Menu

Anything like SOTW for US History?

Paige

We loved listening to SOTW (all of them) on audio CDs and I'd really like something similar for US history. Is there anything like it suitable for children- especially in audio format? I've tried searching, but maybe I'm not finding anything because I'm putting in the wrong key words.

Well, I'll dissent.  IMO, SOTW is great for K-5th.  But Hakim's series is just too wordy and detailed for younger kids.  I see people saying they used it with 2nd and 3rd graders sometimes and I'm always surprised.  My kids love history and they enjoyed SOTW in kindy, but there's no way they would have made it through History of US when we did US history in 2nd grade.

But it still may be the right option for the OP as the Hakim series is very good and I'm not sure about the age of the kids.  And, of course, audio can make things work that wouldn't otherwise...

...audio can make things work that wouldn't otherwise...

This is what enabled me to use Hakim with very young children. I only recommended it because the OP specifically requested audio, and in that way I feel HofUS is very similar to SOTW. What would be just plain too much reading makes for extraordinarily interesting and compelling listening.

OP, I've never seen it anywhere but Audible. I have heard of some people finding it at their library though.

This is what enabled me to use Hakim with very young children. I only recommended it because the OP specifically requested audio, and in that way I feel HofUS is very similar to SOTW. What would be just plain too much reading makes for extraordinarily interesting and compelling listening.

OP, I've never seen it anywhere but Audible. I have heard of some people finding it at their library though.

It still wouldn't have worked for my kids.  They would have zoned out and not listened and it wouldn't have been compelling enough to draw them in long term.  And with Hakim, it's pretty long term.  There are a number of resources that are intended for older kids that people on this board use mostly with younger kids - sometimes they work.  This is one where I think it's probably over-recommended.  But there's no other options on audio that I know of and, like I said, I don't know the ages of the OP's kids.  If they're fifth graders, then it's definitely perfect.

I've only read the first Hakim US history book, but it seemed good for my kids. I liked the short chapters. I feel like it was interesting for them. Of course, that was just the first book, and that covers some pretty interesting stuff abut Native people. My two are obsessed with anything to do with Native Americans.

I've only read the first Hakim US history book, but it seemed good for my kids. I liked the short chapters. I feel like it was interesting for them. Of course, that was just the first book, and that covers some pretty interesting stuff abut Native people. My two are obsessed with anything to do with Native Americans.

History of US is sneaky this way (and, come to think of it, this may be why it is sometimes improperly recommended for the early grades). The reading level is not likely to be a challenge for many kids old enough to follow chapter books. Any one chapter (or even a select handful of chapters) read as deceptively simple. I think the reason younger kids are more likely to tune out is the sheer quantity of detail in each volume and the fact that there are ten full volumes of reading (plus one book of primary sources). Not coincidentally, this is the same reason I love the books and why they have been such a perfect match for my kids. So many historic figures and concepts are woven together. Culture is given equal footing with war and, best of all (IMO), tough issues are not avoided but do not mire down the reader. But, overall, it is just plain a LOT of detail.

It still wouldn't have worked for my kids.  They would have zoned out and not listened and it wouldn't have been compelling enough to draw them in long term.  And with Hakim, it's pretty long term.  There are a number of resources that are intended for older kids that people on this board use mostly with younger kids - sometimes they work.  This is one where I think it's probably over-recommended.  But there's no other options on audio that I know of and, like I said, I don't know the ages of the OP's kids.  If they're fifth graders, then it's definitely perfect.

I haven't used them with my kids, only listened to them myself.  They are very long and detailed but I hope to get some use out of them when we get to more American history, and the kids are about 10 and 12.