Menu

Spelling: 2nd/3rd grade

We are almost finished with R&S spelling 2nd grade, and DS& really enjoys the layout and is quite proud of finishing the workbook pages (which is a plus because workbooks had become tedious for him).  Wondering if there is program that is similar to R&S but not religious.... I would use the R&S again but we are in a Charter this year and they frown on that.

Thanks!

I haven't used Rod and Staff so I really don't know how it will compare, but this year we are using SpellWell for 3rd grade. Spelling has not been my daughters best subject but she doesn't seem to mind and never complains about doing spelling like she has done previously.

I would guess that spelling workout might be a good equivalent.  It apparently teaches word study at the higher levels (I think I remember hearing/reading that in TWTM or on the forums).

I love R&S.  Even if some of the words are goofy (pulpit for instance LOL), my kids are getting a solid spelling education with word study (especially at the higher levels)

I'm wondering why it matters what the Charter school thinks? if you and your ds like it then keep using it. If it has to do with them paying for it R&S is pretty inexpensive.

If the OP is in California, then the reason the charter school frowns on R&S is that the California constitution specifically prohibits the use of religious materials being used in public schools (homebased charter schools still count as public schools). This is hotly debated (e.g., whether or not religious materials can be used if the parents pay for them). But at any rate, if the OP is in California, that would be the issue.

If the OP is in California, then the reason the charter school frowns on R&S is that the California constitution specifically prohibits the use of religious materials being used in public schools (homebased charter schools still count as public schools). This is hotly debated (e.g., whether or not religious materials can be used if the parents pay for them). But at any rate, if the OP is in California, that would be the issue.

I understand them not paying for religious items but they can actually tell you what you can use that you payed for? Yikes, I wouldn't have any part of that. Not wanting to get into a debate about this topic though, so I hope the OP figures something out. ;)

I understand them not paying for religious items but they can actually tell you what you can use that you payed for? Yikes, I wouldn't have any part of that. Not wanting to get into a debate about this topic though, so I hope the OP figures something out. ;)

Some people interpret the wording of the CA Constitution to mean that not only can religious materials not be paid for by the state, but that the required time of instruction cannot include the time spent using religious materials.

Apples and Pears is fantastic and has done wonders for my very weak speller. However, it's entirely teacher dependent. You have to be there to dictate, read words, guide the entire lesson. I don't know how R&S works, but if it's more independent it wouldn't be an equivalent. Can you use K12 spelling? I used to have a How to Teach Spelling workbooks, How to Spell. I can't find it right now, but it might be a good alternative. I'm trying to see if I can find a sample online. Edited to add: I can't find any extensive samples. But if I recall it introduces a spelling rule or phonogram on the workbook page and then the page has practice with that concept.

We are in California. I was told today by our 'teacher' in the Charter school that I could use religious curriculum, if paid for out of my own pocket.  I could not use that though for the student samples she is required to collect each month, and she could not assign me specific lessons out of that specific book (so the name would not show up on her lesson plan for the month).  

Believe me, if I weren't in the middle of a divorce, and needing the fact that the Charter gives us a legal umbrella of a public school, I would be out in a flash. 

We are in California. I was told today by our 'teacher' in the Charter school that I could use religious curriculum, if paid for out of my own pocket.  I could not use that though for the student samples she is required to collect each month, and she could not assign me specific lessons out of that specific book (so the name would not show up on her lesson plan for the month).  

Believe me, if I weren't in the middle of a divorce, and needing the fact that the Charter gives us a legal umbrella of a public school, I would be out in a flash. 

:grouphug:

Yours is one of the few circumstances under which I could recommend a homebased charter school.

Just go with Spelling Workout. It is pretty close to R&S, and SWB recommends it, so it must be good. :-)

Other good secular materials include Writing Strands, Easy Grammar, Easy Writing, Wordly Wise--actually, anything from EPS, and Saxon.