Menu

cle math

mom2vikha

Hi Ladies,

Thanks for being there for me always. I am trying to switch from math mammoth to cle. My daughter is 7 year old and has completed MM 3b. I realize as she goes to higher grades and since she is on a younger side, she need spiral. How long does it take to finish a cle math lesson? does it need supplementing? is it conceptual? Can she move to cle 400 from math mammoth? is it good at mental math? How are the kids prepared for pre-algebra? How is the SAT scores?

thousand questions running in my mind. And most important I afterschool. She is already in a very good private school and with good math curriculum and she says she is bored. I want to challenge her at home atleast.  She does cle LA and is loving it. Does cle math takes more than 30-45 mins math?

Please do chime in for me ladies.

It usually takes Rebecca about 45 minutes for a CLE lesson.  I also do Singapore's Challenging Word Problems a year back, but CLE is a very solid and thorough program.  She should definitely be able to go right to CLE 400, but there are placement tests for free on their website, so I would do that.  No idea on SAT scores or pre-algebra prep, but I have given Rebecca a couple of practice tests and placement tests and she always does well.  She also does Hands On Equations and has for 2 years, so I would say that she should be fine for pre-algebra.

CLE has a placement test. Start with the Level 300 test. (Page vii has the placement instructions.) If she rocks on that one, give her the Level 400 test. If she rocks on that one, you can try the Level 500 one (with this group of placement tests). You can certainly just spend 30-45 minutes per day on the lessons. My oldest found that how long it took to complete one lesson varied from day to day. 

I can't comment on most of the other questions.

We only used CLE for 1st grade, so take this with a grain of salt. :)

I started my young but advanced DD on CLE in her first grade year. She had already been introduced to adding/subtracting, etc. I might add that *I* loved CLE. It just clicked with me. But it did not with her. Halfway through the 100 level, we had to stop using it. It is steeply spiral, and the amount of work was overwhelming for her. It was taking us over an hour to complete each lesson. She also hated having to do 5 or 6 different things (time, money, adding, subtracting, word problems, number lines, speed drills, etc.) in every lesson. It was just too much. She was not even able to retain basic math facts because there was so much bouncing around in her head.

We switched from that to Math Mammoth and have finally found our sweet spot. Now she likes math again.

All that said, if your daughter is a spiral learner, CLE could be perfect. It is a solid program. It is not as conceptual in its approach as Singapore or Math Mammoth, though. More of an algorithm, memorization approach (which some kids also thrive with). I cannot speak to test scores as we did not deal with that.

Good luck to you! Hope you can find what works for your daughter soon! :)

Hi Ladies,

Thanks for being there for me always. I am trying to switch from math mammoth to cle. My daughter is 7 year old and has completed MM 3b. I realize as she goes to higher grades and since she is on a younger side, she need spiral. How long does it take to finish a cle math lesson?

3rd grade takes us about 30 min. 5th grade about 45 min.

does it need supplementing?

No, it is very thorough. Most people don't supplement because their program needs supplementing. I do supplement, but it is for reasons other than "need".

is it conceptual?

This has been asked a lot over the years. I have gone back and forth. After comparing MM 4-6 to CLE 4-6, I would say no.

Can she move to cle 400 from math mammoth?

I highly doubt it. Check out the placement test

is it good at mental math?

Meh. Okay, I would say.

How are the kids prepared for pre-algebra?

A child who completed CLE 6 should be very well prepared for pre-algebra. Personally, I would want the pre-a program to pick up some conceptual loose ends that may be there.

How is the SAT scores?

No clue, but my dd (who used CLE 1-5) tests very well on the CAT.