Menu

Our first two weeks with Tabletclass online Pre-Algebra

Halcyon

So, we took the plunge and are using Tabletclass this year (thanks, Derek!). We decided to start midway through Pre-A as we didn't finish Dolciani last year, and I heard Tabletclass was advanced. Boy, was that spot on! My son started at Chapter 6, Graphing Linear Equations (there are 15 chapters in the course). He had covered this a bit last year, but not really. So far, we both really like the class. The videos are very clear, and when my son gets a question wrong, having the videos that work out the questions step by step is very helpful. He can really see exactly where he made his mistake. John Z manages to present fairly complicated subject matter clearly-my son basically does the work independently because John's explanations are very clear.

I will continue to update as we go, but so far, I am very pleased with Tabletclass--I wish we had used it last year.

I feel like I've been stalking you and dereksurfs all day reading about Tabletclass. :lol:   So, I'm chiming in to say, I too took the plunge (for Pre-Algebra) and thank you for doing all the research and having a kid ahead of mine in math. ;)  We were on the fence between BJU and TT, but BJU is uber expensive for just the one online class.  DD likes TT, but we were concerned about the foundation it gives.  Tabletclass is offering a special, $50 for the entire year so it's TOTALLY worth trying out.  

So, THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOU!  I'm being serious when I say you guys helped me out.

Blessings!

Dorinda

We are doing TC Prealg too. I really like it so far. We had some trouble in the beginning and I emailed the author, he CALLED me and chatted with me for about 45 min. ON A SATURDAY! What does that say a out customer service???? We have just about found our groove with it. If my son continues to like it, we will certainly use it through high school (or what is available)!

My ds has been doing well with TC, too, and I think it has really built his confidence. He likes working on it independently. The customer service has been pretty great as well. I have been a little frustrated with the number of errors/typos in the program, though. Yesterday, my son was working through a topic that was difficult for him, and there was an error in the answer key that threw him for a loop and he wound up spending a lot of time on the problem because he didn't catch on that the answer key was incorrect. It led to him being further confused about something he was already having difficulty with. This has happened a number of times, but at least the other times it was mostly an issue of wasting his time redoing the problem, because he understood the subject well enough. This last time was more aggravating because he wasn't as solid with his understanding on this topic. We were actually redoing this particular chapter together.

Maybe this is just typical with math programs at this level, though. There isn't a day that goes by that Art Reed doesn't make a mistake in his video lessons, but he usually catches them.