Menu

Books for an active 5 year old boy?

smfmommy

After 4 girls I am out of touch to what would appeal to a very active 5 year old boy.  He likes legos and I have checked out those books from the library.  We also have Biscuit books and other picture books he likes but I would like to get some slightly longer books to sort of stretch his attention span.

Something like Milly Molly Mandy but for boys?

Thank you!

My ds enjoyed hearing Magic Tree House books read aloud. He also likes the Ramona Quimby and Henry Huggins books by Beverly Clearly. 

My suggestion is to get  a few great reference books on read alouds. 

The Read Aloud Handbook

Books To Build On

More Books Kids Will Sit Still For

As far as books to practice reading, I've always loved most of the I Can Read books for that age. Frog and Toad, Little Bear, Henry and Mudge, Mr Putter and Tabby, Dav Pilky's Dragon books etc. 

There's a great one by Jamie Lee Curtis called "Now I Am Five" that is awesome. Also "Where the Wild Things Are", and anything by Richard Scarry or Dr. Seuss. For longer read alouds, Winnie the Pooh and its sequels by A.A. Milne, and Just So Stories and the Jungle Book and Second Jungle Book by Kipling, plus old fashioned fairy tales and retellings of hero tales (Hercules, Cuchlain, Odysseus, Sigurd, David, etc.)

Oooh, I have the Kipling books on my kindle right now.  I might have to start those soon.  Thank you for the other suggestions too.  You gave me a great idea.  My eldest has been telling stories to the little ones at night before bed (its sooo adorable :wub: ) and I will suggest her retelling her favorite myths - she loves Greek mythology.

Guest hmrees

My oldest son is five, and we've only just started with the Magic Tree House books. He also loves all of the Magic Schoolbus books, and we have an Usborne Greek Myths book that he adores. For longer read-aloud books, he really enjoyed "Doctor Doolittle" and "The Secret Garden," "The BFG," as well as "The Wind in the Willows." We're just starting to read "The Wizard of Oz" out loud at bedtime to him and my middle son (age 3), and so far they seem to be enjoying it.

I had girls first too and have been surprised at what "girly" books appeal to my boys. My current 5 year old doesn't even have live-in big sisters but he loved their old Betsy-Tacys up to "Downtown" and all their Raggedy Ann books. Thornton Burgess has also been a huge hit for him and after a lot of indecisiveness on my part, he's loving the first Narnia book so we'll probably keep going. My older son loved retellings of Homer. I think we started with http://www.amazon.com/Classic-Myths-Read-Aloud-Educational/dp/B000WON62I/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1376384341&sr=8-2&keywords=Greek+Myths+to+Read+Aloud and then the Odds Bodkin tapes (er...CDs...er...MP3s) but he begged me for the full Lattimore translation I read in college at an absurdly young age. he also loved the Prydain books by Lloyd Alexander and they were the first books he asked to borrow as an adult. I forget how old he was, but I'm thinking my five year old might be ready soon. Younger ds was introduced to King Arthur with the Robert San Souci books but I think older ds's favourite version was http://www.amazon.com/Arthur-Noble-Knights-First-Cloth/dp/B000MTBG8Y/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1376385047&sr=8-2&keywords=John+Steinbeck+King+Arthur but I don't have the heart to ask him to give it back so I'm convincing myself that younger ds isn't ready for it yet.

Roald Dahl's The Magic Finger is another good "transitional" book if he's just starting chapter books, but if your family hunts or eats wild game you'd better skip it and do some "on the fly" editing with Burgess the same way you would with Little House books for littles.

Don't rule them out either or limit him to just Farmer Boy.

When there are older sisters involved, being a boy can feel like nothing but a long list of fun stuff you can't do, wear, or grow up to be! I felt that just wasn't necessary for reading matter. He'll let you know if one of your old favourites just doesn't interest him.

When there are older sisters involved, being a boy can feel like nothing but a long list of fun stuff you can't do, wear, or grow up to be! I felt that just wasn't necessary for reading matter. He'll let you know if one of your old favourites just doesn't interest him.

I agree. I have two boys and one girl and I have never ever thought in terms of girl book/boy book. I understand that some things may appeal to different genders, but I try not to assume what that will be. 

Thank you for all the suggestions.  I don't mind reading "girl" books to him, although we do seem to have a lot of books where the main characters are girls, especially in the easier levels.

My girls woulld sit (and still do) for any amount of reading aloud I am able to do.  My voice gives out before their ears. :-)  I am in need of titles that would keep an active boy interested for longer than a few minutes.  I'll give The Wind in the Willows and Doctor Doolittle a try as well as Milly Molly Mandy which is my favorite for this level.

Guest Danabi

I have two very busy little boys and we love to read Nate the Great.  It is series book about little boy who is a detective.  And Narnia is  fun one although it is lengthy.

I have super busy 5-6yo boys, and some read alouds we've enjoyed lately include:

the three tales of My Father's Dragon

Catwings (series, 4 books)

Mr Putter and Tabby (series, many)

Poppleton (series, several)

and we've started on some Magic Treehouse.  I think when we tire of MTH, I plan to try some Beverly Cleary and Mr Popper's Penguins, etc.  

Ones my sons have enjoyed at about that age...

My Father’s Dragon Series

some of the Dick King-Smith ones, my sons loved the ones about Lollipop the pig and of course Babe

all the Humphrey books (about a classroom hamster)

Socks by Beverly Cleary 

Mouse and the Motorcycle

Owls in the Family 

Tumtum and Nutmeg

Toys Go Out series by Emily Jenkins 

Clementine books

Ramona books 

Judy Blume’s Fudge books (depending on your perspective these have some things you might want to skip, like a whole plot about where babies come from)

Nim’s Island and Nim at Sea 

Tomie DePaola’s Fairmont Ave. series..these are short chapter books with short chapters that are autobiographical 

Little House on the Prairie..in many ways very “boyishâ€..think about the long section on making bullets or how to make a balloon out of a pig’s bladder 

I’ve also learned that it’s ok to stop in the middle of a chapter or even after a few pages. That’s one way I’ve helped them to lengthen their attention span slowly. Also reading at lunchtime when they are sort of trapped. :)