Menu

At what age (if ever) would you allow William Shakespeare's

Well this is gonna sound warped, but I saw it a LOT of times growing up (my mom liked it) and I don't even recall that much bad.  That's weird, because we're a G-rated movie kind of family, kwim?  So I think there's a sense in which adults get things that kids don't.  There's a flashing scene the morning after, so fast forward through it.  Was there that much else?

Now a modern version, that will surely find some way to be overly educational in the biology department, etc. etc.  You can wait till the family-friendly reviews come out online and decide for yourself.

If you give up on the movie versions, there's always an Ambrose production.  Check, because they probably have one.  It will be the more theatrical style.  But really, I think you're going to be able to fast forward through the dab of objectionable in the older movie and make it work.  I haven't shown it to my dd, but I wouldn't hesitate to under those terms, remote in-hand. Also, how old are your kids?  If they're not in high school, maybe wait and do comedies instead?

PS. As I remember back, there was more lewdness in the play production I saw at William & Mary one summer than there was in the movie.  Like it was so lewd they way they brought it out, it really stuck in my mind.  I think with the movie it's just so beautiful overall, you don't get stuck on things, kwim?  

Oh mercy, I just realized you meant a more modern version!  What I saw was the Zefferelli 1968 version. That you just fast forward through a dab and it's otherwise beautiful.  Havne't seen a new version.  

Hmmm! My middle ds watched the Dicaprio version. I think he was either in 9th or 10th.

You could watch the 1968 version- fabulous, fabulous acting. You totally believe their young, crazy-out-of-control love for each other. OTOH, there is, of course, the nude scene with Hussey. Also, watch West Side Story. :)

HTH-

Mandy

I would let my kids watch the Zefferelli version now.  They're 8.  They know the story and sat through the ballet at the Kennedy Center, so I'm thinking they would actually probably enjoy it.  I know you see her naked from behind, but I wouldn't have a problem with them seeing that.  Heck, I'd rather they see it now when they won't care then in a few years when they will.  Ds said of the ballet that they really should have shortened it, maybe by cutting that overly long scene with the balcony.  Ha.

The Baz Luhrman version... I'd need to rewatch to be sure, but I think by age 11 or 12.  But I'm on the liberal side about this stuff compared to the Hive.