Menu

Art History???

http://www.cengage.com/cgi-wadsworth/course_products_wp.pl?fid=M20b&product_isbn_issn=0155050907&discipline_number=436

Gardners's Art through the Ages is fabulous. We have not completed it but purchased this book and study guide used. Honestly not sure about using this website but it looks great so I could not resist linking it. There are lots of "Quizlet" sets etc for picture study that we did look at. Many schools appear to use this text for AP so extras are out there if you look. Dd hasn't had time to do it consistently. First two chapters done.

Annotated Mona Lisa and Sister Wendy are also very good. We loved Sister Wendy!

Our co-op is using Stokstad's Portable Art History this year. My daughter is doing a different class for the fall, but plans to join them for the spring. In prep for that, we're reading through book 1 (Ancient Art) along with the Khan Academy intro to art history lessons and watching "Art of the Western World" on Amazon. We'll include museum trips locally and hope to get to Brookgreen Gardens when we go to the beach this fall. They're having the National Sculpture Society's annual awards exhibition while we're there.

There's a set of lesson plans or such for using the Annotated Mona Lisa available from Rainbow Resources, but I haven't looked at it in person.

The Annenberg Foundation has some video series on art history  http://www.learner.org/resources/browse.html?discipline=1&grade=4

KhanAcademy's affiliate SmartHistory has basically a full art history course with readings and lectures.  I'd probably chose a basic text to follow along with their materials.  Several of the state virtual schools and, I think, PA homeschoolers have AP Art History courses.  There are lots of sample syllabi on the College Board AP site to help you get started. 

I don't think there are many courses below AP level in high school nor are there many texts above elementary but below college level. 

I did find one resource on Amazon that seemed aimed at middle or high school students rather than college students-this workbook is designed to accompany Gardner's 14th edition but is easily adaptable to earlier editions and possibly to other texts as well. 

Edited to add:  I was flipping throught the study guide from Amazon just above last night.  It does say it is designed for an AP Art History Student.  It is definetly keyed to Gardner's 14th as there are sections that say read pages x-x and then answer the following.  It is also divided by chapter so it is easily divided into broad topics (just like the text it is based on)-this would make it easy to work with any edition of Gardner's as well as many other texts.  It has short answer questions, vocabulary, works of art descriptions, & geography exercises for nearly every chapter and is probably slightly more friendly to a high school student than the college level study guide produced by the publisher of Gardner's.

Oak Meadow has an art history class.

"The Study Of Art

From early cave drawings to the nonrepresentational works of modern-day artists, students explore some of the great works of art in conjunction with corresponding or concurrent musical and architectural themes. In addition, students experience original works in art galleries, parks, streets, libraries, and concert halls in their local area. The following books are included with this course:

Oak Meadow The Study of Art Syllabus
The Story of Art
(Phaidon Press)

Click here to view a sample lesson."

Regards,

Kareni