Menu

ITBS Testing - Form A vs. Form C

I've been home testing the ITBS for many years using ITBS Form C.  When I just went to order our new set for the Fall, I learned that Form C is "embargoed" because I just moved into the Dallas ISD area... so I will need to use Form A.  Does anyone have experience with these different forms enough to tell me what the difference is?  Is it a difference of the formatting of the answer key, test results printout, or test itself... or something else? 

This is all I found from BJU:

The Iowa Tests®(ITBS®/ITED®) Form C

If you live in New York or Dallas ISD, you will not be able to receive the Form C tests because of the publisher’s agreement with your state (areas subject to change). Form A is available for customers in these areas. If you are a South Carolina resident ordering Level 7, please call our Customer Service department (800.845.5731) for options.

Usually, it would mean that it's just a different version of the same test.  Each form will have the same number of problems (maybe 20 math problems - 10 computation, 5 interpreting graphs, 5 on probability) at about the same level of difficulty, but the problems themselves would be different.  Theoretically it shouldn't make any difference which form you get; the results should be approximately the same as long as you are testing at the same level.  We've always tested with the ITBS using Form A.  I know there are a number of embargoes on the test in areas where it is used in public schools.  Dallas ISD doesn't want any public school parents obtaining the test early and prepping their child.  I think they're a little paranoid, but I understand issues of test security.

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

I would imagine it's the same as the AP exams, for example, when students in other countries take a different form of the test so that they can't feed problems to kids in the states taking the exams a few hours later, and kids taking the make-up test a few days later take a still different form.  Same concepts and exam layout, just different problems/questions. 

• 7 months later...

Old thread, but still relevant.

I have been researching the ITBS this morning because we have a conflict with our umbrella school's testing dates and will need to do it ourselves.

Form E is Common Core aligned. It was normed in 2011/12. They dropped the sections on maps/diagrams and reference materials and made significant revisions to math. 

Forms A-C are not Common Core aligned. Each one was normed a few years before the previous one, going back to 2001 for Form A.