Menu

Critical Thinking Company - Math Reasoning Workbooks

SJ.

Does anyone have experience with the Critical Thinking Company's Math Reasoning Workbooks?  I am thinking about getting Level D for my oldest ds as a supplement to Singapore Math.  Yes, I know it probably isn't necessary but DS hates math and I think it would be nice to have something on hand for a change of pace every now and then.

Thoughts?

Experience?

I have been using them in a way similar to what you describe as a change of pace from MM. They are more visually appealing and have fewer problems on each page, which my son likes, but they don't have the incremental teaching found in MM. I don't think I would want to rely on them alone but like them as a supplement/change of pace.

I'm using it to supplement MM1 for my first grader.  She enjoys the colorful pages, and the change of pace - the book is much more spiral than MM, so she gets to do more than just "another page of basic addition." 

I agree with a PP though - it's a nice complement to other major math curricula, but I wouldn't use it on its own.  There's not enough teaching in it.  Good for solidifying concepts that have already been introduced, though.

I am going to echo the others. We also use it as a supplement. DD went through a phase where she didn't want to do SM, so we used Mathematical Reasoning. I liked the way it made her think, and she liked having lots of color, and fewer questions, but it is not incremental the way most curriculums are. It's a great supplement.

I used them as a primary text for 1st grade, and about half of 2nd. Then we started in with Math-U-See, and I've discovered that it is very useful to alternate between the two. When my kids get stuck in one -- or just bored with it -- we switch to the other for a while. Yes, it means we're going through both very slowly, but I'm convinced they are getting a solid foundation, and we have had no "I can't DO this!" dramas.