Menu

Chronological Reading List for The Well Educated Mind

I'm thinking about attempting to read through all the works in The Well Educated Mind over the next four years, starting with medieval times (where we are in our history studies this year), and concluding with ancients (the year that my oldest begins the rhetoric stage), so I was pleased to find this chronological list, and am posting in case anyone else might want to follow the same reading plan. The book organizes the reading list by genre, and within that chronologically, but I would rather read different kinds of literature from the same time period, especially since that will flow with our history studies. 

• Like 6

• 2 years later...

Am going to try this again, since I didn't manage it the first time around, though I do have lots more classics under my belt (from the last 200 years). I'll be starting in ancients this August with my oldest who will be in 9th grade. If anyone wants to join me on this quest (not sure I'll do all of the list), let me know. I'm tentatively thinking of creating a Facebook group. It may also be for the History of the Ancient World, since we'll probably be using that, too. So basically it would be a WTM High School Parents history & lit club :) 

I've been considering going through the list as well. I've read a few of them already. I post on the book a week thread. It's really a great thread and seeing so many people reading (no matter what they are reading) has really encouraged me to keep pushing. I aim for at least one book a week. I am also reading on the history of classical education so I will probably do one book from the list one week then a book on classical education the other week.

• Like 2

I know I am not up for joining you at this time but you would be very welcome to join us over on the book a week threadhttp://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/592141-book-a-week-2016-bw11-happy-st-patricks-week/. We have a wide range of books being read always.

I wish I could read a book a week!  Alas, fiction (that I read to myself, not the kids) is reserved for the hour before I go to sleep at night, so it's slow going. I fit in non-fiction at random times. I'm going to have to figure out a schedule for this thing and plan accordingly, but I'm estimating 2-3 weeks per work, what with it being quite challenging reading (Homer, etc.). Thanks for the invite, though! 

Edited by Literary Mom
  • Like 1

Loesje is right! The book a week part is more of a name. We do have several people reading from the Well Educated Mind list and a read along for History of the Renaissance World (I know at least one person is doing Ancient World) is currently being scheduled. We are a pretty easy going group that simply trys to provide encouragement for all.

• Like 2

Definitely don't go by the title :) lots of people skip reading for a few weeks then jump back on or read a book over a few weeks. Some people read more than 1 book a week. Most people use the group to share what we are reading and our reviews of the books and to have a specific group for reading. If you want to have a facebook group or a seperate group for reading the well trained mind books I would be willing to join that too though.

• Like 2