Menu

Minimus or Latin's Not So Tough for indepence?

truebluexf

DD would like to learn some Latin, but she is wants to do it on her own. She's a little independent, lol. What would work best? I really don't care if she ever becomes a whiz at Latin. Some exposure would be nice. Minimus looks a little more fun, but idk how teacher intensive it actually is. Thanks!

I think that Minimus is hard for a child to use on her own.  There's not much explicit instruction in the text and, to me, too much is left unclear.  If she is a go-with-the-flow kind of child, it might work.  If she likes to really understand things, then she'll probably end up frustrated after a few chapters.

L

I've not seen Minimus, but we use (and really like) Latin's Not So Tough. We do it mostly orally (so that I am learning along with DD), but it could easily be done independently. The only drawback is that if you wrote in the worktext, you couldn't reuse it, and they're not super cheap.

There's also Getting Started With Latin, which can be done independently as well, but it would be a lot of writing if you (the parent/teacher) then wanted to check the student's work. If your student wants to learn it on her own, without you wanting to check her work, then GSWL would be very easy to use, and it's cheap too.

Minimus was definitely a read together text for us, and whilst it was fun & gave some exposure, I don't know that they retained a whole lot.

DD1 then used Lively Latin which I tried doing alongside her, but she's pretty diligent about doing it & I'm.....not. Hence she's on book 2, working completely independently. She was disappointed to learn there isn't a book 3!