Menu

Singapore Math, if you use the CWP and/or IP a half book behind...

Mom2TheTeam

For Singapore Math, I've seen a lot of people say they use the CWP and/or the IP a half book behind.  I am planning to do that.  But, I've also heard a lot of people say they don't use the CWP and IP with 1A or B...so, starting with the level 2 books.  My question is do you start them with 2A and use CWP 1 and IP 1B?  Or wait till 2B to start those and start at CWP 2 and IP 2A.

We are starting 2A later this week. (or we'll wait till next Monday, but I don't tend to wait, I just jump in on whatever day.) I'm planning to start CWP 1 and IP 1B.  I do also have CWP 2 and IP 2A, but I'm planning to start with the level 1 books.  I think this will be good for my son.  We can revisit it if it's too easy or not working. 

I was just curious how others handle it.  :)

We pause about halfway through 2A to do CWP 1.  We've done the same things with 3A and 4A, pausing to go back and work through the previous level's CWP book.  I like to have my kids work through the entire CWP book in one fell swoop rather than switch back and forth between different books. 

We pause about halfway through 2A to do CWP 1.  We've done the same things with 3A and 4A, pausing to go back and work through the previous level's CWP book.  I like to have my kids work through the entire CWP book in one fell swoop rather than switch back and forth between different books. 

It might be a good idea to stop between 1B and 2A and do CWP 1. Or to stop a little ways in 2A. He really could use some work on word problems.  Plus, I wouldn't mind him working on subtraction a bit more before moving on.  We worked on it for a while and finally moved on, but having that extra time between to solidify word problems and add in subtraction (and addition ;)) drills might be perfect for him. Hmm...I'm going think on that.  Thank you for the suggestion!

We used them with 1A/1B last year, though she didn't finish them, so they've carried over into this year. 

We tried but rarely got to it.  I wanted to.  We were playing catch up on math because of my floundering.  Plus, we have such a hard time just getting the minimum in because I have 6 kids 7 and under including twin 3 year olds...who are more work than the other 4 combined...and a 9 month old.  Anyway, I'm hoping to have time to get those incorporated better this year, especially CWP.  We should be able to do that because now we are slightly ahead...we school year round and have till July of next year to finish level 2.  It *should* be enough time.  We'll see....:lol:

For 2 reasons...as review is the biggest and the 2nd is because I have the ones from 1B that we weren't able to get to and I still want to.  LOL!  I've read several times that people do this and it sounded like it might be a good idea for review.  Maybe not, we'll see, but I thought I'd try it.  I'm not sure why those people aren't responding because in other Singapore threads I've had, many people said that was how they did it.  Now they are hiding.  ;) 

What I may end up doing is starting at least halfway through the books though because reading many of the early CWP pages, they look way too easy.  But, I guess starting in the middle of CWP would be a half year behind. :)  Anyway, that's the reasons.

We use the CWP and IP books a half year behind as a review.

I have my dd do one page of CWP (usually two problems) and one page of IP every day along with her Math in Focus worksheets.

It takes about one school year to finish a CWP and both IP books with this schedule. She does them as independent work if she can. If she has trouble we go over it together later in the day.

My oldest did them a little behind, but by time we did grade 5, we were doing CWP only a couple topics behind.

I didn't start them until level 2 because we started homeschooling in first grade and didn't discover those books until he was in 2nd, almost 3rd grade math. It was no problem to start at 2, and we didn't do everything either.

My middle son is almost done with 1B, and I plan to start him in IP/CWP sometime during grade 2 SM. I have the books for 2-5. I'm purposely keeping math easy for him right now, since he works hard at reading. I'm ok with not giving him the full challenge of SM at this time.