Menu

Overwhelmed with math

My girls who are 11 yrs old are using:

Singapore 3B right now

Key to Percents, Algebra and Geometry

One twin is finishing up Key to Decimals 4

Charlotte Mason Business Math (was supposed to be just the summer program but we moved most of the summer)

Things I wanted to add: 

AOPS Prealgebra

Jousting Armadillos

Challenging Word Problems

What can I do to simplify this all?

I really want them to finish the programs that we have started.....

Okay, take a deep breath! You are overwhelmed bc you are all over the place. Why are you adding a Pre-algebra program for girls who are only finishing SM 3B? I think you should put all the time you are putting into so many programs into one program. Maybe you can work double time. The only one I might add is the Singapore Challenging Problems but I would focus on more forward motion at this point.

If you like being all over the place, why not use Horizon's or CLE or Saxon?

Oh, and save the Business Math. If they start a business at this point, help them out.

Okay, take a deep breath! You are overwhelmed bc you are all over the place. Why are you adding a Pre-algebra program for girls who are only finishing SM 3B? I think you should put all the time you are putting into so many programs into one program. Maybe you can work double time. The only one I might add is the Singapore Challenging Problems but I would focus on more forward motion at this point.

:iagree:

I am a little bit lost reading your lists.  On one hand it reads like you might be behind in math, 11yo working on SM 3B, but then you are discussing AoPS.  Maybe I'm missing some history here and you are changing them over to the SM method?  What level are they working at overall in math and for what grade do you consider them to be in?

I'm also a little confused about why you're using different programs, and at such different levels. 

Just going from what you've listed, I would drop everything except Singapore for now. When they finish Singapore 6B (or 5B, if you plan to skip 6), if they needed the extra practice, I would go back and finish off the Key to series. In my experience, these workbooks don't have enough instruction to introduce new concepts, but are great for review. I wouldn't worry about pre-algebra yet. 

You could either save Business Math for next summer, or consider it an elective that doesn't take away from their actual math time.

If they are in Singapore 3 there's no way they're ready for AOPS, and Jousting Armadillos is likely to be over their heads as well. They would be better served by doing fewer programs at a greater speed as they are a bit behind at the moment. They should be working through the summer on their regular program -- not doing an extra.

Pick just one -- Singapore as others suggested if you like it -- and work on that steadily. If they need extra practice on a topic, use the 'key to'.