Menu

Help us think this through...college choice (sorry it's so long)

NCMom

My dd is a senior.  She has sort of narrowed her field of interest down to engineering (not a shock to anyone) either electrical or biomedical. She is also hugely interested in nanotech. She desperately wants to be in the Coast Guard.  She has completely redone her list of colleges in the last month or so, changing to smaller engineering schools, most of which are private and pricey and competitive. 

She has amazing grades, including a year at a highly ranked charter high school (USNews) where she got nothing lower than a 95% all year, 2 SAT II tests, some extra curriculars (not too many because swimming is 4-5 hours per day + commute), has the highest average in her CC classes right now (I'm guessing she will get all A's) and she is a minority. Our EFC is 0. :huh:

Her SATs though above average, are not stellar. On another note, her math and verbal scores are identical and have been on all the SAT/PSAT's she has taken. Weird... The writing part is terrible though and she cannot seem to master the formula, though her writing for school is ok/slightly above average. She will take the ACT in Sept and she is rocking the practice workbooks, but who knows...

She is not looking for the "perfect" school and she fits in anywhere, mostly because she lives in her own world, lol.

Right now her list looks like this 

- 1st choice USCGA, but lets face it, that is a long shot.  She knows someone who did not get in last year who was an amazing candidate, much better stats than she has. And actually she knew several great people last year who did not get into some of their top pick schools last year, people who should have stat wise. 

-Also on the list are 2 small private, Tier 1, engineering colleges that are super pricey and very competitive, 1 school she is interested in but hasn't made contact, they have no real swim team and it's probably out of her league (It's Embry Riddle, if anyone has any thoughts), 1 school she had on her previous list - state uni in a far away state, very little aid given, probably will apply but expect little to come of it, phenomenal swim program where she is a great fit, academically she would be top 25%. These are all subject to price considerations and just getting in.

She also has 1 state school that started as her safety...and therein lies the quandry.  This is a HBCU (and since my name says where we live, you can guess which one), Tier 2, not selective, but it has a 3/2 with the best state engineering college, NC State, and they work with the nanotech peeps at UNCG.  Swim team is not good but is Division I and hey she knows some people there.  She could do the Coast Guard's version of ROTC her last two years to get in to the CG. You can only do that at certain colleges that are minority focused. They have separate housing for focused students and good research opportunities; she fits into the culture the same way she does everywhere else, by simply doing her own thing, lol. It would be totally paid for and it's only 3 hours away...and they want her very badly, badly enough to give her whatever she wants, lol.

But the questions is - will the Tier 2 status make a difference in her career?  In an engineering BS degree, does name matter a lot?  Most in-state people seem to look down at this school. But it is NC, lol, they are all about Chapel Hill here. Ugh. 

Georgia (edited to fix some typos)

Hi, My kids a re smaller, but I wanted to post my experience.

I went to what was not considered a TOP engineering school for several reasons (distance, family, cost(I had full rides, but extra costs add up), etc ,etc). I had other options and many were shocked I did not chose one of them (I'm glad I didn't for mainly family reasons).

It sounds like the school would be a good fit and since she wants to go CG and not private sector right away, I'm not sure that matters as much. Will she take the EIT exam (most seniors did at my university)? Passing that is an "earmark" that she has the skills.

Networking while she is in the program also helps. I ended up being an undergrad asst on a NASA project. I also got summer internships and later job offers from some large firms. So I wouldn't dismiss the Tier 2 school.

Quick ideas just in case that they are helpful.

1. Colleges that offer free fly in fall visits for high achieving minority students. Some require first generation status - many open to medium to high test scores.  http://getmetocollege.org/hs/2013freefallvisits

2. Don't rule out any option because it seems out of reach. High achieving minority women engineering is a hot demand category. She should make contact with Embry-Riddle if she's interested for sure. They have a 78% admit rate, middle 50% SAT score is in the 500s so not at all unreasonable for admissions.

3. With a 0 EFC it may actually be less expensive for her to go to a top tier private if she can get in. Look at colleges that fully meet financial need.

4. With the 3/2 program. Look carefully at the requirements - is it a guaranteed admit or are there are reserved number of spots. What are the financial implications of an extra year.

I have no idea what a HBCU is. But I am somewhat familiar with the smaller schools in the NC system and there are some that might be fine, but others not so much no matter what they share with NCSU. If you want PM me the actual school name. 

HBCU = Historical Black Colleges and Universities  and I will pm you the name.

Thanks!

Georgia

Hi, My kids a re smaller, but I wanted to post my experience.

I went to what was not considered a TOP engineering school for several reasons (distance, family, cost(I had full rides, but extra costs add up), etc ,etc). I had other options and many were shocked I did not chose one of them (I'm glad I didn't for mainly family reasons).

It sounds like the school would be a good fit and since she wants to go CG and not private sector right away, I'm not sure that matters as much. Will she take the EIT exam (most seniors did at my university)? Passing that is an "earmark" that she has the skills.

Networking while she is in the program also helps. I ended up being an undergrad asst on a NASA project. I also got summer internships and later job offers from some large firms. So I wouldn't dismiss the Tier 2 school.

I have no idea about the EIT.  But yes to the internships - she knows that is the way to go and most of the schools on her list have  lot of info about the internship opportunities that exist. I'm glad you are a success story!

Thanks!

Georgia

Quick ideas just in case that they are helpful.

1. Colleges that offer free fly in fall visits for high achieving minority students. Some require first generation status - many open to medium to high test scores.  http://getmetocollege.org/hs/2013freefallvisits

2. Don't rule out any option because it seems out of reach. High achieving minority women engineering is a hot demand category. She should make contact with Embry-Riddle if she's interested for sure. They have a 78% admit rate, middle 50% SAT score is in the 500s so not at all unreasonable for admissions.

3. With a 0 EFC it may actually be less expensive for her to go to a top tier private if she can get in. Look at colleges that fully meet financial need.

4. With the 3/2 program. Look carefully at the requirements - is it a guaranteed admit or are there are reserved number of spots. What are the financial implications of an extra year.

Thank you, that website was super useful! It's tough to find engineering schools that fully meet need, compared to LACs. She had quite a list of those. 

Thank you, that website was super useful! It's tough to find engineering schools that fully meet need, compared to LACs. She had quite a list of those. 

I agree, engineering makes it challenging because it limits the pool of schools. At the same time it also adds on the additional bonus that some of the engineering schools suffer greatly from gender in-balance and they need to put effort into recruiting female candidates too.

There are schools who don't have the 100% number, but will fork over the bucks for a student they really want. Those % numbers are good to consider but they don't tell the whole story. I strongly encourage her to start making contacts with admissions and don't be shy about asking about scholarship opportunities.

Do either of the top two state university engineering programs have a swim team?  Or are you in an area where the community colleges are good, have guaranteed transfer courses, and a swim team?  I would opt for one of those <OR> bite the bullet and shell out for an SAT prep course to increase her scores.  It looks like the coast guard scholarship program will cover the last 2 years, provided she meets:

Eligibility Requirements

• Score a 1000 on the SAT, 1100 on the SAT I, 23 on the ACT, or ASVAB GT of 109 or higher
  • Be between 19 and 27 (applicants must have reached their 19th birthday, but not their 28th birthday as of 30 September of the fiscal year in which the panel convenes.)
  • Must be a sophomore or junior (with at least 60 college credits completed toward your degree)
  • Enrolled in a four-year degree program at an approved institution with a minimum 25% minority population
  • Must be able to complete bachelors degree within 24 months after entry in the program
  • Must not be a conscientious objector
  • Meet all physical requirements for a Coast Guard Commission
  • Maintain a GPA of 2.5 or better
  • Be a U.S. Citizen

Do either of the top two state university engineering programs have a swim team?  Or are you in an area where the community colleges are good, have guaranteed transfer courses, and a swim team?  I would opt for one of those <OR> bite the bullet and shell out for an SAT prep course to increase her scores.  It looks like the coast guard scholarship program will cover the last 2 years, provided she meets:

Eligibility Requirements

• Score a 1000 on the SAT, 1100 on the SAT I, 23 on the ACT, or ASVAB GT of 109 or higher
  • Be between 19 and 27 (applicants must have reached their 19th birthday, but not their 28th birthday as of 30 September of the fiscal year in which the panel convenes.)
  • Must be a sophomore or junior (with at least 60 college credits completed toward your degree)
  • Enrolled in a four-year degree program at an approved institution with a minimum 25% minority population
  • Must be able to complete bachelors degree within 24 months after entry in the program
  • Must not be a conscientious objector
  • Meet all physical requirements for a Coast Guard Commission
  • Maintain a GPA of 2.5 or better
  • Be a U.S. Citizen

Yeah this is the one she wants to do (if the USCGA is a no go), BUT it requires you attend a college that serves one of 3 minority populations (there are lists).  And of course there are a limited number of those types of schools that are engineering undergrad schools, and of those, few have swim teams and/or good aid.  Nevertheless she will prevail, lol.

Georgia

I can't find Biomedical at one of the schools on the lists that also has a swim team.  Take a look at these schools, which are on the list, have EE, and a swim team:

• University of Hawaii at Manoa.
  • CSU Fresno (Hispanic List)
  • San Diego State University (Hispanic List)
  • UC Santa Cruz (Hispanic List)
  • Florida International University (Hispanic List)

She also has 1 state school that started as her safety...and therein lies the quandry.  This is a HBCU (and since my name says where we live, you can guess which one), Tier 2, not selective, but it has a 3/2 with the best state engineering college, NC State, and they work with the nanotech peeps at UNCG.  Swim team is not good but is Division I and hey she knows some people there.  She could do the Coast Guard's version of ROTC her last two years to get in to the CG. You can only do that at certain colleges that are minority focused. They have separate housing for focused students and good research opportunities; she fits into the culture the same way she does everywhere else, by simply doing her own thing, lol. It would be totally paid for and it's only 3 hours away...and they want her very badly, badly enough to give her whatever she wants, lol.

But the questions is - will the Tier 2 status make a difference in her career?  In an engineering BS degree, does name matter a lot?  Most in-state people seem to look down at this school. But it is NC, lol, they are all about Chapel Hill here. Ugh. 

Can you ask this school what recent graduates have done (where they are employed or where they are in grad school or how many are in the CG)?  This will tell you more about how the program is perceived by employers, etc.

Otherwise, I'll admit to not knowing what schools have nanotech and swim teams and CG, so I can't be of much help.  I would think that her being a minority with good grades, etc, AND interested in engineering as a female could get her places.  Are any of the 100% need meeting schools options?