Menu

Need help. Is anyone using MUS Algebra 1(or have used)??

We just started lesson 1 today. We came out of TT Pre-Algebra. In watching the first lesson, it only spoke about associative and communitive properties. What about the rest of lesson 1??? On 1B it asks to simplify the equation?? HUH??? He never spoke about that in Lesson 1 at all????? And there are other things in 1C,1D that she has not learned. If you go to Lesson 2, he then talks about simplifying, then goes right into learning Order of Operations, but again nothing on teaching the new things in lesson 2???? Am I missing something here? Is your child supposed to know that stuff?

She needs a review if they are going to put things in there that he does not speak of.We loved this program in the earlier grades. And we loved the demo tape and the blocks because she "got it". But the student book is all over the place.

I really can't afford another math program. So I am hoping someone tells me I am missing something here.She is only on day 1 and is completely frustrated. My dd asked me "Simplify this? Huh? He never taught this??" and she is disgusted already.

We went away from TT figuring the manipulatives would help her since she struggles so much in Math. She is in 9th grade and did well it pre-algebra last year. But really wanted a kinesthetic program since it makes it easier for her.

Maybe I made a mistake in taking her out of TT.

We need DVD help. I cannot teach Algebra.

Thank you

If your student knows how to associate and commute, they should be able to use those concepts to simplify equations.  Order of operations should have been learned in elementary math.   It is simply Parantheses, exponents, multiplication/division (left to right) and addition/subtraction (left to right.)

So, yes, they should understand these concepts.   

Simplifying equations is really easy.   Don't panic.   It is as simple as factoring out a common factor in something like

10a + 25b = 20   

5(2a) + 5(5b)= 5(4)

divide the entire equation by 5

2a+ 5b=5

The simplifying in 1C is based off of prealgebra lessons.

You just need to have her combine like terms.

If you have 4Q + 2C - 2C - 2Q - 3C, then you combine all the Qs together and then combine all the Cs together like this:

(4Q - 2Q) + (2C - 2C - 3C) and then you add up all the Qs and add up all the Cs

2Q - 3C and that's your final answer.

It's like having a basket that you tossed different colored socks into.

Pretend you tossed in 4 blue socks and 3 red socks and 2 green socks and then took out 2 blue socks and 1 green sock.

How many socks would you have? Well, you'd have 4 - 2 = 2 blue socks and 3 red socks and 2 - 1 = 1 green sock.

The quick reviews in lesson 1 highlight areas that students commonly forget over the summer between prealgebra and algebra I.

Well, now I am not so sure this program will work. I thought that he would be teaching the entire lesson. Meaning, what was in the student pages. Most of the pages seem to be review, and if we have to keep flipping back and forth to go over things I think she might get frustrated. This seems to be set up very differently then the younger grades in MUS. Thanks for the help.

In the high school books, the first two pages are the current lesson, the next 3 are review, then 1 honors page (elementary were 3 new, 3 review no honors).

The first couple of chapters in Algebra do include review teaching boxes on almost every page. It is just to make sure the kids have all the pre-algebra foundation they need. We were frustrated by that when we hit it for the first time too. It doesn't continue like that though. Once they have gone over some pre-algebra review, it goes back to the standard 2 new, 3 review format.

In the high school books, the first two pages are the current lesson, the next 3 are review, then 1 honors page (elementary were 3 new, 3 review no honors).

The first couple of chapters in Algebra do include review teaching boxes on almost every page. It is just to make sure the kids have all the pre-algebra foundation they need. We were frustrated by that when we hit it for the first time too. It doesn't continue like that though. Once they have gone over some pre-algebra review, it goes back to the standard 2 new, 3 review format.

So in lesson 1. Only 1A is the new lesson, and the rest of lesson 1(1B,1C etc) is review?

Ok,because she is frustrated with the review. And I am having a hard time doing the review with her, as I am not good in Math. When we did Pre Algebra, I learned along with her but it was with a teacher. I don't remember how to do certain concepts, and neither does she.

Ok, so this is only for the first few chapters, then the review should pick up what was taught in previous DVD lessons then?

Yes, after the first couple chapters you don't have the constant teaching reviews, but much more like what you remember from the elementary series.

If you need help teaching a concept, remember there is online support at MUS or you can ask here. Be sure to look at the TM too, sometimes there is added explanation that is not on the DVD. Steve tells kids that in the first lesson of all the high school level maths.

I am concerned by your description that your DD is running into concepts in the first lesson that she hasn't learned. It sounds like there may be a gap where TT pre-algebra ends and MUS algebra starts. Please consider having her take the MUS placement test. It may be possible that she needs to start somewhere in MUS pre-algebra.  It is much better to start where the student is than for her to get so frustrated with not understanding.

Also, consider the possibility of finding her a tutor.  A local high school student should be inexpensive. Every math student should have someone they can seek out and ask questions of when they hit a bump.

Best of luck. We've used MUS from K through pre-calculus so far.

We are going to have my son tutor her. There is a gap between the two programs. I am still unsure if we are going to continue with this program. I may get her a different one without a DVD and just have my son work with her. (He is 23 and a banker. Whiz at math). Thanks for the input and help.

I have to agree with Pegasus.  We tried to go from TT pre-algebra to MUS Algebra 1.  It just didn't work.  The programs are too different (IMHO) in scope and sequence.  I'm not saying one program is better than another, so no flames please.  They are just different.  For example, MUS gets into graphing very early in Algebra 1.  MUS is assuming the student is coming out of their pre-algebra program.