Menu

singapore 1A--frustrated also using MFW1

Momof2littles

(Edited to ask: how do you pick a math program to fit you and your child? I went with Singapore bc that's what HOD suggested and I didn't know any different. Now that I'm not using HOD and don't plan to this year or next, maybe Singapore doesn't fit me or my daughter. How do you choose?)

I decided to add 1A to MFW 1 this year bc my dd is mathy. She just "gets" math. BUT the number bonds are killing me bc she's frustrated. Is it best to memorize facts to 10 or 12 perfectly before starting 1A?

Is there another curriculum that is as good as Singapore for elementary? I taught 1st grade in public school so I don't think I'm the issue (LOL) but I don't love the worksheets or textbooks.

I love hands on math for this age and MFW1 has it written in and it's hands on and very fun. She does the supplemental sheets and hands on activities in less than 5 minutes. It's all fun but not challenging at all! I don't want her to lose the interest in math bc she's bored. I had planned to do the hands on activities planned in MFW1 and add in a math program for the days when math was really light.

So, any suggestions? I have no preference as to spiral or mastery...just need experienced mama help! Thanks!

I freely let my kids use Cuisenaire rods or some other hands on supplement to help them with counting, adding, subtracting, until they can do it in their heads. It is common for my kiddo in 1A to draw 10 circles on the page and then cross out four to figure out that 10-4 = 6. He also also reaches for the Cuisenaire rods or whatever else is available. All four of my kids have used manipulatives alongside SM until they knew their facts.

Are you using a manipulative with Singapore? I used c-rods. No, you don't need to know the facts before doing 1A. The point of the number bonds is to help the child learn them. Do focus on number bonds that equal 10 before doing the infamous chapter 6. ;)

I freely let my kids use Cuisenaire rods or some other hands on supplement to help them with counting, adding, subtracting, until they can do it in their heads. It is common for my kiddo in 1A to draw 10 circles on the page and then cross out four to figure out that 10-4 = 6. He also also reaches for the Cuisenaire rods or whatever else is available. All four of my kids have used manipulatives alongside SM until they knew their facts.

That's what I've been doing...I'm a manipulative hoarder. We took a break for about a month and then tried again. The missing addend is what she isn't getting in the number bond set up. She understands when I write it as a number sentence, but isn't that missing the point of Singapore number bonds?

Is it best to memorize facts to 10 or 12 perfectly before starting 1A?

I skipped 1A with my son and went straight to 1B. According to the Home Instructor's Guide, students should have addition and subtraction within 10 memorized before unit 3 of 1B. So that shouldn't be the problem. If you can check out the HIG for your level, they have a bunch of good ideas and explanation about WHY this concept is being taught this way, and suggestions for how to really get it solid. I really appreciate these tidbits in the HIG since we're fairly new to SM (did a kindergarten Earlybird workbook but that's it).

MFW user (and lover!) and Singapore user.  We just started 2A today.  :)  So, I love MFW, but are you using the HIG?  They don't recommend it...not meaning they say you shouldn't use it, but rather they don't think it's needed and don't offer it.  They do have their own guide.  I wasn't an elementary ed teacher and not as qualified as you are, but without the HIG I would be lost.  I would suggest getting that first before you bale.  After that, if you still want to change, my second choice is Saxon or A Beka. 

Good Luck!

MFW user (and lover!) and Singapore user. We just started 2A today. :) So, I love MFW, but are you using the HIG? They don't recommend it...not meaning they say you shouldn't use it, but rather they don't think it's needed and don't offer it. They do have their own guide. I wasn't an elementary ed teacher and not as qualified as you are, but without the HIG I would be lost. I would suggest getting that first before you bale. After that, if you still want to change, my second choice is Saxon or A Beka.

Good Luck!

I have a HIG but it seems even more confusing! LOL I don't know that I'm qualified to teach Singapore! I probably need to sit down and read about it more to get a good feeling for it. I also have the MFW guide for 1A and the textbook, too.

I saw that Saxon has a Singapore method that looks well written but it is pricey!

I skipped 1A with my son and went straight to 1B. According to the Home Instructor's Guide, students should have addition and subtraction within 10 memorized before unit 3 of 1B. So that shouldn't be the problem. If you can check out the HIG for your level, they have a bunch of good ideas and explanation about WHY this concept is being taught this way, and suggestions for how to really get it solid. I really appreciate these tidbits in the HIG since we're fairly new to SM (did a kindergarten Earlybird workbook but that's it).

thanks. I need to get my HIG out!

I often do number bonds orally. I say 10 is 6 and what. If my kids can do that, then I'm satisfied. Oftentimes, my kids have been confused about how SM wants in written.

I will try that or maybe some hands on number bonds...like paper squares for the boxes and number cards placed on top of the squares. then I could move the boxes around to show them like a number sentence and then move to show the same numbers like a number bond.

I prefer RightStart for the early grades. I particularly think it's stronger at 1st grade, though Singapore is a solid conceptual program too.

I was going to suggest adding c-rods to your Singapore, but I see you've done that. She may just need some development time. RightStart has a little rhyme for the 10 bonds and lots and lots of practice with the concepts in a hands on way. Link to the song and the manipulatives for the 10 facts.

My dd is using 1A right now. When picking I kind of figured at this age it is a little bit of a guessing game. So early on, I feel like I am not totally aware of her style and learning preferences, so I went with the curriculum I wanted to use. And figure if I find her learning style does not mesh we can adjust accordingly.

I am glad to see others are using rods for counting. We have been using snap cubes at times and I wondered if that was a bad habit or not. I did not buy the HIG and never used one with my ds when he used Singapore, so I am not aware of the suggested methods.

My first born did 1A/1B for first and we skipped MFW1 math while using the rest of the program.

My second son did MFW1 math with 1A Singapore.

My third is doing MFW1 this year without MFW1 math and doing Singapore 1A/1B. She did Singapore Earlybird with MFWK.

So my choices reflect what I like best: Singapore math. However, MFW recommends 1A for 2nd after MFW1 math. So if you like the hands on you could go that route. My kids like math & tend to get it so Singspore has worked well for them. I don't use the HIG, but I know a lot of moms do. I don't think it was around when I started.

I chose Singapore for number bonds. I just taught them for the third time today! My dd seemed to need a little more than explanation so I used three boxes and crayons. The big box being the total box. It seemed to help her understand it better seeing it like that.

Math drills have to be added to Singapore. The facts come more and more with practice and in the mean time manipulatives do help. It is after 2 years or so of Singapore that I usually see the high benefits to the curriculum and its approach to math.

Must have just had a bad math day yesterday. We tried again and she told me it was too easy. LOL she did three pages with no problem.

This happens to us too.  Sometimes it is because he's tired or whatever, but other times, I think the concept needs time to simmer in his brain and really soak in.  Then, suddenly, he understands.  I start teaching assuming he is still struggling and he is suddenly flying through.  LOL!

This happens to us too. Sometimes it is because he's tired or whatever, but other times, I think the concept needs time to simmer in his brain and really soak in. Then, suddenly, he understands. I start teaching assuming he is still struggling and he suddenly flying through. LOL!

Yes! We talk about sleeping on it! But yesterday I was sooo frustrated! It was probably all me causing the problem.

And I drilled her on facts to ten this morning and she knows a lot by memory?! This was the first time I've ever pulled out flashcards. She just "gets" math!

Thanks for everyone's help!

I love hands on math for this age and MFW1 has it written in and it's hands on and very fun. She does the supplemental sheets and hands on activities in less than 5 minutes. It's all fun but not challenging at all! I don't want her to lose the interest in math bc she's bored. I had planned to do the hands on activities planned in MFW1 and add in a math program for the days when math was really light.

So, any suggestions? I have no preference as to spiral or mastery...just need experienced mama help! Thanks!

Yes, sleeping on it is good thing.

If you are still listening to experienced mama help, I couldn't sleep well, so I'm typing.

1. I like singapore, a lot.  At this age, you need to use manipulatives.  the mental math in singapore does not mean you teach abstractly.  I was one of those who tried HIG and it was too much on me as an inexperienced teacher to not know when to quit with it so that I didn't ruin the interest and abiltiy in math.  ah, my poor sweet oldest.  but I learned to set HIG down. 

Oldest did singapore 4b-6b in upper elementary, so I'm projecting that it's like that for younger years.  I heard that when MFW first carried singapore, they decided too many moms who were testing the programs (and sharing feedback) were overwhelmed using those guides. So it's ok if you and I fit in that category and others don't.  (warm smile) because plenty of people before us experienced the same reaction. (for clarity.. I wasn't one of mfw's testers) 

I think MFW's suggestion is that for 2nd graders starting Singapore,  you take a Singapore placement test and start where the placement test says to start, but they encourage you not to skip 1B unless they have truly mastered all of the 1B content. This book sets an important foundation in understanding key concepts in SM.

2. She's young.  If MFW 1st is working with math, keep using it. (which sounds like you want to, I'm just saying, yes.. good thing to keep on)  Challenge does not have to mean to do more workbooks at different levels (just like you seem to have said in a post).  Just like a child who reads early does not need to read War and Peace at age 5 to be challenged and grow, doing several math programs may not be in long term interest.  Instead of more programs' books, knowing what I know now, I'd go more in depth and focus on applications.

3. are you adding in all of the math library books in the reading list in MFW 1st?  That can keep interest when you see math applied in books.  no it will not be hard.  But it will benefit all learners when math comes off the worksheet.

4. Are you adding in the items from deluxe mfw 1st with the pattern animals book and the wooden blocks?   those are math and critical thinking skills, and she can do them on her own and explore lots of concepts.  I'm projecting me onto you, which is not fair to you, but if you're anything like me, I would have rolled my eyes at those things.  But look into those, especially for a child who gets math easily.  It's learning how to apply numbers and thinking.  It will not be "hard", but it has good benefits.

maybe you are doing all of those things and in my sleep state this morning, I misunderstood.  if so, oops. sorry.     and I wasn't sure if you had 1st edition MFW first grade manual, or the current one? but the sequencing is a little different.  sorry...  I should be more awake...

you know...I'm showing my educational philosophy and age here....... being done quickly at this age, and getting it, just means you have more time for letting them explore crafts, music, special interest, etc that you aren't going to be able to do as easily in a few years. So, even if those fun things are fun, let her enjoy them.  I don't think doing so will hold her back or harm her at this point.  It didn't seem to hold back my oldest who is planning to declare computer science as her major on her college application this coming week.  And she's Calc ready in 12th.  math was easy for her for most part. She played a lot of fun games on computer with thinking skills.

just a bunch of rambling.. 

you'll do fine. 

Maybe I don't approach it right, but I consider our singapore math workbooks (which we don't use particularly often, but I have them), to be something to teach or learn the material.  I don't expect my child to know it when we are doing it.  I expect them to need to figure it out as we are working.  So in 1A, my child was figuring out what the number bonds were each time.  They didn't just know the answer. 

It did get old that my one child didn't seem to get the concept that addition is commutative, but Life of Fred seemed to help with that instead (or perhaps just age).

I found a little of the number bond stuff confusing, but we got through it and learned some things. :)

ETA: I hope my post doesn't sound snarky.  I really don't understand what you are concerned about.  The purpose of 1A is to teach about number bonds and additon and the commutative property of addition (and subtraction and that it is not commutative).  Of course you shouldn't memorize the facts before starting - how boring would the workbook be then?  And then you'd know the answers, but you very well might totally miss the point of breaking the numbers apart to make the math easier (which is what the book is trying to teach - understanding numbers and making them work more easily for you).

ETA again: I re-read your OP and you are thinking about something else because the concept of number bonds frustrates your DD, I think.  I guess I'd examine why she is frustrated?  Is she bored?  Does she not understand?  Then I'd work on solving that particular frustration.