Menu

Martial Arts lessons online free?

morganvicky98

How can I learn martial arts online for free? I saw there are series on ehow, but I'm looking for something that will help me despite my ineptitude. AND I know there is no replacing the real thing, but I have no money right now, and I just want to experiment a bit, for fun, and then maybe take it to the real thing. And yes, I want to get it right so that just in case I do eventually take lessons, I don't have to unlearn everything I learned.

I would say no.  You really need a trained instructor to teach these things or you can/will end up injured.  The instructor of any martial art will teach you correct stance and posture, how to kick and hit without breaking your own bones, how to take a hit, how to take a fall etc. You can't learn that properly online.  That would be like taking ballet online.  Yes you may look like you are doing the steps but it doesn't mean your form is right.  Martial arts lessons are only about $30 a month, it is worth the $30 to make sure you are learning it correctly and safely.

Well, I can respond from a taekwondo standpoint. Part of becoming a black belt in taekwondo is learning to teach. As students move to advanced belts, some of their training includes teaching lower belts a variety of skills. This teaching is not compensated monetarily. It is just part of our training.

I would suggest stopping in at a few local martial arts dojangs, watching how class is conducted, and talking with the head sensei about the possibility of taking a few lessons from a student who is preparing for their black belt test.

I will be testing soon for my 2nd degree black belt in taekwondo and teaching has been a huge part of my preparation since my initial black belt test. Teaching really solidifies these skills in your mind - it is one thing to be able to do a skill - it is another thing to be able to clearly break it down into steps that a beginner understands and can execute properly.

A sensei might appreciate having a novice for their student to work with who is not affiliated with the school (i.e. isn't familiar with the school's protocols). It would give the student teacher a real test of teaching ability. I would expect that reputable dojangs would provide a couple of lessons like this for free. If a dojang wants you to sign up without a free lesson or without telling you the entire cost structure for lessons - run the other way. Maybe try out a free lesson at a few different places. The culture of dojangs even within the same martial art can be varied, depending on the head sensei's teaching philosophy.

Another idea is to find someone you know who participates in the martial art you are most interested in...if you have such a friend, would they be willing to show you what they know? This would presume they are not a novice, but at least at intermediate level. Not the ideal, but maybe a possibility...

Hands-on, in-person experience is going to be the best way to really get a feel for the martial arts if you are a novice.

If you are just looking for the exercise portion of it...maybe look into kickboxing or other similar dvds that you can do at home for minimal investment.

Hope that helps!

Well, I can respond from a taekwondo standpoint. Part of becoming a black belt in taekwondo is learning to teach. As students move to advanced belts, some of their training includes teaching lower belts a variety of skills. This teaching is not compensated monetarily. It is just part of our training.

I would suggest stopping in at a few local martial arts dojangs, watching how class is conducted, and talking with the head sensei about the possibility of taking a few lessons from a student who is preparing for their black belt test.

I will be testing soon for my 2nd degree black belt in taekwondo and teaching has been a huge part of my preparation since my initial black belt test. Teaching really solidifies these skills in your mind - it is one thing to be able to do a skill - it is another thing to be able to clearly break it down into steps that a beginner understands and can execute properly.

A sensei might appreciate having a novice for their student to work with who is not affiliated with the school (i.e. isn't familiar with the school's protocols). It would give the student teacher a real test of teaching ability. I would expect that reputable dojangs would provide a couple of lessons like this for free. If a dojang wants you to sign up without a free lesson or without telling you the entire cost structure for lessons - run the other way. Maybe try out a free lesson at a few different places. The culture of dojangs even within the same martial art can be varied, depending on the head sensei's teaching philosophy.

Another idea is to find someone you know who participates in the martial art you are most interested in...if you have such a friend, would they be willing to show you what they know? This would presume they are not a novice, but at least at intermediate level. Not the ideal, but maybe a possibility...

Hands-on, in-person experience is going to be the best way to really get a feel for the martial arts if you are a novice.

If you are just looking for the exercise portion of it...maybe look into kickboxing or other similar dvds that you can do at home for minimal investment.

Hope that helps!

Thank you for the advice! :)

The head of our academy has a saying that Practice doesn't make Perfect ... Perfect Practice makes Perfect.  Bad practice makes bad habits.  I definitely second Tampamom's idea.  Many schools near us even have deals with a month of lessons and a uniform free, and I know of people who have studio jumped a bit to get a few months of lessons that way -- they didn't advance, but they did gain some defense skills, and more importantly, confidence, that helped them in the situations they were in.

You might check out your local YMCA.  If you live in a moderately big city (50,000 or more), chances are the Y has a decent martial arts program (Usually at least Tae Kwon Do or Karate, if not more) where classes are either included or are a very small additional fee.  There's also typically free daycare while you work out (though the quality of that varies so much by the employee that I've got friends who will go to the Y in the morning but not the evening).