Menu

Getting Ready for the Logic Stage (some ???)

Homeschooling6

I'm getting ready to order my 5th grader his Logic Stage Material;). He hasn't done much critical thinking material. I am thinking of starting with Mind Benders Warm-UP. Can you please check this link to make sure I'm ordering the correct one. Than move him onto Mind Benders A1, correct?

I also wanted to try out one of the "A Case of Red Herring: Solving Mysteries Through Critical Thinking Questions" Is this the one that SWB is talking about?

Appreciate any help:001_smile:

1. I would start with Mind Benders A1, since Warm-Up is for K-2. Consider getting the computer CD. My ds likes the game they get to play at the end of each puzzle. Also, there is no erasing, you can use it with additional children, and you can use it over again if you like.

2. I bought A Case of Red Herrings, but it was very difficult to use outside a classroom setting. They gave you clues that usually had a play on words. For example, they would use some common word that had a secondary meaning of some part of a boat. Unless you lived in the NE and had that particular kind of boat, you would never be able to figure out the mystery.

3. For additional logic materials, look at the Perplexor series and Logic Liftoff series by Dandylion Press.

Yes, I'm starting with the warm-up, then moving on to the next level. I think starting from the beginning makes it easier for all to learn to use the grids that will get more complex as you move up to higher levels.

I really didn't like Case of Red Herrings, so I'm not using it again. The one you have selected looks different than the one I used, years ago, but they've probably updated. It sounds like the same sort of thing.

My kids worked through the Mindbenders Beginning books first, and we really liked them. So I bought A1 and A2, thinking they'd last me the next two years.

Well. The Beginning books have 44 activities each, which lasts you a year or more with one a week. The A series and up have only 14 :confused:, even though they cost the exact same price as the earlier books ($9.95)! Zip, we went through A1 and A2 in half a year. I switched to Grid Perplexors by Mindware, which are pretty much the exact same kind of puzzles, and you get 50 puzzles per book for $12.95! Much more bang for the buck.

I might still suggest starting with the Mindbenders A1 and maybe A2 before the Grid Perplexors, or starting with level A of the Grid Perplexors (billed for 8 and 9 yo), because the level B Grid Perplexors (billed for 9 and 10yo) are a bit tougher than Mindbenders A1 and A2 (billed for grades 3-6) and it would probably be good to get used to the format first.

Oh, and Red Herrings - hate that just looking at it. I consider myself a fairly logical person, but those things just make me go, "huh?" They annoy me. I can't imagine torturing my kids with them.