the boring work for me. If it weren't for the app, I'd be stuck doing these by flashcard. :)

Thank you, now I'm really glad I bought it!!

• 2 weeks later...