Menu

How does MCT fit with WWS?

Essay Voyage is a nice complement to WWS, in that it gives you a big picture, whole to parts vision of essay writing, whereas WWS just gets right down to the nitty gritty of learning the pieces of writing that will eventually be put together into an essay.  People characterize WWS as parts-to-whole, and EV is definitely more whole-to-parts.

We didn't do the writing assignments in EV.  There were already enough arbitrary topics assigned in WWS, it would have been too much to do both! And the instruction about how exactly to do the assignment is not really there in EV - it's more like, i.e. "here is why you shouldn't be too wordy, you should avoid cliche, and you should use a formal academic tone in your writing.  Now go write an essay on Augustus Caesar!"

I really like the sample classical essays in EV.  And I liked the sample essays MCT writes to illustrate each lesson's point.  The Apple is Ridiculous has become a family favorite around here!  

I can see referring back to principles in EV over and over.  I can see assigning meaningful topics from history or lit, and saying, "Ok, for today's assignment, I want you to focus on the principle in EV Lesson 5" or whatever.  So using it in a nonlinear way as a reminder & reference.

IMO, both EV and WWS do a bad job teaching students how to use direct quotations.  EV teaches the use of long block quotes with very little commentary, including ending paragraphs with the quote.  WWS, in the examples in the Research section, quotes all kinds of trivial things that would better be paraphrased, perhaps just as a lesson in how to use quotes, but it creates the impression that those are the kinds of things that should be directly quoted, which is not right.  Just something to be aware of as you get to those sections.

ETA: one way to use both together is to do an EV lesson between sections of WWS, or whenever your dc needs a break from the somewhat relentless pace of WWS.

• 1 year later...

My son is working through WWS1 right now, and I've been wondering how to bring in the MCT that I have and love.  I am bumping this thread up in case other people are also trying to combine the two.

My plan right now is to do MCT Voyage after finishing WWS1, and then picking up WWS2 the following year.  

Would it be too much to do MCT Voyage and also the one semester course of Hewitt Speech, both in one year?

With Ruth's Help (aka lewla...? forgot the rest) I was able to take out the important points in WWS 1 and use some examples from WWS 1 to practice the topos or have ds think up a topic to write about for practice.  I made WWS lessons more whole to parts and I am starting to like this program.

We did MCT Town  last year but I felt I needed something different before we jumped into Grammar Voyage.  After trying CAP and Treasured Conversation I settled with WWS 1.  WWS 1 is more appropriate for ds and I was happy that I had the hand holding I needed to teach this writing.  He is learning how to write many paragraphs for a topic with out jumping into essays.  I think Ruth should write a whole-to-parts for WWS (lol).  I guess she sort of did, because that's what I am using.

So, next year, it will be MCT Voyage series with WWS 2.  I haven't made any explicit plans, yet, how that will look.