Menu

Postpartum nausea?

BarbecueMom

DS #3 was born early Friday morning after a very fast labor. We barely made it to the delivery room! He's adorable, happy, and healthy, and his brothers are completely in love with him.

I... am not doing as well.

The "morning sickness" that I had at both the beginning and end of pregnancy didn't go away with delivery. Instead of the couple hours every evening that I was sick during pregnancy and the two days in the hospital after DS's birth, it's turned into all-day nausea with vomiting. I get slightly hungry, take a few nibbles off something, then get too sick to keep eating. I've eaten half a peanut butter sandwich and a few bites of the crust of a GF pop tart in the past 24 hours.

I weighed myself this morning out of curiousity. At 6 days postpartum, I'm back at my pre-pregnancy weight. That seems alarmingly fast, especially when I'm still unable to eat properly. Milk supply is good for now, and for the most part I can drink water without feeling sicker.

DH was supposed to go back to work today, but not only am I still having trouble taking care of three kids with the unrelenting queasiness, his dad had heart surgery yesterday that didn't go as well as hoped. He's being pulled in so many directions right now, trying to divide his time between the hospital and home (he's the oldest child and POA for this kind of thing). I feel incredibly guilty that we missed out on family things before the surgery because we're trying to take care of a newborn and manage my increasing nausea.

Has anyone dealt with the nausea not going away? DS's first checkup is today, and we all use the same family doctor, so I'll mention it and see what she thinks. Zofran does absolutely nothing for me. Phernergan does, but knocks me out cold.

I feel like the light at the end of the tunnel was just my imagination.

Have you had your blood sugar checked? Reminds me of my friend (had gestational diabetes) and after delivery, it took several days for blood sugar to return to normal. She vomited several times during that time. Just a thought.

I didn't think of that, but it's possible, even though I didn't have GD. I'll mention it to the doctor, thanks!

Yes! I had this with my last child. It was hypoglycemia. It got better when I stopped nursing (a month ago). At first it was very bad and then when baby started solids it got better, but I still had a hard time first thing in the morning and when I hadnt eaten recently. When he weaned completely I started feeling like a new person. Now I never feel nauseous, but I can still feel cranky or slightly shaky if I have not eaten recently.

I remember that right after I had him I was wondering if the morning sickness would ever go away!

Did you receive narcotics?

No, they got an IV in about 10 minutes before he was born. I was GBS positive and didn't even get any of the antibiotics. It was 3 hours from first contraction at home to birth.

The only meds I had after was Motrin for the headache I was getting from crappy hospital pillows.

It could also be a gall bladder. I had a friend who had morning sickness throughout her preg. (as she normally did) but it didn't go away after birth. They discovered it was actually her gall bladder. If it doesn't go away in a week or so you should maybe consider checking.

This is what I'm worried about. I've had the gallbladder ultrasound and HIDA scan before when I was having stomach issues (turned out to be gluten). DH has no more time off and is sort of relying on his boss and coworkers to come up with things he can "do from home".

Yuck, I feel your pain. After I had DS5, I had "morning sickness" for six months. I remember throwing up on Christmas morning, and that was the last time. He was born June 1 after a total labor time of eighty minutes, born at home with no medications. I don't know what caused it, and it didn't happen with DS3. It was bizarre.