Menu

Math question: does this have a name? When is it taught? When is it useful?

SorrelZG

This is making me feel stupid. Not because I can't do math but because I do it without thinking and teaching is requiring me to think and have names and reasons for things I haven't needed for my own purposes and understanding. So, in advance, please forgive me for my apparent ditziness.

DS was just introduced to parenthesis and their place in the order of operations. He was having to do problems such as (10-5) x 4 and he had solved several problems before this one without issue (ie. 5 x (9+1) = 5x10 = 50) so he showed that he understood the concept of solving the parenthesis. It was a simple lesson ... sort of.

My question is: is there a name for the approaching such a problem so that instead of doing it as in the example you solve it as 5x9 + 5x1 and when is solving it that way useful? When is that taught? I remember doing that in math but .. Maybe just in algebra? I don't recall why it would need to be done that way unless there is an unknown that needs to be broken out of the parenthesis.

Anyway, I'm just curious. DS just bamboozled me by my suddenly turning (10-5) x 4 into 40 - 5 - 5 - 5 - 5 = 40 - 4x5 = 40-20 = 20. I went over it with him to point out how many mental steps that took in comparison to what he had been actually taught to do but I got to thinking that it seemed like a bit of a leap to recognize off the bat like that that (10-5) x 4 was 40-20.

The problem we're having with the lesson is that since then he now keeps approaching every problem without parenthesis as if there are parenthesis, so we have to step back and reinforce how to read an equation that has no parenthesis. Oh well. :-/

Because order of operations is a rule created by mathematicians, whilst the distributive property is a naturally occurring feature of mathematics. I have 2 children with brains wired the same way as your DS and it can be fascinating to observe what they can intuit.

Using the distributive property is exactly what we are doing in the standard long multiplication, fwiw.

If we're doing something like 123x45, that's 123x(40+5). We put 123x5 on the first row, 123x40 on the second row, and then add them up to get the answer.

Because order of operations is a rule created by mathematicians, whilst the distributive property is a naturally occurring feature of mathematics. I have 2 children with brains wired the same way as your DS and it can be fascinating to observe what they can intuit.

I had to talk this through with DH before I was sure I comprehended what you meant but now it makes so much sense. :D

I'm impressed on one hand and a little discouraged on the other. I have been trying to work through this material until I find the point where I'm not just mostly review stuff he's already figured out and then he busts out with comprehension of something we're just not near yet which gives me the feeling that I may be in this mode for a while still to come.

Using the distributive property is exactly what we are doing in the standard long multiplication, fwiw.

If we're doing something like 123x45, that's 123x(40+5). We put 123x5 on the first row, 123x40 on the second row, and then add them up to get the answer.

I'm not entirely sure that I ever consciously made that connection. Thank-you so much for mentioning it!

it's also a trick for mental multiplication. to do 4 times 123 in your head, you do 4 times 100 then 4 times 20 and then 4 times 3 and add to get 400 + 80 + 12 = whatever it is. (I guess 492, but i enjoy the process more than the answer.)

associativity is useful too. i.e. (ab)c = a(bc), and c/(ab) = (c/a)/b.

e.g. the NFL offered 765 million to over 4,000 concussion victims yesterday.

=how much per victim? we.. round down to 760 million and divide by 4000. first divide by 1000, getting 760,000, then divide by 4 getting 190,000 (i.e. 760,000 = 76 plus 4 zeroes, so divided by 4 its 76/4 = 19 plus 4 zeroes.)

The point is, with this tick, if you can divide 76 by 4, you can just as easily also divide 760,000,000 by 4,000.

so its 190,000 per person for high income people, some who lost years of work, and some of whom have serious head in juries.

it's also a trick for mental multiplication. to do 4 times 123 in your head, you do 4 times 100 then 4 times 20 and then 4 times 3 and add to get 400 + 80 + 12 = whatever it is. (I guess 492, but i enjoy the process more than the answer.).

s.

I'd do it as 100 x 4 + 25 x 4 - 2 x 4. I'm sure there are lots of other ways to group the numbers. And I agree about enjoying the process the most. :-)

I'm impressed on one hand and a little discouraged on the other. I have been trying to work through this material until I find the point where I'm not just mostly review stuff he's already figured out and then he busts out with comprehension of something we're just not near yet which gives me the feeling that I may be in this mode for a while still to come.

Its probably not everything, though.  When I was in middle school, my mom brought out her study book for the GREs, and I had a blast doing some of the math problems.  She was flabbergasted.  OTOH, there was still plenty of high school math i didnt know.

But depending on age,  you might want to look at Art of Problem Solving, since he seems to be a kid who does not need a lot of direct teaching