Menu

Need advice on a good phonics/cursive curriculum for my 5 year old

MarigoldHS

My daughter is just now learning cursive and she reads/spells short three letter words.  I am having a terrible time figuring out which way to go with phonics and handwriting.  I have looked at Abeka, Logic of English Foundations, and McRuffy.  She likes hands on programs with lots of colors etc.  The OPGTR and 100EZ lessons style of reading instruction do not work with her at all.  She glazes over.  but If she can write out words and do colorful worksheets etc, she is happy.  

All about reading and Spell to write and read both look good too.  but I've also heard that they can be difficult to implement.  And AAR doesn't have the cursive component.  Is this true? 

Right now, I'm leaning towards LOE or Abeka.  Any thoughts you can share would be greatly appreciated!!!!

I cannot speak to any of the other programs you mentioned, but I can tell you that LOE Foundations would be a good fit for what you described. You can reinforce cursive instruction, teach phonics, enjoy fun games, and your child will have plenty of opportunities to move around. It is written for children who really can't (or don't like) to sit still. The workbook is fun and colorful and the readers are fabulous. I would probably start with level B based on what you said.

Cursive First, which was made to go along with SWR is very easy to use.  I personally don't think that SWR is that difficult to figure out if you are willing to put in a little time and effort (and I'm not talking about hours and hours.  Just the time it takes to go through the manual and understand how to begin. After you know where to start you just jump in with both feet and the rest becomes much clearer as you progress).  The Yahoo group can be helpful and there are a few YouTube videos that can help as well.  I know there are plenty of people who disagree with me, but it really works well for us.   :)

ETA: SWR is also much easier on the budget if that's a factor in your decision. 

I taught my DD with SWR and Cursive First but we switched over to LOE last year and my DS will be starting LOE Foundations next week. SWR is a great program, but I always felt like I was second guessing whether or not I was implementing it properly and I had no clue how and when to include grammar. LOE is so, so user friendly and truly open-and-go. It's everything that was great about SWR, and more, in my opinion. (Except the price.) Foundations is also very colorful and appealing to young children, while SWR did not have that factor because everything is done on a whiteboard or paper.

I'm reviewing LOE Foundations right now. I love it! It is wonderful and incredibly user friendly. So many game and hands on ideas and its very colorful. I also love how they teach cursive by breaking each letter down into the strokes used to write it. I am so very impressed!

I was previously using AAR 1 which I also really like. It has fun games and great practice but it is not colorful. It has no handwriting. But we love the readers and my son has been making great progress with it.

So, we really like both programs now!!

But it sounds like LOE would be a great fit for you.

Thank you so much for the replies.  I think I will go with LOE....I'm very excited.  Thanks again!

I really think you will like it. Feel free to ask questions as you get started.

There is also a Logic of English facebook page if you are on FB where you can ask and get support.