Menu

Coconut Cake Recipe

AmandaVT

Anyone have a great coconut cake recipe they'd be willing to share? My aunt's birthday is this weekend and she's coming to visit. We're going out to dinner, but I'd love to make her a birthday coconut cake to have after dinner. I've made lots of cakes before but never a coconut one for some reason - it's one of my favorites too. 

Ideally it'd be for a 1 layer cake, but I can always just halve the recipe if it's a 2 layer one. She's a purist too - no raspberry filling or anything like that. :-)

Will a coconut pound cake do? This one is tried and true and a family favorite here. It is dense and moist and just yummy. Read the reviews if you make it, as the baking time seems to be a bit off in the recipe. I can't recall how long I cook it -- I usually just check it until it is fully set.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/reviews/Coconut-Cake-103687

Alton Brown's is supposed to be good (use bagged or frozen coconut to save time). Barefoot Contessa may have one as well. I wish I had my mother's second husband's mother's recipe. It was amazing!

Do you mean one 8" round cake layer? Or one 13x9 cake? I've never seen a recipe for one round layer. The classic Southern coconut cakes are 3 layers.

This is what I would make:

http://www.food.com/recipe/paula-deens-jamies-coconut-cake-159040

Classic Southern style with cooked frosting, filling, and straightforward instructions. :) I wish my DS didn't hate coconut! I'll have to try one sometime when I'm making multiple desserts.

Is it bad that I want to make all of these recipes just to compare and contrast? :-) Thank you! I have some recipe reading to do tonight. I was going to use Alton's before I even posted my question because I trust him in all things food related, but then I saw it started with "buy a coconut" and got a little overwhelmed. :-) At least he didn't tell me to shimmy up a palm tree...

• 2 weeks later...