Menu

Charlotte Mason book recommendations?

Diana B

I don't really know much about the CM method, other than pieces I've picked up here and there. Can someone explain the differences and similarities between CM and classical? And maybe recommend a couple books (don't overwhelm me!) that will help explain?

Thanks a bunch!

Charlotte Mason and Classical Education

by Susan Wise Bauer

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/charlottemason.html

I have read many books on the subject. A good place to start is Susan Macauley's excellent For the Children's Sake. Then if you like a bare-bones how-to guide without fluff, get Catherine Levison's A Charlotte Mason Education. If you, like me, like to get the feel and the big picture of the Charlotte Mason philosophies of education, get Karen Andreola's A Charlotte Mason's Companion.

If you'd like to dig in even deeper and can't get enough of Charlotte Mason's ideas, read her books, starting with Home Education. If you need a guide, get Penny Gardner's Charlotte Mason's Study Guide.

You can get most of these from your local library. I was even lucky enough to borrow Home Education from my local library.

Good luck!

Which classical do you want it compared to: WTM-style or pure classical?

Also - just as there are different "classicals" there are different interpretations of CM (I can't remember, but maybe SWB's article addresses that). Some people perceive CM to be "softer" than classical, but I think that depends on whose version of CM you're using - it can be just as rigorous.

You might also enjoy some of the articles and links on the amblesideonline website. http://www.amblesideonline.org

Some differences I have noticed:

TWTM uses many curriculum and Usborne type books, as well as Living Books. CM uses Living books almost exclusively, except for maths and highschool science, and a few other bits and pieces like a writing curriculum or guide in highschool.

Both use narration, but CM uses it exclusively (although the definition on narration seems much broader than TWTM, if you look at what kids actually did in CM schools) and TWTM uses (its narrower version of) narration as one of many techniques. CM uses narration, including an emphasis on oral narration, all the way through school, wheras TWTM only advocates oral narration up until the point the child can write their own.

TWTM uses the concept of the Trivium- Grammar, Logic and Rhetoric stages of development- wheras that concept doesn't come through in CM's writings, although her methods actually reflect it to some degree- just not excplicitly.

TWTM's schedules make for a longer day, CM specifically advocates a school day that finishes by early afternoon, even in later years, leaving time for outdoor activities and practical handcrafts and free time in the afternoons.

For all of TWTM's breadth, CM has more subjects, although many of them are very short- like including Folksongs.

I believe both are equally rigorous however the shorter hours of CM allows more time for extra curricula activities and free time.