Menu

grandparents volunteering to teach/facilitate anything

homeschoolkitty

My parents have come a long way since we told them about homeschool. I am glad that they are willing to help. My kids are 1st, preK, 2yr old and baby.

If you had that oportunity what would you let your parents/family help with...

Make my meals and my laundry come to mind, but I suspect that was not what they wanted. However to be fear, my mom has said she could come and fold my baby clothes :thumbup1: and she has...

THe only thing is that they want for me to give them the curriculum/lesson plans.

I am using:

Math u see

Mystery of History

SWR

106 days of creations (If I can't get my hands on Wile's  Science in the Begining)

I have lots of extra things like:

Singapore math

Family Math

Hooked on phonics

Frog Math

Pathway readers and some workbooks

hooked on phonics Kinder box

Sing spell read and write box (old without the prizes)

I can have all the 3 kids together @ gramas, or one kid a day, or the two older ones and then the toddler?

toying with the idea of letting them teach the kids about maps.Geography, I got the one that was on sale at Tuesday Morning, nice but I don't have a curriculum to go along. The preK child is enamored with maps of the world, our state, knows a lot of them.

Handycraft, like knitting?

Spanish?

Art through History? to match our MOH

A time line? they have the wall space at their house :)

I would like for it to be a 'fun' time, I am boring...

I am all ears!

Thank you

k

I'd pick one of those "middle" subjects, and let Grandma have at it! (In other words, NOT a core subject, but also not a completely-fluff, as that might be insulting to her. Geography at that age would be perfect! Five In A Row might work well, too - it's easy to pick up and put down, and the activities are pretty self-contained and not overly complex. If she / they are good at something (woodworking? gardening? puzzle-solving?) that the kids are interested in, that would be a really good connecting point for them, too. I'd make sure it was something GRANDMA enjoyed first, even above your little one's particular interests at this age.)

Also, just taking your toddler + baby for a couple of hours would be a HUGE help as far as giving you quiet time w/the olders, once a week or so (she could take them to the library / mall to play / just about anywhere).

Big thumbs up for grandparents willing to step in and lighten the load!

At those ages, I would want to teach math and LA. Anything outside of those two subjects that the grandparents were interested in teaching I would hand over to them.

Realize that I just said hand over. You need to be fine with whatever the grandparents do even if that is nothing or even if it s totally different from how you would do it.

Mandy

I forgot to mention that my mom cannot drive, she actually never learned. and has some vision problems. nothing that would prevent her from knitting or cooking, or normal life, just far away she can't see. So we would be limited to her house, which as you guys said, just the fact that the kids are in a safe place would be fine.

My mom teaches my children art once a week.  As the years go on, we will change it up a bit.  At some point she is going to teach typing and computer.  She may tutor us in Latin, which she did with my sister and therefore is much more qualified that I am, but she won't be the main teacher.  We will move forward each week even if she isn't here.  Right now, if she doesn't come, we don't do art.

I love my mom.  She HS'd my sister in highschool (but not before).  But, I feel that I need to be the one teaching the core skill subjects.  Math and LA will always be all me (or hubby).  I choose her to be completely responsible for something that is totally gravy.  But, for things in the middle, like history and science, I lead, but she helps when she is here.  When she is here, she will help with projects or do the read alouds.  She will teach Bible when she's here.  My mom is a little over an hour away.  I know she would do more if she could be here more.  She comes about once a week.  I feel blessed to have her as involved as she is.

So, that's how we handle it.  :)

What special thing do THEY do or enjoy that they could pass on in special time spent with their grandchildren?

sewing

baking

cake decorating

knitting

embroidery

woodworking

whittling

boat building

fishing

nature walk and teach leaf/bird identification

gardening

painting

a musical instrument or singing

photography

poetry and tea

model railroading

history recreation group

Start with something that would be a real joy to the grandparents to share, and branch out from there! How special! :)

Read-alouds (if she wants a curriculum, FIAR or Peggy Kaye's Games with Books)

poetry (tea-time if you follow Bravewriter)

handicrafts (is there something Grandma likes doing? Knitting, sewing, papercrafts?)

cooking and baking

gardening

nature studies

puzzles, card games, board games (logic and math)

My mom handles art. I have no desire to do it or space for all the associated stuff. I agree with others that I wouldn't want to hand over a core subject. I actually would be hesitant to hand over history too, since it is often difficult or impossible to teach without religious or political bias. I would assemble a short list and let her choose. She will probably do a fantastic job if its something she's interested in.

My mom taught my kids art & knitting. I didn't hesitate at all for my dad to teach a core subject. My dad taught my kids grammar last year, (he was an English major) but my mom could have taught it too. My parents are in their late 60's, that generation knows their grammar & diagramming!

I agree with Mandy. You teach LA and Math. Let them pick what they want. Are they crafty? Would they do a great job making science hands on and fun since you said you aren't fun? Geography would work too. The key is whatever they are willing to invest in and you can let go of.

If you want it to be an actual learning time, I'd keep your 2 yo out of it. Send her a different day or time so that she can visit and you can have uninterrupted time to work with the others.

What special thing do THEY do or enjoy that they could pass on in special time spent with their grandchildren?

sewing

baking

cake decorating

knitting

embroidery

woodworking

whittling

boat building

fishing

nature walk and teach leaf/bird identification

gardening

painting

a musical instrument or singing

photography

poetry and tea

model railroading

history recreation group

Start with something that would be a real joy to the grandparents to share, and branch out from there! How special! :)

Thanks for the ideas, sadly my parents are not very "handy" my mom knows how to knit but is not pasionate about it. She loves cooking, I always had the thought of follow her in a blog format for HOW she cooks, I don't think my dad has ever eaten a tomato with skin at home since he married my mother.

My mom was an English teacher for ESL, my dad still works. likes hunting and fishing.

Funny you mention those things, I like those things!

I second that!  If GPs still would feel more comfortable with a curriculum in the chosen subject, you could just get them one and let them know they don't have *have* to use it, only if they want to.  They may find, after they get into the groove, they don't need it after all.

So sweet!